FJ40 long range use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are drinking the "expedition" kool-ade.

Your 55 is almost ready for anything in it's stock form. No need for a major build.

I've done this type of trip in my 40. I had suspension seats put in and everything else was pretty much stock. Camped most every night.

11 days, early July.

Day1: Bay area of CA, through Yosemite, camp near Mammoth at Convict Lake. Day 2: Down 395 and then dirt roads through much of Death Valley and out to Vegas to pick up my buddy from the airport.
Day 3: Vegas to Zion, hiking, and sight seeing.
Day 4: Zion to Moab, mechanical issues had to stop in Green River.
Day 5: Finally arrive in Moab, get a gnarly flat, Moab Brewery for some much needed beer and food.
Day 6-7: Wheeling Moab, mountain biking, hiking.
Day 8: Moab to Boulder to visit family
Day 9: Boulder to random roadside in Utah, wheeled out into the desert at 1 am and slept under the stars.
Day 10: Utah to Reno, another flat at 2 am. Said screw it and went to sleep.
Day 11: Toss on the spare tire and run home with no spare.

I carried 3 jerry cans of fuel, one jerry of water, a cooler, tools and parts, and camping gear. It was cozy in the rig, I had things strapped to the cage all over.

It's doable and it is fun, but it is loud, hot, rough, and forget having a conversation. I left headphones in most of the time so I could think. I averaged around 12mpg and 55 to 60 mph. 31's stock suspension and a locked rear axle.

That sounds awesome. That's a ton of driving.

Not drinking the kookaid, just think I'd be happier with a slightly more built 55 then it totally stock, my shoulder is messed up and I think no PS would be hard on my shoulder off road for days on end. Ideally I'd love to put a 3FE and 5 speed into the 55 if I do use it for long distance stuff, PS and disk brakes would be nice too.

Ya know, you should just go. Your 55 will be fine.

I have a basically stock FJ62 and for "expo use" it's great. I would rather spend the $ and make the memories and travel, then any amount of build in the driveway.

In a wagon, sliders and rear bumper are nice to prevent $$ body damage, but everything else is optional. My FJ62 isn't even locked, and it's gone on a lot of trips and going to Death Valley in a few weeks.

I agree with CruiserDrew, spend a little time making sure the stock drive train is reliable and has fresh fluids and go.

That was what I did, I got the idea in my head, called a friend to see if he was interested in tagging along, and I was on the road 3 days later. Things are going to happen on the road, but you own a cruiser and you can fix it with a hammer and some duct tape and run it another 1000 miles like that.

Go out and just enjoy how simple the rig is. It's not fast, it's not sporty, but tons of people are going to talk to you about what you are up to and you'll be all smiles.

Do what backpackers and motorcyclists do. Get everything you want to take, spread it out and look at it carefully.......Then divide it in half. I've done long 3 - 4 week trips with my FJ40, the biggest thing is be organized and realistic as to what you need and want.

And practice using what you will take, before you take it.

That's a pretty smart idea.. camp in our pasture with what we have... ha ha.

I have too many cruisers... this would be easy if I had less cruisers, I would use the one I have. ha ha.

Thanks all for the comments. I will just have to take the 40 on a longer trip and see what I think. And then do the same with the 55 and figure it out with some actual use. :)

Alternative to the wagon option

This is the set up that I've used to enjoy long trips...

image.jpg

That's very cool. I've been thinking of building a camping trailer for my 40. My wife and I talked a lot this weekend about it and I think I'm going to do it. Even in a wagon a trailer would be pretty cool to have sometimes.

Have you put any inside storage or anything? Once I finish my repairing my tailgate, I was going to start building a storage area for my 40.

Love that ladder too, that's pretty cool. Wouldn't it make more sense though over the rear tire? Seem like it would be easier to use.

Mine did the same thing---my Sister-in-Law and her husband bought the cruiser new in '77(calif) and immediately drove to Alaska(he was a Forest Ranger).The rig spent 8 yrs there, before returning to Idaho, then SD, then Mt., then Oregon, then ND, back to Mt, where he retired. I bought it from the Sister after her husband passed. I would love to recreate the journey this truck has seen-(345K miles-if you believe her). As hairy_apple says--got to talk with her about how they did it. Can't imagine what it would take for 3 of us in that thing for so long--gotta be a trailer in there somewhere--

Back when I got my first 40 I did a lot of long trips in it. That was in the 70's , the Cruiser was almost new and I didn't groan when I stood up after a night sleeping on the ground. I was also a back packer and use basically the same kit for everything so all my gear fit into a largish external frame back pack. How long you want to travel in a 40 will depend a lot on you. For example back then I didn't mind crawling in my sleeping bag wrapping up in a canvas tarp and waiting out a wind storm in the desert or rain storm in Oregon. Now days not so much. :rolleyes:

BTW wind storms in the desert are every bit as uncomfortable as Cdrew implies even inside a well fit out wagon or travel trailer.

Lately I've returned to the backpackers mentality when making trips in My 40. That tactic combined with mixing camping with occasional hotel stays might work out for extended trips in a 40.

My wife and I spend a lot of our vacation time at Sand Mt... we are no strangers to wind storms in the desert.

We got married there last year and we got a pretty awesome "sand hurricane" during our wedding. We laughed about it, but I'm not sure some of our guests were impressed with our wedding location.

556713_4400767612275_555734153_n_zps10b5a046.jpg

That's not snow or rain... that's sand flying everywhere!

I have figured out I think I'm going to build a trailer for the 40. I just want to keep my 55 bone stock and make a cool little camping trailer for the 40. I am torn, both are very cool trucks, but my 40 is my first love and I really want to retire it from rockcrawling and give it a slightly safer life. I almost rolled it bad last time we went wheeling and that really upset me and got me thinking how devastated I would be if I destroyed it in the rocks.

I am going to swap the 350 and sm420 in to the rusty beat to hell 55 I have (I have two 55s). I have a 87 2F that I am planning a 2FE with and putting a 5 speed in the 40. I was going to do this before I decided to retire it from crawling and now it actually makes even more sense. A trailer for all the crap and I think we'll have a very nice little exploring platform.

K.I.S.S.

Think backpack or dual sport motorcycle...

There is absolutely no reason two people couldn't go around the world in a stock (Reliable!) FJ40.

I would mod for range (aux tank or Gerry cans), run a quality set of seats, and call it done. And in the USA even that is probably not required.

Freakin' cool!

I love the way they've got that thing set up.

I've thought about a RTT but also worry that it might be a bit too top heavy with one. I'm SOA and it's not too bad as it is, but adding weight up high isn't something I would love. I've also thought about a roof rack for light stuff light sleeping bags and whatnot.

Just some thoughts on SOA and roof racks and RTT...The weight is noticable...Thats for sure but different shocks, retro fitting sway bars and some ingenuity can fix any of these problems. Also the simple thing of just driving accordingly to the weight can be just the thing. I wouldnt give up roof rack or RTT dreams because of high weight. Nothing more sick than a 40 with an RTT

You could also go all out and manufacture or have someone manufacture something like campTeq has for the 80's series vehicles... Is it not the 40's roof made of fiberglass ?

This would keep your top weight to a minimum....

Hum, that might be cool, but the 40 is a quite a bit to short to sleep in. Although I've had ideas for a long time about some kind of platform that would be the same length as the flat part of the tub, then slide out and drop down to butt up against the end of the tub with the tailgate open, then you could have some kind of canvas skirt go around the platform to the lift hatch and barn doors to close it all in, it would take some expementing, but I've always thought something like that would be sweet.

Funny you mention that, my dad was telling me yesterday that he saw a 40 turned into a little camper back in the day and thought it was way cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom