FJ60 conversion to BJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
FYI, we did a conversion yesterday and from the time I left my house and drove a hour to the cruiserheads shop we had the engine fitted and mounts welded in about two hours. That included hooking the H55 up to the engine.

I gave him some insight into the conversion and he opted to pull the entire wiring harness which made the hook up very strait forward.

To me is seemed like a lot of extra work installing the wiring harness and I would of used aftermarket timers and switchs plus a push pull cable for the EDIC.

Now this may seem like a strange conversion here in Canada, but the guy found a mint California truck and I had a rusted out BJ60 he purchased for the drive train.

I was curious about the 4 speed cross mount and it is exactly the same as the one of the H55. According to the blue prints the tranny mount is about 5 Mil difference which seems neglegiable.

Rob

My camera is on the blink.

I have some updates on the 1HZ and 3Binstallation coming soon.

The 3B into the FJ60 is a straitforward installation and dolllar for dollar I do not think there is not anything that can surpass it......

Now I had heard this before, I think the FJ60 mounts are in the same location as the HJ 60 mounts? This would make sense as the HJ shares the same imput shaft as the FJ?

Rob

[quote author=Radd Cruisers link=board=21;threadid=10609;start=msg95226#msg95226 date=1075055973]
I gave him some insight into the conversion and he opted to pull the entire wiring harness which made the hook up very strait forward.
[/quote]

Curious, aren't the 60 series harnesses 3 pieces? IE there are 2 connectors at the point at which the harness enters the fire wall. Then the piece that is under the dash.

To me is seemed like a lot of extra work installing the wiring harness and I would of used aftermarket timers and switchs plus a push pull cable for the EDIC.

Does one have to used a timer? I assume you're talking about the glow timer, right?

[quote author=Radd Cruisers link=board=21;threadid=10609;start=msg95226#msg95226 date=1075055973]
I was curious about the 4 speed cross mount and it is exactly the same as the one of the H55. According to the blue prints the tranny mount is about 5 Mil difference which seems neglegiable.

Rob
[/quote]

The tranny mount for the 4 speed is different than the 5 speed. Swap the crossmember. The front shaft will have VERY little clearance with the 4 speed crossmember and will likely rub under articulation.

[quote author=Overlord link=board=21;threadid=10609;start=msg95471#msg95471 date=1075097487]
Curious, aren't the 60 series harnesses 3 pieces? IE there are 2 connectors at the point at which the harness enters the fire wall. Then the piece that is under the dash.Does one have to used a timer? I assume you're talking about the glow timer, right?

[/quote]

'81 BJ60 harness is one peice under the dash and up both sides of the front clip. NO connectors anywhere. I pulled one for the 3B into the FJ55.

The cross memeber looked and measured the same.

Maybe its the 5 Mil difference that is on the cruiser blue print?

Yes the wiring harness is slightly different and the connectors for the rear half of the truck differ.

Rob

Rob,
I did an H55 swap from my '84 BJ60 to my '82 BJ60 and the crossmembers were different.

Hmmm, we went from a BJ60 to a FJ60 with a four speed and I measured and looked really hard at the cross member and there appeared to be no difference?

I had heard there is a big change from the 81 BJ60 to 83 BJ60 with H55, does this seem to be the case?

Rob

Did the FJ60 have the H42 with the spacer, that in effect mimics the H55F? If so, then there would be no difference. Was the bellhousing cast or aluminum for the H55F Rob?

gb

I think aluminum, it was very greasy.

Off topic, got my 80 series and I have to say little things like pulling the brake calipers off with a soft line is a pleasure. Looks like a bunch of nice engineering and design.

Rob

Rob,
On my swap there was not enough room to put a finger between the front shaft and the crossmember with the 4 speed ('82) crossmember but lots of room with the 5 speed ('84) crossmember. Another guy who did a swap into an '81 had rubbing issues with his crossmember.
On the floor the crossmembers looked the same.

I realize I'm drudging up an old thread here, but rather than email Rob offlist, I thought open discussion might be better down the road when someone else needs answers....

[quote author=Greg_B link=board=21;threadid=10609;start=msg95881#msg95881 date=1075190488]
Did the FJ60 have the H42 with the spacer, that in effect mimics the H55F? If so, then there would be no difference. Was the bellhousing cast or aluminum for the H55F Rob?

gb
[/quote]

You weren't sure on the answer to this, Rob, since the bellhousing was greasy. But what year was the FJ60? If it was an '85, what month was it? That'll clear the haze...

I realize that the later FJ60's are set up with a spacer and thus can take an H55F without mods, but I've also heard the theory that the crossmember on the H55 equipped BJ60 is in the same location as the early FJ60's that *don't* mimic the H55. Maybe because the four cylinder 3B benefits from being further forward? I don't know.

So we still don't know which - early or late - FJ60's are a direct swap candidate for a 3B/H55.

But we do know that Robs was a direct swap with no driveshaft mods or problems. If you can tell us, Rob, the year of the FJ, then all would be clear....

Thanks,
Reid

1983 FJ60 comes to mind.

Thanks, Rob! That kind of confirms the rumor I've heard about the location of the crossmember in a BJ. Take it easy...
Reid

Regarding cross member.
I'm the guy cruiser guy is referring to.
I have an 81 BJ60 and put in an H55.
I used the 4 speed crossmember at first.
As soon as I drove it for the first time I ripped off a grease zerk right away.
Also the shaft rubbed on the member when I turned or went over small bumps.
Put in a later crossmember for 5 speed and there is way more space there. NO problems at all now.
The groove in the 5 speed member is wider and a bit deeper.

The guy who did his install here on Vancouver island claimed a little grinding on the cross memeber and he was good to go if you cannot get your hands on a H55 cross memeber.

Something to keep in mind when purchasing the H55 is to ask for the cross memeber if possible.

We are looking at a FJ40 conversion and hope to get the cross memeber so that we can cut it down and mount it to the 40 frame. So the mounts to the frame are cut off carefully and reused, gives it a reall factory look.

Rob

The guy who did his install here on Vancouver island claimed a little grinding on the cross memeber and he was good to go if you cannot get your hands on a H55 cross memeber.

Something to keep in mind when purchasing the H55 is to ask for the cross memeber if possible.

We are looking at a FJ40 conversion and hope to get the cross memeber so that we can cut it down and mount it to the 40 frame. So the mounts to the frame are cut off carefully and reused, gives it a reall factory look.

Rob

Just to update this...
If you are going from a 4 speed BJ60 (crossmember 51202-60070) to a 5 speed BJ60 (crossmember 51202-60071) the crossmember is different for sure.
If you are going from the 5 speed BJ60 to the 4 speed FJ60 the FJ60 crossmember (51202-60071) is the same (at least up to Oct 1984 from what I understand). From November 1984 to March 1985 there was a crossmember change on the BJ60 (51202-60072) so I am not sure how that works out when swapping to an earlier or later FJ60 (I know the later FJ60 has a different crossmember also) as I only have experience with the earlier models...
Hope this clarifies a bit...

So it has been a few years since I posted and I just wanted to say that I am still driving the same Landcruiser.

Although, since moving to Alberta a few years ago I don't drive it in the winter anymore which has reduced the annual mileage quit a bit.

Oh and there may be a part two beginning...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom