FJ40 seat frame question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crinkler

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1970 FJ40 with a 60/40 seat set up. the drivers seat seems fine. the pasenger seat does not fit correctly. front legs are different lengths and bolt hole alignment is all a little off. I believe this is a fj45 passenger seat but not certain. has anyone run in to this before? i can post pics if it helps.

I have a 71 FJ. I had to remove the passenger seat to replace the gas tank, so I remember a bit about it. The legs are different lengths. The back two legs, I believe are the same length, or very close same length to each other. The two front legs have to reach further down for the floor (I think), but on mine they weren't the same length. The one near the door is longer and goes right to the floor. The one toward center of vehicle is shorter, so does not reach the floor, but in mine, there was a metal pipe that made up the difference to the floor, the bolt went through the "foot" of the leg, through the metal pipe and through the floor to right above the transmission, that one is HARD to get unbolted. Mine may not be the same as yours because the "tub" in mine is a replacement aluminum aftermarket, so could be that it isn't exactly the same in that exact spot as the original tub. ANYWAY: Just because they are different lengths does not mean they will for sure not work. If the alignment is way off of the holes in the floor, that is a whole different issue, I can shed no light on that.

JD, Thanks for the reply. I took a look at several other 1970 fj40''s and mine appears the same. I realized the pinch weld on my after market fuel tank was the hang up. this typically is bent down for clearance. I tweeked that pinch weld and it is lining up with the threaded holes in the tub now. the only issue is the outer leg is 3/4 of an inch from touching the floor. i migh be making a spacer too?

Paul......

JD, Thanks for the reply. I took a look at several other 1970 fj40''s and mine appears the same. I realized the pinch weld on my after market fuel tank was the hang up. this typically is bent down for clearance. I tweeked that pinch weld and it is lining up with the threaded holes in the tub now. the only issue is the outer leg is 3/4 of an inch from touching the floor. i migh be making a spacer too?

Paul......
Glad you found the problem, yes, a spacer sounds like the ticket, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom