Builds Fj down under (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New Warn Zeon 8s has arrived

image-1677436532.jpg

Duel battery tray is in. Power steering res relocated :)

image-892056017.jpg

image-4147946243.jpg

Finally the front and rear bars from Exposition One arrived. Very well packed.

staticmap

Sunday we will be fitting :) stay tuned.

image-2134633703.jpg

image-1571778215.jpg

Parking sensor holes too small, factory Toyota towing hitch does not fit.
This is not how it's meant to be Expedition One?

Australian importer happy to die grind the parking sensor holes out and open up to fit towing hitch. But that will damage the powder coating and not how it's meant to be. So all in all not a happy camper.

Wife is now without her car as job is half done. Auto craft happy to get in with the grinder but not supply a courtesy car until rectified.

So half a day wasted disassembling and cutting beyond the point of no return.

Options?

Make it fit and ask them to re powder-coat.

Make it fit and ask them to re powder-coat.

Make this one fit for now and then get a correct replacement with powder coating un touched.

Make this one fit for now and then get a correct replacement with powder coating un touched.

Then invoice them for the time spent improving their product design.:lol:

Then invoice them for the time spent improving their product design.:lol:

Just makes me angry when you pay good money in full for a genuine import through an authorised dealer, wait 5 months and it does not fit. Expedition Ones instruction state before cutting this is the point of no return. However you can not test fit it until you have cut it.

Someone will be getting a bill that's for sure.

AutoCraft have offered a refund for the Expedition One bars but not the genuine cut Toyota parts that are now needed to reassemble, I refused that point blank as unacceptable. So for now my wife is without her FJ as I can't go forward or back.

9am Utah time Monday we will see if Expedition One's customer service is any better than AutoCrafts.

If your going to export you need to make sure your product fits genuine equipped vehicles in the country your supplying in my opinion.

I don't see why I have to grind and cut and damage the powder coating to make it fit.

Wasted day and very frustrated.

Sorry to hear of the fitment problems, absolutely unacceptable. I've not been a fan of that company, they make nice looking bumpers but...

I'll let you now how I feel after I have spoken to E1. The only real solution at this point I can see now II have slept and cooled off a little is, cut and grind this bar to fit, compromising the powder coating. While Expedition One manufacture a new rear bar laser cut correctly and air fright it over to replace this one. The genuine Toyota part that has been cut makes it impossible to go back and my wife needs the FJ for work., so I can only go forward, I have hired a car for Monday as it will be Tuesday here before I can speak to Expedition One.

If your issue is similar to those that preceded...

Shave a little off the reverse sensor.

It's commonplace for the Expo bumpers, thinking due to PC thickness, in most cases, but I shaved the plastic housing that penetrated the bumper and have had no issues in four years.

I understand that you paid a mint for the bumper, so I'm not suggesting you be happy about doing this, merely offering my experience with Expo products, having front and rear, along with their sliders.

It's a very good PC coating and, even on the sliders that have been beat up, it doesn't seem to be prone to failures of other items I've have scratched the powder on.

Took the first line on a run that had a very small creek to cross, followed with an immediate crawl up a vertical shale bank. It didn't appear to be that difficult, but it turned out the creek was about two feet deep just before to rock wall, and I slammed the passenger side directly into, bring the FJC to an abrupt, dead stop.

It scratched the crap out of the bumper, but didn't bend it or any other deformation.

That was three years ago, and the scratches have rusted, but there's no other deterioration of the coating.

Personally, I'll never pay for PC on any part that'll see off road use, nor on road winter driving in OK, because it will all fail. That said, if the sensor can't be shaved, if it were me, I'd enlarge the hole, spray it with a rattle can, and forget about it.

Can't even get the sensor in the hole never mind its housing :-(

I can make it all fit no issue but that's not the point here I paid top dollar and expect it to be right.

Yes it will get scratched beaten and abused but that my doing. My choice.

I'll let you now how I feel after I have spoken to E1. The only real solution at this point I can see now II have slept and cooled off a little is, cut and grind this bar to fit, compromising the powder coating. While Expedition One manufacture a new rear bar laser cut correctly and air fright it over to replace this one. The genuine Toyota part that has been cut makes it impossible to go back and my wife needs the FJ for work., so I can only go forward, I have hired a car for Monday as it will be Tuesday here before I can speak to Expedition One.

I've read similar type fitment issues on the Blue Forum, and I think E! will try to make you happy ... having said that, you're in Aus, they're an ocean away, and they have your money ... I think Delancy has a point, and perhaps a viable and quick if not entirely ideal solution ... for the money you pay, its a PITA, but it is what it is ...
:)

Given the 50 + we have fitted here, and the others sent out fitted by owners who dont have an isue with the sensors, or tow bar, if they have one, this is the first time we have had someone who wanted to return the goods after they have gone past the instructions "point of no return" [first one ever, actually, who has wanted to return a bar, period]

I fitted the first one in Aus to my own FJ when first released, and have another on my current FJ, and have neve seen a visible, or hidden corrosion issue with them when fitted to the Aus models, I might add.

A full refund, with no restocking fee, and we would organise the return freight on our account was offered as soon as the customer requested it, and he was issued an R.A number, as long as the goods are as new, and in thier original packaging.

He has currently refused that and wishes to speak with Exp One.

The invoice listed as "the purchaser to ensure suitability of aftermarket equipment" as part of the disclaimer.

After being offered install, which we do, and speaking about how easy they are to install at order, and cutting the plastic bumper before "ensuring suitabilty" when he decided to install it at home.

This is why we dont conside it our responsibity to replace the factory bumper before Monday, when 4 cable ties could easily attach the bumper lights to make the vehicle roadworthy, while he awaits Exp One to be in the office.

Before the request to return the goods, we offered to get the goods picked up, rectify the clearnace issues and return them, same day, but that was also refused.

I think we have tried to help the customer as much as possible, to sort the issue, so far, but he has refused our offers on the grounds of,

1/ we pay the hire car, rectification cost, and for a new factory bumper to replace the one he cut up during install, supply a courtesy car while we fit it for him, for free.

We offered our next available appointment, and the original install quote price, where we could supply the courtesy car.

2/ He then stated he didnt require any help from us, and would speak with Exp One.

I have forwared all the relevent information to Exp One, so the customer can take it up with them, as this was what he was wanting to do.

Looking forward to thier response, so we have kept the R.A open for him until Wed close of business for the customer, to see what the customer chooses to do, after speaking with them.

I dont wish to hijack the thread, but just wanted to ensure clarity, so will let the OP report on the Exp One reply.

Last edited:
should self installing a bumper be that much of an apparent PITA (in more ways than one) ...
:hmm:

should self installing a bumper be that much of an apparent PITA (in more ways than one) ... :hmm:

The rear instal is not difficult or a PITA, the picture quality on the instructions is very poor but for someone reasonably competent mechanically you can figure it out.

It just don't fit the factory Towing hitch or the factory parking sensors.

image-1210453401.jpg

Just in reply to Auto Craft

As i have said I don't want a refund unless this includes covering the cost of the genuine Toyota parts, I want a bar that fits. I don't want to have it cut to fit by you either. You also seem to have missed mentioning the die grinding you need to do to the one you fitted this week that you recommended I do. Happy to post your comment if need be. You have offered no solution at this point, and do not seem interested in offering any more than your post.

The only aftermarket part on the car is the duel battery tray though I'm not sure how this effects the fitting of the rear bar.
Towing hitch and parking sensors came on the car from factory when new.

If I remove the towing hitch the bar fits perfectly.

Last edited:
should self installing a bumper be that much of an apparent PITA (in more ways than one) ...
:hmm:

Given so many have been sent out to be installed else where, it hasn't been bought up as a return issue before, and most everyone else has managed to do whats required to get the bar to fit.

Bear in mind it is an imported bar to suit a U.S model, as there is no listing anywhere for an Aus spec "specific" model available from anyone for Exp One.

So, are they a bit tricky, sure.

have others managed, sure.

Have we offered to refund completely, and cover freight, sure.

It is a bar that's at the cheaper end of the market compared to ARB which would be $3200 if it had carrier, or Kaymar, at $3400 made specifically for the Aus model, and given the Exp One, being made of steel, which is cut to shape from stock anyway, most don't see an issue with some small mods to make it fit the Aus model, for the benefits of price, and the much better function of the wheel carrier system, and the better looks, compared to the other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom