Fj40 won’t crank - help me get home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clean both battery terminals and the ground end of the negative where it attaches to the frame or engine. I keep one of these little tools around that has wire brushes for cleaning male and female terminals. After using that I use a paste of baking soda and water and an old tooth brush. Then smear some vasoline on the terminals after everything is cleaned and reconnected. I've started more than one vehicle over the years that had the same problem you have after cleaning the terminals.

HTH
Pete

I totally forgot about push starting a vehicle! I did that all the time in high school.

If replacing, a gear reduction starter would be a nice upgrade.

Do you suspect foul play? What’s your point?
I'm guessing it was just a note that the ol rig was talking for a while, giving some notice to dig deeper before ending up stranded.

All's well that ends well, but it is always nice to catch small problems before they turn into bigger ones.

And indeed, the gear reduction starters get good reviews, although I'm still running my Big Bertha from the factory.

Hope you get it figured out…check the cable/wire that come from ignition to starter. Make sure that’s seated on tight. It may have come loose and not connected. As mentioned above a gear reduction starter is a solid improvement!

For push start without friend there is also this technic:
Clever! First I've heard of that one and I can think right back to when I could of used it.

Do you suspect foul play? What’s your point?

The point is how tough these old Land Cruisers are. By the posts this has been a on going issue for years. Didn't give up the ghost all of a sudden just kept working. OP should be happy this didn't happen in the middle of nowhere where you expect to see an FJ40 verses in a parking lot in town.

By the posts this has been a on going issue for years.
The issue back then was with corroded wiring near the fusible link. I replaced all that and it was fixed. The starter didn't give any signs of going out.
Edit: never mind, yeah the hesitation could have been a sign.

Last edited:
I had problems with the contacts in the starter becoming oxidized over time from arcing. It takes about 10 minutes to remove and disassemble the starter to clean the contacts. It started with very similar symptoms, a slight hesitation before the engine would actually turn over. That's also how I found out i can push start an FJ40 myself by shifting into 4 low and holding the clutch down with my hand.

Guys, when we were checking it out we even bypassed the solenoid and applied power to the starter motor directly and the motor wouldn’t spin👎 It’s all good now, I’m told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom