FJ60 transmission removal doesn't match "Haynes", need help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im installing a new clutch kit and rear main seal on my '83 FJ60. Im to the point in the Haynes manuel where it says to simply unbolt the transmission from the back of the engine, but what Im finding under the truck doesn't match the illustration in the book. I see no bolts going directly into the engine, except the ones behind the flywheel, "not accessable at this time". Im seeing four bolts that seem to mount the transmission to the bell housing. Are these what I need to get. I dont want to just start taking everything apart undernieth the truck if I can avoid it. Anyone know what Im looking for. thanks

Yes remove the four bolts that hold the transmission to the bell housing. I dont believe that you will need to remove the bell housing.
Jesse

That sounds like what I experienced with Haynes which is why I don't have one anymore! I'm not sure on the FJ60 but on a BJ60 there are bolts around the periphery of the bellhousing that attach the bellhousing to the engine. On the BJ60 the bellhousing MUST come off to get to the clutch, and comes off with the tranny/transfer. You'll likely need to pull the starter as well and if the tranny has a crossmember you'll need to support the rear of the engine or you'll bust the engine mounts and find your engine on the ground as well!
Make SURE you have plenty of support and help when you're at the removal stage as it's a heavy off balance assembly. Sometimes the tranny input can be stuck in the pilot bearing making removal a bit of a pain.

Thanks guys, removed the four bolts and had to pry the trany off the housing with a crowbar. The fun part was lowering the trany working two jacks at once. I think Ill rent a transmission jack to reinstall. :p Im planning to replace all the seals that I can while I have it out but Im unsure how to get to the seal between the tranny and transfer. Ever done that one before?

You have to totally disassemble the tcase, to access, not sure if I would tackle this unless it was puking tranny lube into the t case, do not attempt this without a factory service manual. It's a tedious job on the first one, virtually every component in the tcase will be spread out on the workbench.
Butch

David,
Contrary to what the manuals say, it IS possible to rebuild the transfer case with the tranny IN the truck. Check the tranny oil level (make sure the tranny is level as it would be in the truck before opening). If the tranny oil is high and the transfer is low you'll need to do the seals. If the oil level is fine in both, don't fix what ain't broke!

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=9058;start=msg78791#msg78791 date=1072054469]
David,
Contrary to what the manuals say, it IS possible to rebuild the transfer case with the tranny IN the truck. Check the tranny oil level (make sure the tranny is level as it would be in the truck before opening). If the tranny oil is high and the transfer is low you'll need to do the seals. If the oil level is fine in both, don't fix what ain't broke!
[/quote]
???
He's already got them laying on the floor.....
Butch :D

When I drained the fluids I got about 3 quarts from the tranny, and 2 or so from the transfer case. I think thats a little low in both cases but Im thinking that the inner seal is probably ok? yes, no, mabey? Is the manual I need for this the 2f engine manual, or the chassis manual. Im planning on getting both just havent choked up the dough yet.

The fluid estimates are just from me watching how long it took to drain, I could be way off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom