FJ Cruiser prototype - for real? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisermaine said:
I don't mean to dis the 40 but I think it is seen as too small to be marketable to a wider market. Real (usable) back seats are required as is some interior storage space for most people's needs. Perhaps Toyota is aiming for a trump card in the Xterra market segment -FJ tradition, better off-road capability, and unique styling. If the basic package is good (Tundra or Tacoma chasis?) can't it be tweeked to the extreme if wanted? Think of the TRD packages that could be avilable dealer installed -not to mention what people like Christo could do....

Ooops... forgot to put this quote with my last post

I hate to say it, but it has to be said:
As far as 'retro styling' goes, Ford did a better job with their bronco concept they came out with this year. It doesn't have that Moon Patrol thing the FJ Cruiser has. I know it's just an escape, but they are putting a diesel in it. too.

As far as market share goes, SUVs are becoming less popular - people want family cars and station wagons more than luxo barges. Once that market shakes loose (probably the same with pickups, but not so much) and they're all down to making 1 or 2 SUVs, we may see better vehicles (what we like, at least). They're also placing this into that "young adult who thinks they're adventurous" category (RAV4, Xterra, Heep Liberace, etc) so it'll come out with limited 4x4 capabilities, etc. to get these kids to their pic-nics and rock climbing, or whatever the XSport of the week is. 4x4ing isn't what it used to be.

hj60 said:
If only the entire LC community represented a large enough demographic for
Toyota Motor Sales, USA not to sneeze at. But alas, we do not.
If everyone on this forum were to buy the same new vehicle at the same time, in
NA, that'd still only be 3572 units. One major metropolitan dealership probably
sells more Corollas than that in a quarter. We simply are not economically viable
to TMS USA.
I believe that Toyota of Japan might like to market more vehicles here. But who'd
buy a new Hilux with a 2RZ-FE if they could get a Tacoma with similar dimensions
and the 5VZ-FE for less? Unless they gave us the SFA Hilux and/or
1PZ/1KZ/whichever diesel they're putting in it nowadays.
And I wouldn't count on us ever getting a Toyota diesel of any kind anymore. Now
that people are willing to buy hybrids, TMS USA's reasoning for marketing a diesel,
fuel economy, is now moot to them. Even if they were to begin marketing a direct
competitor to the 250(0) and 350(0) series pickups, I foresee them going with
bigger hybrid powerplants instead of diesel. The only way we could possibly get a
diesel p/u here is if they somehow decided to make a diesel/electric hybrid for
heavier applications. But there really isn't any reason for them to do that. In a
hybrid, it's the ISA that makes all the power, even with the motor running. So even
from a low-end torque standpoint, a diesel makes little sense to them. You get far
more low end torque at far lower RPMs from an ISA than from a diesel.
This depresses me, because long-term, the hybrids aren't reliable. The battery is
only designed to last 10 years or so. And they won't maintain a stock of them after
that. Of course, you could still run them with the engine, but it's vastly underpowered for the vehicle.
And since the batteries weigh close to half a ton (for the Prius), labor for swapping
one out will likely be more than it'd cost to trade it in on a new car.
Oh, and watch for the big p/us to go hybrid, as well. Another reason for Toyota not
to bring in a diesel p/u. No one else will be offering one either. Nothing to compete
with.

there's an idea...

why do you think that diesels are used for electricity generation and long haul trucking? they are incredibly reliable at constant speeds and loads.

so a diesel spinning at it's most economical RPM powering the elictrical juicer stuff... clean efficient car, which would need even less gallons/ mile

Just found on the web..........

News Land Cruiser's fate remains hazy. Sales are down to a trickle, and Toyota didn't get deep pockets by hanging onto laggards. But it doesn't want to squander Land Cruiser's strong U.S.-market image and name recognition. Toyota is known to be prepping a retro-style SUV for 2006 based on its redesigned '05 Tacoma pickup and patterned on the recent FJ Cruiser concept. Though sources don't paint this as a Land Cruiser replacement, it sure seems like one to us, especially as it will look something like the early wagons that helped establish Land Cruiser in the U.S. We'll know our hunch is right if Toyota shows a "son of FJ" concept by early '05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom