FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought the truck about a month ago and I am now discovering that if it sits idling for about 10 minutes or so it will start to blow blue smoke. I wish I would have seen it when I test drove the thing. NOT HAPPY.

It is a MAF Hi-po 2F rebuild that has about 55K on it. Not impressed on any level with it at this point although it does seem to make decent power.

It does not blow any smoke at all if you drive it around a lot. Only after sitting at idle.

So, I am thinking valve guide seals are shot. Now my truck matches my handle. <SIGH>

Last edited:
Had a truck do the same thing one time.

The INTAKE GASKET was the problem. Only smoked at idle. Burnt a quart between fillups. Put in a new one and that fixed that.

If Valve Guide seals are out, it will smoke at startup and then quit.

WC

I bought the truck about a month ago and I am now discovering that if it sits idling for about 10 minutes or so it will start to blow blue smoke. I wish I would have seen it when I test drove the thing. NOT HAPPY.

It is a MAF Hi-po 2F rebuild that has about 55K on it. Not impressed on any level with it at this point although it does seem to make decent power.

It does not blow any smoke at all if you drive it around a lot. Only after sitting at idle.

So, I am thinking valve guide seals are shot. Now my truck matches my handle. <SIGH>

I have not been impressed with MAF stuff. The best you can do is to verify, A.) that it is oil and not coolant, and B.) where it is getting in, i.e. valve seals or cylinders. If compression is high, it's most likely valves. If it isn't comsuming much it probably isn't worth worrying about.

Ok, you can officially flame me. I am an idiot.

Here is what the issue was:

My carb was running so FAT that it would start to smoke after a 10-15 minute idle. Yep. So much for me verifying what it really was before I spouted off.

It goes to show you that I am an absolute carb noob. I trimmed it way back (idle mixture), but still need to do the lean drop if I can figure that out on my own. Anyone local want to lend me a hand?

You need to apologize to your engine for disparaging it.

Those MAF Hi-po's are built by Martin Davidson and he's da best.

I was thinking about carb loading because my motorcycle used to do it at long lights or just sitting at idle....

glad its an easy fix for you.

Yeah, I was able to lean it back out, but it still seems rich and a bit of a stumbly idle.

No, bone stock Aisan carb. Might do well to be rebuilt, but now just trying to get it to pass smog.

Not much to worry.
How do your spark plugs look?

Had this problem too. One day I changed to a quality oil (Red Line 20W50) and added a Bardahl Stop Smoke Honey.

Problem solved!

dorcom...my problem turned out to be ME being an idiot. Problem has been minimized. Check post #4. Now, just fighting a smaller rich condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom