FJ in 4Wheel mag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pismojim

the Dude abides...
Threads
Website
realcruiser.com
On newsstands now...

Two page spread of the FJ in this month's 4Wheel and Offroad magazine.

Nothing new or exiciting in the article just a few pics and stats.

oh how i do hate this new land cruiser.

rusmannx said:
oh how i do hate this new land cruiser.
And I suppose you're reading this FJ forum on a Kaypro computer while running a rochester carb on your 33 year old cruiser with Chevy PS and drum brakes? :confused:

Admit it you kinda like the bezel don't you?

pismojim said:
And I suppose you're reading this FJ forum on a Kaypro computer while running a rochester carb on your 33 year old cruiser with Chevy PS and drum brakes? :confused:

Admit it you kinda like the bezel don't you?
actually i built this computer myself, the rochester was on the rig when i got it, and ps should be on any rig to bring it out of the stone age.

as far as the bezel..... it looks like a popsicle stick.

Russ, it's interesting that you "hate" the FJ.

I can understand not liking it, being unimpressed or disappointed but you have such strong emotional reaction.

So what are the top two reasons why you the hate this new cruiser?

1. i think it looks like the offspring of my 40 having fawked a mini cooper.
2. remember when chevy brought back the malibu? what about the impala? or pontiac the GTO?
it's like taking a classic, and saying "here you go stupid new generation of idiots who will buy
anything we tell you to buy, and have no idea what GTO used to really signify."

i'm not a LC purist by any means, but it makes me cringe that the new FJ is associated with name FJ.
interestingly enough, if they would have called it the new QJ, or PJ, or OJ, i wouldn't feel nearly as cheated.

by the way, i like your website jim :)

rusmannx said:
2. ... or pontiac the GTO? it's like taking a classic, and saying "here you go stupid new generation of idiots who will buy anything we tell you to buy, and have no idea what GTO used to really signify."

Not to quibble with you but the GTO designation was originated with Ferarri and ripped off by Pontiac in 1964 when they stuck that name on a (God forbid) Pontiac Tempest. The enthusiasts in the 60s slammed Pontiac for the misrepresentation of the GTO name. History has shown that their decision to call the model a GTO was brilliant and history has shown that that stupid new generation of idiots *will* buy anything.

The FJ Cruiser will be a big success in tomorrow's market. Right time, right make, right price, right features, right name.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Not to quibble with you
-B-
uh huh......

well you got me on that point :)

someone close this thread for me please. my bitterness is coming off as jackassedness.

Beowulf said:
Not to quibble with you but the GTO designation was originated with Ferarri and ripped off by Pontiac in 1964 when they stuck that name on a (God forbid) Pontiac Tempest. The enthusiasts in the 60s slammed Pontiac for the misrepresentation of the GTO name. History has shown that their decision to call the model a GTO was brilliant and history has shown that that stupid new generation of idiots *will* buy anything.

-B-

Wow, never know what these old guys are going to remember. :flipoff2:

:beer:

rusmannx said:
1. i think it looks like the offspring of my 40 having fawked a mini cooper.

Thats funny :D :D

Interesting top two reasons Russ.

Now, don't take this wrong (I suspect a lot of people agree with you) but having your top reasons based on 1) looks 2) the name, doesn't say much for your vehicle evaluation priorities. I'm left to assume that if it "looked" cool and had a "snappy" name you would be all over it. :rolleyes:

BTW, I agree about the mini-cooper but I think it's more likely your 40 was humping a Scion. :)

Thanks for the comments on the website. Be advised, if people start taking the new FJ offroad they will end up on my website. However, you won't find any car show photos or driveway poser shots.

In the article it says the tires will be 265x70x17. Didn't the original release say something about a larger tire (33" or something close)?

They are 32's which are larger than the stock 4Runner or Tacoma now. 265/65-17 or 265/70-16 So you can step up to 33's w/minimal gearing issues.

I hope people reserve judgement until it comes out and they can evaluate it on the trail. I think it will be another great Toyota.

FirstToy said:
They are 32's which are larger than the stock 4Runner or Tacoma now. 265/65-17 or 265/70-16 So you can step up to 33's w/minimal gearing issues.

I hope people reserve judgement until it comes out and they can evaluate it on the trail. I think it will be another great Toyota.

I agree with your comments on letting its performance determine our opinions.

pismojim said:
BTW, I agree about the mini-cooper but I think it's more likely your 40 was humping a Scion. :)

alright, i'll go along with that.

but no, even if it had a different name, everyone would know what it was "trying to be". ok ok, maybe it isn't trying to "be", but it came from the idea of. call it what you want, it still bothers me. although, i wouldn't mind spending a day having one on the trail with me. i'd like to see how my cruiser (though not nearly as built as most of the rigs here) could compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom