FJ60 investment? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a 1985 fj60 that my parents are original owners of. It is completely original and it really runs like a top even with 285k miles. My dad has been thinking about getting some rust fixed on it and repainted as it needs it. i got an estimate to have the drivers side door replaced, new rocker on one side, new quarters put in and totally repainted. total will be about 4000-4500. Doesnt sound to bad for all the work. Do you guys think it is smart to do it on a car this old and with this mileage. my dad is questioning it but i think it is a good move as he may never sell it and it does run awesome even with the mileage. well just wanted some opinions. thanks

If the engine were to blow, would he rebuild/replace it? If the answer is yes, then by all means keep the body up. If the answer is no, then he might be 100-150K away from having a great-looking truck that needs a new/rebuilt engine!! :cheers:

I second that. $4500 plus the cost of a new engine could get you a fairly rust free southwest truck.

Now, if you could weld, I'd say do the work yourself and have fun. Dump in a used 2F if the original goes.

I wouldn't put it in as an "investment". If you/your dad are sentimental about the truck then that is one reason to do it but I doubt if you'll be able to get your money out of it, and like others have said with that mileage you could have mechanical issues down the road as well.

That being said, I have a big red money pit/FJ60 that I put more money into than any sane person would... :D

haven. you are very right. my dad keeps saying he wants to know what we could get out of it even though i no that my parents would never ever sell the 60 b/c all the memories with it i think. almost 20yrs with it, it wouldnt make any logical sense to sell it. even if he repainted it and whatnot and got say 5-6k out of what car could he buy for 5-6k that could replace the 60. not much these days.

CruiserHead,

I just finished putting in 2 rear quarters, 2 doors, and an upper tailgate. The I had the entire thing repainted. Also, if your going to do the exterior, redo the interior as well. It is great to have new seats, and carpet, and door panels, and console, and ... :D

You'll have a new looking '85 landcruiser. You don't see many '60s in fabulous condition. I would suggest spend $15K and get the entire thing reconditioned. You can't by a great truck anymore for $15K, especially one that's been in the family for 20 years...

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=11482;start=msg104616#msg104616 date=1076723467]
I second that. $4500 plus the cost of a new engine could get you a fairly rust free southwest truck.

Now, if you could weld, I'd say do the work yourself and have fun. Dump in a used 2F if the original goes.
[/quote]

Not sure if it's just me, but that price sounds damn high. If you could get the engine re-built (didn't see that as happening in the post) and the body work done and new paint then YES. I would do it in a heartbeat. You won't regret it.

All that money and work and no fresh engine; fizuck thizat. Waste of Cashola.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom