FJ40 long range use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

over the hood would allow you to drive away from animals if you had to, slowly, lol.

just had a thought tho, not sure if winshield fram/hinges would be strong enough? maybe there's an inner frame/roll bar around that point? just curious anyway..

cool brainstormin though! :cheers:

Since you're talking about modding the hardtop anyways, I'm gonna toss out this idea I got from Dusty 66. We were out in DV about three years ago, and I was commenting on enjoying the SOR sliding windows on the karma cruiser for getting access to gear when he suggested that it would be even cooler if both sides had hatches like the rear. Brilliant!

My thought was to build a subframe inside the hardtop that would support the hinges and sleeping platform. Maybe even tie it into the roll cage if needed. Not really sure, I found someone semi locally with a pile of hardtop parts, might see if I can part together a ratty one to experiment with.

Since you're talking about modding the hardtop anyways, I'm gonna toss out this idea I got from Dusty 66. We were out in DV about three years ago, and I was commenting on enjoying the SOR sliding windows on the karma cruiser for getting access to gear when he suggested that it would be even cooler if both sides had hatches like the rear. Brilliant!

Funny you should post an idea like that. Since I need to make adapters for the BJ42LX side sliding windows to get them to fit on my hard top, I was contemplating doing something like this for the 80s.

Whoa!!!!! That's super cool. I love it! I may have to plan that into my list of things I want to do, even if I don't do the tent modifications, I WILL still build something like that, that is really cool.

I was thinking, if done right it could possibly incorporate both sliding side windows and a hatch. :hmm: This would allow for improved ventilation via the sliders.

Sliding windows that popped out like that would be sweet.

Hum, ran into a little issue with looking at doing pop out windows for the 40... the roll bar is pretty much squarely in the way of getting anything large out of it. Not a deal killer, but still not as cool as with that 80.

I think it would still work. I have a cooler that fits between the B and C hoops of my family cage, and being able to access that from the outside would be really useful, especially for lunch stops.

With the cage there, you could put the mount for a CO2 tank or the like behind the upright portion of the B (or in front of the C hoop) and access it.

The way I see pop-out windows being used when stowing gear is that any thing over the wheel wells would be access through the pop-outs and everything in the middle section would be through the rear hatch or ambi doors. With a drawer system or storage platform this could make it possible to sort by ease of access.

I think it would still work. I have a cooler that fits between the B and C hoops of my family cage, and being able to access that from the outside would be really useful, especially for lunch stops.

That's my thought too. When I had the soft top on I used the sides more than the back for quick access. I had magnets on the bottom of the curtain so I didn't have to mess with twist locks. Then I put the jump seats back in and.......no access again. :frown:

1509294_10201528015867178_1774134008_n_zpsfcc13c6d.jpg

With a family cage, I think it would work great... my this style cage it's REALLY in the way. It would be cool for getting small stuff out, and no reason you can't put a small cooler on the fender well to reach into from the sides. I still think it would be super cool, still plan on doing it, but it's less useful with this style cage.

I have been planning to do a family cage for a while, but as always it's a matter of money and time. If I've got one I don't have the other.

Going to go pick up some 16 gauge tomorrow to cut the frames for pop up windows.. still have not found a hardtop to experiment with, but I just need to call an old friend and see if he's got one. I'm pretty sure he does.. he's got like 20 cruisers in parts all over his property.

Going to go pick up some 16 gauge tomorrow to cut the frames for pop up windows.. still have not found a hardtop to experiment with, but I just need to call an old friend and see if he's got one. I'm pretty sure he does.. he's got like 20 cruisers in parts all over his property.

I can't wait to see what you end up building for the windows.

Didn't get anything done with the window. But got this made today and it's awesome. Going to mount it about 6 inches up from where it's sitting and will hold MOLLE pouches. There will be one on each side and another set on the lift gate.

1549544_10201586222522308_161692245_n_zps40580f86.jpg

The best thing for a 40 is a trailer. Unless you install a rtt you will not have a good place to sleep. Otherwise you need to buy an 80. I've been out on a few camping trips in the 40 with a trailer. It's a lot of fun but the elements get to you. The trailer is still unfinished. But when it's done it will be a mobile home of sorts. So I got an 80 with two petrol tanks and a water tank for those long ass trips. Could tow the trailer or the 40 depends on where I'm going.

...via IH8MUD app

1393794047212.jpg

1393794099110.jpg

1393794208963.jpg

1393794289600.jpg

1393794332109.jpg

i used to do multy day trips in my 40 all the time. Surf boards on the roof, gear and wife inside, no big deal. Like every one keeps saying, pack essentials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom