FJ60 Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys and girls I am looking at becoming a member of the cruiser family and I am really liking the FJ60/62. However, I have never owned one of these so I'm reaching out for a little help here. Its hard to do a search since all the problems are scattered throughout the different threads. So I am hoping that you can give me a crash course in the major drawbacks of owning one of these. The one I am looking at is stock and well taken care of, but has 153k on her.

Oh and I know about the super crappy gas mileage! :mad:

Thanks

Phil

Crappy mileage. Normal.

153k miles? Actually kind of low as most have more than that. Even 200k isn't something to be worried about if it was reasonably taken care of.

62s can have auto tranny problems when they are high-mileage and they require a bit of tuning to shift right if neglected. They are sensitive to fluid level, too, high or low. Big expense to rebuild the auto, too. The 60 is less maintenance, but a little harder to pass smog.

The biggest drawback would be smog parts are starting to get scarce if you live in an area that requires that. Keep it tuned and it'll run for a long time.

My 60 has been my DD for the last five years or so. It has well over 260,000 miles on it and still running strong. Keep it well maintained and they will usually treat you well. They are pretty easy to work on even for a wanna be mechanic.

Where I live they stop smog testing at 25 years old so no more worries there...though my truck still passed emissions de-smogged. Now it's just a saftey inspection every couple of years.

If you live in a place with lots of moisture, salt air, or where they salt in the winters use a rust proofer like Fluid Film or something equivalent religiously. As tough as these rigs are they will rust out if you don't stay on it.

Best of luck!
W.

So I am hoping that you can give me a crash course in the major drawbacks of owning one of these.

All the folks here are stupidly over the top crazy about their 60 series trucks...so not much chance of an objective answer to your question...but if pressed, I could offer the following:

Poor fuel milage (I ride a bike to work).
Slow, especially uphill on the freeway.
OEM parts can be expensive (they were Toyota's premium vehicle when sold)
Finding somebody to work on it who knows what they are doing can be a challenge (depending on your location).
No "modern" amenities.
They are designed/built to be rugged, so older ones are often behind in preventive maintance...thus getting one that is new to you can be expensive as you catch up on the deferred work.

Conversly, if you like them, and especially if you use as intended, they are pretty freaking remarkable, and most of the negatives are actually positives when in 4W (except the poor fuel milage).

Avoid rust at all costs if you can.

Strongly suggest finding somebody who's knowledable in older cruisers to do a pre-purchase check for you.

ive had my 60 for about 2 years now ill give you a pros and cons as i see it in my eyes! all of these could be fixed if ya want to throw money at it!

pros

the ladys love it!!!
you can beat the crap out of it every weekend without to much worry of it breaking on you!
where i live there isnt many around so it cool to drive something no one else has i always get the what is that look!
will run forever if taken care of!
looks awesome with a lift! and the lift is easy to do!

cons

it loves the gas and always will!
no power windows in my 60
rides kinda ruff
the power steering is crap!
parts cost a stupid amount and 95% of the time where i live they have to specail order them!!

all in all i love my 60 and would never get rid of it! i say go for it!!!

I have had my 62 for 2 years but have only been driving it for about a month so I don't know all the quirks yet.

Everyone will say its slow. Honestly I don't think it is. I am still trying to figure out how to get it to shift properly. Looks awesome lifted and you dont see many

Are you looking at a 60 or 62? 62 has Fuel Injection which is really nice plus rear shoulder belts, but the drawback is the auto transmission. I have had a 60 for 4 months and have loved it.

Hey slj333 I see you from the not so snowy minnesnowta. I have an 84 FJ 60 I just started to tear down for a full restore. (Owned it for 7yrs now) Good to see another local.

dozerking said:
ive had my 60 for about 2 years now ill give you a pros and cons as i see it in my eyes! all of these could be fixed if ya want to throw money at it!

pros

the ladys love it!!!
you can beat the crap out of it every weekend without to much worry of it breaking on you!
where i live there isnt many around so it cool to drive something no one else has i always get the what is that look!
will run forever if taken care of!
looks awesome with a lift! and the lift is easy to do!

cons

it loves the gas and always will!
no power windows in my 60
rides kinda ruff
the power steering is crap!
parts cost a stupid amount and 95% of the time where i live they have to specail order them!!

all in all i love my 60 and would never get rid of it! i say go for it!!!

Ditto

Owned my 60 for three years and the only drawback is convincing my wife that spending money on a H55F and lockers are necessary… Some parts can be expensive or hard to find… If you’re not afraid of getting your hands dirty or DIY projects they’re a great vehicle to own.

The auto is fine if it has seen any maintenance in its life and is pushing stock tires (or regeared for larger tires). It's even finer if you put an upgraded valve body in it to get 3rd gear lock up (spendy though). The auto gets good mileage on the highway due to the deep overdrive.

That said, I would love to have a manual for on-road, around town driving.

pro's-
cool looking
fun to drive
very capable
unique
easy to work on with minimal tools
not tied to dealer for maintenance
no payment (depending)
manual everything
fj60 can be de-smog'd (depending on location)
rusty bodies can wheeled without worry and holes can be covered with bumper stickers.

cons-
if it needs caught up on maintenance/ needs work it will be atleast part time driveway art
money pit
tough to find parts in stock locally
slow
rusty/holy body held togethor with bumper stickers
gas milage

i personally steer clear of automatic transmissions. especially if a vehicle has high miles. if the trans fluid is black or brown colored walk away.

having said that every car is a losing proposition; so you might as well get one you like.

153k is low mileage and not something to worry about (if its been maintain at all). I bought my 60 in 1991 with 26k. It now has 308k and if it weren't for the rust I would expect it to go on forever. Most 60 guys love their style and robust utility. Enough so that we forgive them their poor mileage and lethargic highway manners. If you want comfort and a nice ride you probably an 80 or 100 series instead.

Most of the mods shown on MUD are pretty expensive when you add them all up. So, if you intend to 'build' up a 60 you need to consider it's final cost.

Ditto on finding good Cruiser mechanics. I got tired of paying well intended idiots to damage my truck instead of fix it and soon learned to do nearly all the maintenance myself. Considering the simplicity of the 60 design, good manuals, and the incredible MUD community resource, its pretty easy to keep a decent truck on the road.

Having an experienced Land Cruiser guy help you inspect your potential purchase is VERY good advice.

Hey slj333 I see you from the not so snowy minnesnowta. I have an 84 FJ 60 I just started to tear down for a full restore. (Owned it for 7yrs now) Good to see another local.
Sounds Good FJ Jake! Would love to connect and see your project. This has been the craziest winter that I can remember. No snow and warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom