fj40 steering rods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
Ok well my cruiser is lifes bout 4 inches and has 35s the steering is so bad when i drive it that its unsafe to drive. If im going about 30 and hit a bump theres so much slop in the rods that the whole cruiser shakes so bad it feels liek its gonna fall apart. The ruber that holds the greese in is all gone and the slop can be seen by turning the rod back and form with my bare hands. What do u guys think should i replace them? and how do i get them off? any help would help.

mike

Check for slop by having a friend turn the wheel back and forth a bit while you watch the components like rod ends. There are adjustments for some of the components.

Definately adjust the steering box, pitman arm, and the torque on the tie rods. Replacing them is not too difficult, so while your down there you might aswell. Your looking at a good half day to do it right. Just have someone that knows what their doing to help you, or take it directly to someone to double check your work. This is your connection with the road, so make sure its done well. Also, as a side note, I had some serious death wobble on my truck when I finished its resto, and couldn't figure it out. Somehow (oops) my steering stabilizer had loosened up, and couldn't cope with my tires. So check that too.

yeah i checked it already and adjusted everything to be ajusted and well i droped the money on new tire rod ends :cheers: im gonna put those in this weekend and see if it makes a diff im sure it will as the old ones are missing all the rubber and bind every time they move back and forth.

thanks again
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom