Fj55 6.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice man.

Not much bigger than a sbc. The a/c is mounted low and wide but everything else is pretty much the same. I popped the a/c pump off and no other problems. I bought some generic block hugger headers and they fit with room to spare.

Uhhh well that's a win! Engine mounts are done and the engine and trans are sitting in it without help from the hoist. Probably took the engine in and out 8 times. My old trans crossmember looks like it can be easily modified to fit, plus I can raise it 2" for a less intrusive undercarriage. The new headers dump in the perfect location which I was really worried about.
20171204_103959.jpg

20171204_103932.jpg

Nice!

two questions:
-why not separate the engine and tranny and connect from below (rig lifted) after you got the engine in?
-did the cross-member (i assume the AA propeller that's 28" wide) reach across the frame all the way with the NV4500? I am trying to get a SBC/NV4500 in my 55 and it lines up further back where the frame widens to more like 36". If you had that same problem, what did you do?

The transmission and transfer case are somewhere around 200 pounds. Lifting it a couple feet in the air is sketchy on a good day, much less sliding the whole thing forward to engage the clutch. I'm using a np241 not a cruiser transfer case so I don't have the propeller mount. But even if I was, the propeller is far easier to bolt on from underneath than lifting 200 pounds and lining everything up. One option is to remove the dog house and use an engine crane through the door to safely lift the trans and transfer case. For what it's worth I have had a fj40 with the propeller mount and it was severely broken from offroading. The front clip was a pain to remove but it makes working on everything really nice and easy.

Just some generic ebay weld in mounts. They were nothing special. The 55 is in Texas now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom