FJ40 before and after. A short story in pictures. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To cut a long story short I don't have a clue what I'm doing. This is how that worked out.

I started by buying this nasty unloved FJ40 that had all but disolved on the coast.

1- IMG_9332.jpg

2- IMG_9019.JPG

IMG_9331.jpg

Fast forward 31 months. I am now here

IMG_20210218_134726.jpg

IMG_20210218_134218.jpg

I dispute that claim you made about "not knowing what you're doing"....:) That looks fantastic! Post more pics, inside, undercarriage, etc. Great job.

I dispute that claim you made about "not knowing what you're doing"....:) That looks fantastic! Post more pics, inside, undercarriage, etc. Great job.
In terms of not knowing what I am doing, I am a professional project manager but this project definitely was not textbook. The outcome is really thanks to a pair of highly skilled and knowledgable brothers that live in the mountains. I should have started with a better more original example with useable parts. I also did not have a clear direction nor did I expect this to take so long. Covid is partly to blame for that delay though. I am delighted with the outcome but should have known I was aiming for that before I started.

Here is the interior before. Literally none of it useable. You cannot really see it clearly in this pic but it even had some kind of shelving unit blocking the windscreen

4 -IMG_9326.jpg

That similar view now

IMG_20210218_124804.jpg

Engine before, had been converted to LPG

IMG_0779.jpg

Rotten chassis

29c09f68e742d30fc271d7d7cc0885fe.0.jpg

Chassis after rebuild

54b8d35c3b46cfb40d8e16002d2d11e7.0.jpg

Engine after rebuild

IMG_20190906_124904.jpg

New bodywork. Hood, bulkhead and a few hinges were the only things salvaged from the original. On FJ60 wheels at this point which were used to get it through its roadworthiness test.

IMG-20190927-WA0003-01.jpg

Some restored upholstery. Passenger seat has to go back and have its base rebuilt. Taking that today

IMG-20210216-WA0007.jpg

On the right, is-it the mudflap support ?
Do you have other pictures showing how it's installed and how it clears the exhaust ?
Actually if you look at the image of the back of the vehicle in the first post it seems to have two exhausts at the sides of the rear step so it's entirely possible that fouling the exhaust was not a consideration when the mudflaps were fitted. The correct exhaust was installed to get it through its roadworthiness test. Still seems to fit though. From the back in the first post you can see that the left mudflap mount is totally bent out of shape. I vaguely remember that bracket somehow clipping on to the bottom of the wheel arch but looking at the bracket I don't see any fixings that might do that.

Ohh I see. I'm not too sure how sensible those kind of heavy duty mud flap are of contacting the exhaust.
I always heard that this is the correct placement for the mud flaps because it protects the rear sil (versus installing them on the tail lights). How it was on your truck seems ok but on my 74 the stock side exhaust that goes directly to the left is far closer to the wheel (I think it changed in 75 with the silencer at the back and the exhaust to the right). So I really don't see how a mud flap could reasonably go between them.
1613907632426.png
1613907805113.png

And after the exhaust there is no mounting holes on the frame
1613908161312.png

Ohh I see. I'm not too sure how sensible those kind of heavy duty mud flap are of contacting the exhaust.
I always heard that this is the correct placement for the mud flaps because it protects the rear sil (versus installing them on the tail lights). How it was on your truck seems ok but on my 74 the stock side exhaust that goes directly to the left is far closer to the wheel (I think it changed in 75 with the silencer at the back and the exhaust to the right). So I really don't see how a mud flap could reasonably go between them.
View attachment 2591909View attachment 2591910

And after the exhaust there is no mounting holes on the frame
View attachment 2591911
I don't want to rock up here with my self-confessed lack of knowledge and put incorrect info on the forum. This red FJ40 in this thread had clown car wheel arches so where the mudflaps go is potentially not relevant to other 40s.

IMG_9021.jpg

I have another 40, 1979 series 2 and I'm not convinced there's space for mudflaps

IMG_20210221_095341.jpg

Sorry this is the best photo I could get in the basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom