FJ40 Intro/trans questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Just got my hands on a 1967 FJ40. It’s got a small block Chevy swapped in. Transmission and transfer case are a bit of a mystery so I could use some help there. The 4 speed trans is working fine but leaking. I think the transfer case is a tickler out of a military truck and is not functioning in 4wd or low. Only 2 high. It operates on air instead of a lever. I know the air system is working and building pressure so that’s not the problem.

So I need some help deciding what direction to go. I am leaning on swapping the transmission and transfer case out for a more original Toyota 4 speed and transfer case. Any recommendations on where to find one? A remanufactured one would be preferred. What would I need to mate one up to the 350 motor? Thanks for the input!

27B32834-2993-465C-9390-14680A2CD52D.jpeg

89A33811-15EC-498E-AEE0-BA42B1452FD4.jpeg

2EB10649-F21A-41F0-810A-477904931777.jpeg

07993A99-4ED1-473D-83CA-97145AAA034D.jpeg

Based on your pictures I believe you have a GM transmission and it is adapted to the Toyota 1 piece transfer case. It is vacuum operated. You may be building vacuum but I believe the mechanism that is supposed to shift the transfer case is not working.

Based on your pictures I believe you have a GM transmission and it is adapted to the Toyota 1 piece transfer case. It is vacuum operated. You may be building vacuum but I believe the mechanism that is supposed to shift the transfer case is not working.
I think you are right. Another day of research under my belt and it looks like I have an original Toyota t-case with the vacuum operated stuff. How ever that was supposed to look from the factory is no longer there. I'll attach a picture of the devise that is hooked up to the onboard compressor that somehow creates vacuum. It doesn't seem to be working though. The actuator for the High-Low is working but the transfer case seems to not what to budge on that side. Not sure if it needs to be in 4wd first before it will let the lever move into low range (anyone know about that). My best bet is to probably convert it to a manual lever. Not sure how that will work out with the GM transmission...

tempImage2MGtgb.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom