FJ40 and Jeeps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpnkrtn said:
I'm an old fart, 5 years from retirement, with difinite thoughts/requirements ... to get what I want ... I'll travel. Aluminun body starts in BC, Canada ... Aqualu. I'm in SC, son in Utah, willing to have/arrange things shipped. Thanks for the reply ... to everyone.

just as a side question....where in SC?

malphrus

labartonmd said:
one old fart to another...

I have considered putting an aluminum FJ45 or FJ40 body on a minitruck chassis, bobbed of course. Its doable. It gets you IFS, longer wheel base, lighter weight over all, disc brakes etc. etc. Add your rear 4 link and you are good. yeah, I know about Solid axle this and that but you can't beat IFS from a ride standpoint.

If you used a 90 or newer 4 runner chassis, it would already have coil springs in the rear. 40's are a bit wider, but not much. A set of 10 inch wide wheels would probably do the trick. Although I too think it would be easier to have a custom coil spring suspension made up.

72cruiser said:
just as a side question....where in SC?

malphrus

Better keep looking over your shoulder .... I'm one of "those" people at your University .... administrator .... Clemson U.

ken_79-fj40 said:
If you used a 90 or newer 4 runner chassis, it would already have coil springs in the rear. 40's are a bit wider, but not much. A set of 10 inch wide wheels would probably do the trick. Although I too think it would be easier to have a custom coil spring suspension made up.

That's about the conclusion I'm coming to. Several interesting possibilities seem to be out there ... if you toss enough money at them. Both Proffitts Cruisers and Over the hill 4X4 seem to have a lot of experience with link suspensions on Cruisers. Over the hill does an air bag version. Just looking at their web site it appears to be more targeted to the extreme offroad crowd. But I would immagine they ... or others closer to me ... could adapt the Off Road Only AiRock airbags to the suspension. I like the idea of the airbags as they would be self leveling under different loads, and their computer control module is fast enough to offer some body roll correction/adjustment.

http://www.overthehill4x4.com/index.html
http://www.proffittscruisers.com/
http://www.offroadonly.com/ WARNING - this is a Jeep site

bpnkrtn said:
Better keep looking over your shoulder .... I'm one of "those" people at your University .... administrator .... Clemson U.

well shoot....you've got to come hang out with some of us clemson cruiser guys...
there are 5 or 6 of us that are currently enrolled, and another 20-30 in the area...

i wish i could point you in the right direction for the link-setup, but i think you've got the right idea so far...
unless you want to talk our club into doin your build-up as a link learning process...

malphrus

Heck yeah bpnkrtn, Where in Clemson are ya? What kinda cruiser do you drive? or are you just lookin at the moment. What department are you in at Clemson, I graduated back in 99 with a forestry degree. Hope to see ya at the meetings soon, we have one comin up on august 27th. If ya need any help just let us know.

Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom