FJ62 auto transmission filler question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 3 inches below the top of the metal filler pipe is a rubber hose that comes off the pipe. This hose ends with a 90 degree plastic fitting. What is this and where does it attach? My plastic fitting looks cracked and the hose was just hanging next to the transmission housing. I cant seem to find where it connects.

Thanks for any help.

So after looking at the FSM I believe this is the breather plug for the transmission. Still not sure exactly where it connects but looks like on top of the transmission housing somewhere.

Part No.: 90930-03094
PLUG, BREATHER

Part No.: 90301-06005
RING, O

Last edited:
Follow-up on this. My transmission was whining so I pulled the pan and the filter was clogged with non-metalic debris. Looked like dirt wetted by fluid. Once I finished putting in a new filter and sealing everything up I noticed a hose that runs from the top of the filler tube to the transmission was just hanging there. Turns out there is a 90 degree plastic fitting on top of the transmission that is accessed by the tunnel cover under the carpet. That fitting had broken and was allowing or even sucking dirt/dust into the transmission. If you have an FJ62 it is worth checking to make sure this doesnt happen to you. If you do need to replace that part the fitting and o-ring part numbers are listed above. Transmission seems to be running fine now.

Are you sure it was dust and wasn't clutch material? Clutch material from an A440F will look like spat out dip.

I am not sure it wasnt clutch material. What would be other indicators that it was besides the clogged up transmission filter?

And what does that mean is going on with the transmission if it is?

Here’s some not really great photos of the stuff. Kind of hard to tell what it is but more I think about it more likely it is clutch material.
IMG_4607.jpeg
IMG_4606.jpeg
IMG_4605.jpeg

I am not sure it wasnt clutch material. What would be other indicators that it was besides the clogged up transmission filter?

And what does that mean is going on with the transmission if it is?

That does look like clutch material. It certainly doesn't look BAD necessarily, but it is a sign of wear and age. The problem with these transmissions is that they can be made to last, but once you start showing wear like that, you're on borrowed time. Even with an auxiliary cooler and fresh high end ATF in my A440F, at 300K miles it ran right at the overheat point by the time I drove across the state with my H55F loaded in the back to be swapped in. As long as it's running good now, a good cleaning of the screen (don't forget the magnets in the pan) and refilling with good ATF (I had used Schaeffer's but I'm amazed at how well AMSOIL ATF does in my mother's 4Runner and my own power steering) will give you enough time to be budgeting for either a rebuild or a swap in favor of an H55F. If you're comfortable driving a stick, I absolutely recommend the H55F.

I am at around 180k miles now. I put in a new filter and refilled with TOYOTA Genuine Lexus ATF Type T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid. I am good with it being manual. I have heard good things about the swap. I am not sure I am capable of doing a swap myself though, which means I need a shop to do it and that gets pricey.

Thanks anyway for the information. I never thought about it being clutch debris. I had the pan off about 6 months ago because the PO had used RTV on the gasket and I wanted to switch to cork. At that time the filter was clean, so whatever happened must have happened in the last six months.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom