Fj40 sway bar questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20180601_161144.jpg
20171202_201634.jpg
20180108_212150.jpg
20180811_183143.jpg

I'm thinking of adding a sway bar to my 69 fj40 and was hopjng to run a few ideas past the experts.

The 40 has an fj60 axle/ifs hubs with radius arms, coils and a track bar up front and out back theres outboarded fj60 leaf packs and an soa'd fzj80 rear axle.

First question, will a sway mounted to the rear axle be as effective as one up front? Space is tight in the front and I seem to remember 80 series guys ditching the front sway and keeping the rear but still getting the rear to flex like crazy while maintaining decent road manners.

Second question. As far as rear sways go i have 2 options, the stocker 80 series sway i got with my axle (id have to see if it would still fit with the leaf set up) or a currie sway kit. Should i even bother with the 80 bar or just skip to the currie kit? I tooks some preliminary measurements and it looks like a 40" currie bar would fit nicely between the tub and frame abead of the rear axle with some massaging...

Just started giving this some thought after a little road trip in the 40 last week. It wasnt terrible but I think a sway bar would do wonders on twisty roads at highway speeds. Any insight or advice is appreciated!

D

I'm thinking of adding a sway bar to my 69 fj40 and was hopjng to run a few ideas past the experts.

The 40 has an fj60 axle/ifs hubs with radius arms, coils and a track bar up front and out back theres outboarded fj60 leaf packs and an soa'd fzj80 rear axle.

First question, will a sway mounted to the rear axle be as effective as one up front? Space is tight in the front and I seem to remember 80 series guys ditching the front sway and keeping the rear but still getting the rear to flex like crazy while maintaining decent road manners.

Second question. As far as rear sways go i have 2 options, the stocker 80 series sway i got with my axle (id have to see if it would still fit with the leaf set up) or a currie sway kit. Should i even bother with the 80 bar or just skip to the currie kit? I tooks some preliminary measurements and it looks like a 40" currie bar would fit nicely between the tub and frame abead of the rear axle with some massaging...

Just started giving this some thought after a little road trip in the 40 last week. It wasnt terrible but I think a sway bar would do wonders on twisty roads at highway speeds. Any insight or advice is appreciated!

D
I'd look at a Currie kit or one from this other company I cannot recall, but is about $150 less than Currie.

Please recall.... so i can save 150...

D

Thanks!

D

I run a rear sway bar only, but on a triangulated 4 link (not leaf like yours). I tied the lower two arms together so that I can have flex without some of the attendant problems of tying a bar to the frame. It works well, but I also have more then a little experience on sizing sway bars. I use a 5/8" bar - which seems small, but it goes down the road at 70 on 38 inch bias ply mudders so I must have gotten something right....

On yours, what are you trying to accomplish? with 4 coil-overs, you can have weight-induced lean - which can make life pretty hairy without a sway bar on the road. You don't have that issue when you have leaf springs (they don't like to twist, which creates it's own sway-bar-effect)...

I'd look in the Helwig catalog for add-on rear stabilizer kits and find the softest (read, smallest) bar that fits. I'd then look in bolt-on for Range and Land Rovers.... those kits run about $125.

Front sway bar will be the most effective. Rear won't be as much but every bit can help. I would focus on making a front sway bar fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom