FJ-80 Steering Knuckle Rebuild on DVD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDITED:

A couple of us rebuilt the front steering knuckles on a 1997 LX-450 this weekend and shot DV video of the process. The video has been dubbed to DVD using my Sony home DVD equipment. Its about 45 minutes long and would be an excellent item for novices who are wanting to undertake this tedious project. I would not say it would enable a newbie to do it without the factory service manual, but an intuitive person could probably do it with just the disc.

The DVD starts with us draining the front axle and shows step-by-step the tear down and reassembly process back to the point of reinstalling the front brake caliper. It is narrated and offers a few comments, torque values and tool selections etc. The color, lighting and sound are all good. DVD should play in any DVD player.

EDIT>>>> If anyone is interested PM me with whether you want to pay via PayPal or check. Price is $25.00 each including shipping via USPS. I ship every Saturday.

Jim

Last edited:
Maybe Junk would be interested in getting this to put on his site as a few people are trying to get together a comprehensive Front Axle FAQ in the 80's section.

-o-

beno said:
Maybe Junk would be interested in getting this to put on his site as a few people are trying to get together a comprehensive Front Axle FAQ in the 80's section.

-o-

I think he's trying to get a few dimes for his time, i doubt he would want it up on the board for free.

elmariachi said:
The disc starts with draining the axle gear oil and ends with installing the grease cap on the hub.
Jim

Sheesh...I wish I could have had this prior to doing mine. Would've gone a lot quicker.

Wait a minute :doh: :D

Good job Jim. This should be a help to any first-timer.

concretejungle said:
I think he's trying to get a few dimes for his time, i doubt he would want it up on the board for free.

Just trying to cover costs. Discs are $2.50 each, shipping, and then my money-freak 13 year old who is much more willing than me to manage the DVD recorder.

p.s. Plus I have to pay a talent fee to Tim (tarbe) for his acting. :D

elmariachi said:
p.s. Plus I have to pay a talent fee to Tim (tarbe) for his acting. :D

Right...I was just acting when I couldn't get that first snap ring off ;)

How much for shipping to 75006? I would be happy to see this DVD. Will it play on any regular DVD player? PM me with details.

Great idea Jim, and a very fair price. Where were you a year ago :D.

Put me down for one HG repair DVD, if you get one of those together.

:beer:
Rookie2

I think this is really a great thing. I bet even I could do it with the DVD and the FSM. If I get the guts to do mine, I will definately get this!!!

Great stuff!!

Thanks

Andrew

Andrewsreef said:
If I get the guts to do mine, I will definately get this!!!

If you get the DVD you will realize this is not as daunting a task as it is often made out to be.

Then you will be much more inclined to tackle the job, which will be good for your cruiser and your piece of mind.

More than a fair price for a novice, IMO. :)

If you ordered a Steering Knuckle DVD, I have mailed all discs that have been paid for via paypal or regular mail as of May 10, 2005. I have been mailing them with 24-48 hours of receipt of paypal, not including weekends. If you do not receive your disc via USPS mail within 7-8 days of your paypal, please PM me.

The DVD gives you confidence to tackle the job right the first time. Just watch the darn thing like 3 times.

Question: I assume that your DVD covers replacement of the knuckle bearings and races-- does it also cover the replacement of wheel bearings and races?

Jared

The DVD covers every step of the process except actually breaking the birfield joint apart, which is not mandatory. It does cover how to remove each bearing and race, and what to expect to replace them. In color. :D

sjpitts said:
Question: I assume that your DVD covers replacement of the knuckle bearings and races-- does it also cover the replacement of wheel bearings and races?

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom