FJ60 Carb Rebuilt, Help - needs further tweaking...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vae Victus

Posting more than I know
Threads
I'm about to sell this, but I know it has some issues. This is the Rainman carb from his recent rebuild.

Here are photos. @FJ40Jim - you were giving Rainey some advice along about here (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/first-fj40-build-in-a-long-time.742351/page-19).

With the photos below, what else needs to be done to ensure that when I sell this, it is setup at least correctly for someone to have a chance to use it properly?

IMG_7081.jpg
IMG_7082.jpg
IMG_7084.jpg
IMG_7086.jpg
IMG_7087.jpg

Nice pictures.

The obvious things are the connector has been cut off of the solenoid wire and a top cover screw is too long.
Other than that you can't tell much by looking at it. there could be a lot wrong that you can't see from the outside.
Any unknown carb that you haven't run should be regarded as a "core" until proven otherwise.

Two air horn screws are too long, because they should have the AC idle up can & the ICS clip under said screws. Ramming them in will bend/buger the end of the screw, making them hard to remove or install. Reinstalling the AC idle-up assembly would be a good idea.

The choke speed screw is cranked down all the way, probably somebody trying to adjust base idle. Back the choke screw out and set idle position per FSM.

Two air horn screws are too long, because they should have the AC idle up can & the ICS clip under said screws. Ramming them in will bend/buger the end of the screw, making them hard to remove or install. Reinstalling the AC idle-up assembly would be a good idea.

The choke speed screw is cranked down all the way, probably somebody trying to adjust base idle. Back the choke screw out and set idle position per FSM.

Thanks Jim.

Below are the other items you said to Rainey when looking at it before. Are these items fixed in your opinion, besides what you mentioned above, which I will do? (LOL at "Reinstalling the AC idle-up assembly would be a good idea.").

The carb is 81-87 FJ60 (w/AC).
It looks purty and was recently rebuilt.
Issues:
- The AP plunger is the wrong one, the too-tall 79-80 plunger. Rebuild with correct kit.
- The 81- carbs are shorter, so the air cleaner lid will not sit properly on the top of the carb. install taller carb or shorter valve cover & air cleaner.
- Vacuum advance hose is connected to HAC fitting. Move it to the fitting that is a little lower, angled to the rear.
- AC idle up pot is hooked to a vacuum source. Disconnect it. Better yet, remove the whole idle up mechanism.
- Hi-idle speed screw is missing. Install adjuster screw from AC idle up
- The PB vac fitting is open. Needs connected to booster.
- Non-stock fuel feed line looks like it will interfere with aircleaner.
- Missing fuel return line.
- Coolant temp sensor and heater nipple are reversed (not critical, just FYI)

Yes, that choke speed screw should not be cranked down so far that the spring is stacked. It might be a different length than the correct screw, though. If the FJ60 AC idle up system is put back, then it would be simple to scrounge up the correct hi-idle screw & spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom