FJ45 rollovers and the need for a roll cage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's the ticket. Fill it full of foamy paddle boards and never drive it. That's California safe.

Happy Independence Day Toyoteros.
So true about regulating “safety”...every form of government, trying to protect us from ourselves, till our brains fall out !! o_O

Great discussion! I believe that best way to protect against a rollover is to prevent it from happening in the first place, and address the cause: high center of gravity (and too narrow track width); off-road terrains; high speed, especially at sharp turns; intoxication; cell phones; other distractions, worn-out/loose suspension, etc. But then there are things that are out of our control: accidents, weather, tire blowouts, etc. How do you address those besides just parking the truck?

It is also interesting to note that NHTSA stated that rollovers account for 45 percent of all pickup truck deaths. The FJ45 hardtop will offer no rollover protection whatsoever and will even collapse during such a event, making it fatal. It is a wake-up call for me.

My observation is that the FJ40 crowds are more acceptance to the idea of a roll cage than the FJ45 crowds! So, to sum up this thread, it seems that there are 3 schools of thought regarding rollover protection:

1. Install the roll cage but add appropriate padding to the head area.

2. Alternative protections: install a roll bar or a bed canopy in the bed w/braces and legs.

3. Against the idea for these reasons: there is no room; accept the risk when driving an old, off-road truck; roll cage can hit your skull and kill you just as well; just drive slow instead; purists say nah; just park the truck.

Regarding CA regulations increasingly intruding on our rights, I know it well for I live in this commie state running by them libs. But the only thought on my mind right now is how to keep my neck on during a rollover event.

Cuteo,

Sorry if I sidetracked your concern. Something is better than nothing, and the better design and fabrication you do will certainly offer some safety. I think like most convertible drivers, many of us have simply accepted the risks of old vehicles rather than go through a long process to lessen, but not eliminate, the danger.

When you look at modern race cars and their roll cage designs and see drivers escape unscathed after a horrible crash, the value of a cage is definitely there. But short of a ground-up engineered and fabbed comprehensive complete design that would be highly awkward as an everyday driver, even a modern automobile with door side guards, standard seat belting, and multiple airbags cannot promise that level of protection for a driver or a family. And still without a race car head restraint, 5-point quick release belt, fireproof suit, onboard fire supression system, and an on-track rescue group at the ready, surviving intact from an accident situation is still a matter of luck.

As the world approaches driver-less cars, it will be interesting to see how the designs and regulations attempt to protect unbelted unaware passengers from the hazards of future travelling.

Good luck with your project; you have my support for what it's worth. Look forward to see what you come up with and will be envious of your results.

My perspective is that of a LV owner, a bodyshop owner/operator, a motorcycle rider, cigar smoker, smart phone divorcee, as well as an ice hockey player :
I definitely know the risks, but the thrill and vulnerability is part of the experience. And although I don't choose the safest equipment, I also don't mandate that my family has to join in.

And I carry really good life insurance ! ;)

af29937669ddd7b011afb4c3bb667836.jpg

i owned & enjoyed one an Austin Mini Moke (green)......and rented one (90´s) in the Seychelles -driving on the left-
...the end.

Last edited:
I don’t mean to sound morbid but...death IS part of life. It’s like seat belts, I would fight for your free right to choose whatever YOU decide. Unfortunately the Bar Association & greedy clients have ruined our landscape.....

To give closure to this thread, I decided to install the MetalTech4x4 cage. My local welder took on the job, fitting it up first with doors and hardtop on, then removing and finishing it outside.

Last edited:
The hardest decision was to mod the fuel tank (my spare one) and lose the filler neck/hose. Many people deleted the tank completely, but I want to keep it. Other than that, everything fits well.

Last edited:
Installed. No room for triangulation, but better than nothing. Could add a few more support bars later. Haven't tied it to the frame, yet, but still debating.

20190817_185346.jpg

20220703_194433.jpg

68704290_2737432639603636_6897902684955738112_n.jpg

20190817_185636.jpg

20230521_120743.jpg

Last edited:
Without some triangulation in that "b" pillar loop, it's not very strong. Still better than nothing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom