FJ60 Clutch Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to list the issues first and then some of the “fixes“ i’ve tried. Here we go…

Clutch pedal had to be pushed to the floor to even consider shifting gears

After last 170 mile trip I couldn’t get the truck into any forward gear while engine is/was running, no prob while off.. Won’t even let me leave neutral while running except for reverse, which grinds like hell.

Shift lever always seemed “sticky” and unsmooth

Installed new slave cylinder and bled system. Lots of fluid inside the boot surrounding the pin on the old one so I figured there was blow around and that could have been the issue. New slave cylinder does not solve the issue.

New slave cylinder works well, activating the clutch fork as it should. It just seems as if the fork isn’t activating enough…

Looks like a new aftermarket Master Cylinder was installer prior to my purchase, could it be too small, not pushing enough fluid to fully operate the slave??

Clutch looks to have been replaced. Again, I have no way of confirming…but it just looks newer than I’d expect the original to look (1985)

TOTALLY CONFUSED….

IMHO you should always replace the master and slave together

does the shifter move easily thru the gears when the engine is off?

you can remove the lower cover on the bellhousing and have someone step on the pedal and you can see what is happening with the throw out bearing

learn to shift without the clutch

IMHO you should always replace the master and slave together

does the shifter move easily thru the gears when the engine is off?

you can remove the lower cover on the bellhousing and have someone step on the pedal and you can see what is happening with the throw out bearing

learn to shift without the clutch
Master is on order, and yes, easy through the gears when the engine is off. Lower cover is already removed and everything SEEMS to be working as it should… I’ve tried starting the engine while in gear, sometimes there is a clunk noise and then I can shift while running… staring to think its the clutch…pressure plate cooked or something along those lines… it’s the first 60 of four that I’ve owned that required a full pedal push to engage/disengage… appreciate your response!!! Thank you!

My guess is the clutch master cylinder ain’t working as it should. It’s probably not pushing enough fluid- so clutch actuation is insufficient.
If you take off the clutch inspection cover (engine off) and hold down the clutch pedal all the way to the floor (with a board) and put transmission in neutral, you should be able to easily spin the clutch disc when under the truck with your finger tips. If the disc is binding —the clutch pressure plate isn’t being pushed out far enough (master cylinder).

Last edited:
My guess is the clutch master cylinder ain’t working as it should. It’s probably not pushing enough fluid- so clutch actuation is insufficient.
If you take off the clutch inspection cover (engine off) and hold down the clutch pedal all the way to the floor (with a board) and put transmission in neutral, you should be able to easily spin the clutch disc when under the truck with your finger tips. If the disc is binding —the clutch pressure plate isn’t being pushed out far enough (master cylinder).
Excellent tip… going to try that first thing in the morning once I get the house to myself….ill let you know what transpires…

@stevebotag Also make sure you got the correct slave cylinder. Early trucks like mine (May of 84) have an adjustable rod and external return spring, AISIN CRT019. Late trucks have a fixed length rod and no external spring, AISIN CRT021.

Just adding some tech for future onlookers even if this isn’t the case here.

^^
This

Transition is 5/85 to the newer style. Make sure you have the correct one.

This is the part where I ALWAYS tell new members to SPEND the $20/year subscription so you can post copious pictures of your setup and make it that much easier for people to help you. ONE fix and you'll have saved a lifetime's worth of MUD membership subscription, not to mention you'll also avoid all those popup ads.

CRT019-1.jpg

CRT021-1.jpg

Excellent tip… going to try that first thing in the morning once I get the house to myself….ill let you know what transpires…
Hello fellow Ventura County cruiser! Curious how this issue played out, were you able to get it resolved?

I am having an issue where I can only shift from neutral to reverse on my manual 4 speed with engine both on and off. Looked through the FSM and trying to do process of elimination...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom