FJ40 guy needing 4Runner buying advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been active in the Fj40 forum for over 10 years, so I know a fair amount about those.

However, I know zero about 4Runners. I have a 16-year-old son looking for a new car and am considering buying one. Probably a loaded question, but any years I should avoid? Are there any ideal years, or things I should stay clear of?

Thanks!

I have been active in the Fj40 forum for over 10 years, so I know a fair amount about those.

However, I know zero about 4Runners. I have a 16-year-old son looking for a new car and am considering buying one. Probably a loaded question, but any years I should avoid? Are there any ideal years, or things I should stay clear of?

Thanks!
2nd gen ('90-'95) has a 3vz engine which had headgasket issues and is pretty low on power, can get these very cheap if you find one with a blown headgasket and repair it yourself. dont think these had airbags so kinda lacking on safety features for a new driver

3rd gens ('96-'02) very popular and people are often asking a lot for them, the 5vz is pretty bulletproof, lower ball joints are an issue (just google lower ball joint failure) easy to avoid if you replace with oem and check for play often. these have airbags so a bit better than the 2nd gen for a new driver

4th gen ('03-'09) I think these are probably the sweet spot for a new driver, old enough to not be too expensive and doesnt have as big of an enthusiast following as the 3rd gen so easier to find decent deals, newer very reliable drivetrain (1gr timing chain v6 or 2uz v8), better safety standards than previous gens pillars are bigger doors are thicker just a way more substantial build than previous gens

5th gen ('10-current) very beefy structure like the 4th gens, very stout drivetrain tons of aftermarket parts if you are interested in modifying it

2nd gen ('90-'95) has a 3vz engine which had headgasket issues and is pretty low on power, can get these very cheap if you find one with a blown headgasket and repair it yourself. dont think these had airbags so kinda lacking on safety features for a new driver

3rd gens ('96-'02) very popular and people are often asking a lot for them, the 5vz is pretty bulletproof, lower ball joints are an issue (just google lower ball joint failure) easy to avoid if you replace with oem and check for play often. these have airbags so a bit better than the 2nd gen for a new driver

4th gen ('03-'09) I think these are probably the sweet spot for a new driver, old enough to not be too expensive and doesnt have as big of an enthusiast following as the 3rd gen so easier to find decent deals, newer very reliable drivetrain (1gr timing chain v6 or 2uz v8), better safety standards than previous gens pillars are bigger doors are thicker just a way more substantial build than previous gens

5th gen ('10-current) very beefy structure like the 4th gens, very stout drivetrain tons of aftermarket parts if you are interested in modifying it

This is VERY helpful. Thanks @5speed addict !

Yeah, I would go with 4th gen. 5th are too huge for a young driver, older ones are likely to have issues and aren't as safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom