FJ60 power steering variants? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.imagestation.com
Dealing with my new crusier. Basically anything different in the FJ60 model years? SOR and TPI catalogs arent helping. And I havent received the tech. manuals yet. basically what I am tring to figure out is whether or not to go saginaw, like my FJ40s, or leave well enough alone.

No changes over the run to my knowledge. Belt-driven pump with crossover style linkages (tie rod & relay rod).

I do not see any references to power steering variations in the model run in the tech manuals. When I studied the PS stuff prior to repairing, I found no references to different parts when dealing with Toyota dealer parts dept.

Mike S

I recall the PS box on earlier(pre 84?) fj60's is different. I don't see a need to run anythinig but the stock stuff unless your running 35"+ tires or something.

Thanks again guys. I am not planning on really running anything bigger than 33" tires on it since I plan to convert it to a tow rig/grocery getter.

I don't think that the power steering ever changed or varied but some, at least up here in Canada, did not have power steering. Here any '60 before '83 was manual steering. Not bad if you're moving but a workout if you're parking or going very slow!
Beleive it or not, the wife prefer's the '82 (no power steering) over the '84 with power steering!

My 88 73 series has the same power steering as a 60 series and when I was looking for one I was told by a dealer that they are still using them in the current HZJ/FZJ 78/79 .I inspected some and they all looked the same on the outside.

[quote author=fr8train link=board=1;threadid=8126;start=msg68956#msg68956 date=1070069030]
Thanks again guys. I am not planning on really running anything bigger than 33" tires on it since I plan to convert it to a tow rig/grocery getter.
[/quote]

you will be fine. MAke sure your PS pump is not leaking, if it's leaking it will eventually take out(ruin) the air pump below it.

John H

As I recalled the fj60 PS box are different over the years.

stolen info from Rick D

1981-2 and 1983-4/5 I believe have one bolt pattern, but the 1st generation may be different still.
1985+ is same as 1997 FZJ80, so 80 series boxes fit late FJ60's (A.N. in LA had an 80 box on his FJ60/HJ61 and one on his FJ62/HJ61 --he converted both to 12H-T's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom