FJ 40 Restoration in the times of pandemic... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
est decision/worst decision? After years and years of dreams of visiting Deosai National Park and seeing my country's natural beauty, I got married and used the money my boys gave as a gift to buy my first 4x4 FJ40 Soft-Top! But, there are some issues. 1. My FJ40 was last purchased at an Army Auction in 2010 and was never registered. 2. Restoration. I plan to restore it nearest to stock, with very little modification on the interior. 3. Denting and painting is process. The plan is to use this vehicle 60% on-road and 40% off-road, as I am passionate about wildlife photography. as i have as a big passion for wild life photography.

So I have some questions and mysteries to deal with.
1 - Where and how to register it cheaply? I am willing to travel to register it anywhere, it whatever province is willing to make it legal. Do I have a choice?
2 - So after going through most of the information provided on this platform by the 4x4 gurus I have decided to retain the original 2F engine, overhaul, and upgrade it. What are the possible upgrades needed to increase this engines power and efficiency, while keeping it relatively cheap?
3 - What should I do about the transmission? Does the 2F support an auto-transmission or is the 5 Speed Manual Transmission H55f the best option? Do I need to teach my wife to drive a Manual? I'm not sure I have the patience. Gurus help me, should I buy the original 4-speed Manual Transmission?
4 -Rims & Tires! I am planning of buying 16-inch rims, as that easily provides me with multiple options? Should I stick with the same rim size, or go bigger?What do you think? Why? I was thinking 32-inchs Tires would be best for my requirements, so any suggestions on tires would be massively appreciated!
5 - Leaf Springs & Shocks. These will be replaced, brand-spanking new. My Mechanic Recommended of lifting the FJ40 2-inch by replacing with bigger shackles (recommended by my mechanic). Do you have any idea whether or not it would be beneficial for the F4JO? How should I lift the body, with minimum modification and alteration and what would be the best shocks to buy which can fit with alteration?
6 - Power Steering. The car needs power steering. Which one will work best with the FJ40?
7 - Comfy Seating. Does anyone have recommendations about seating in this tank? I would like to make this car a bit more luxurious. How on earth to make the 30+ hour long road trips required up the Himalaya/Hindu Kush/Karakoram mountains semi-bearable? She is a beast.
:wink:
But I need her to document Pakistan's quickly vanishing biodiversity. Where can I buy said seats?
8 - 4*4 is missing so i have to buy a new one and i dont have any clue abut it.
9 - Converting Front brakes to disc brakes and keeping back as drums.
10 - Need Front Axle and Differential as well or shall i just get them repaired. Don't have a clue on this as well.
11 - Need New Radiator and Complete Air Conditioning kit . Need advice and suggestions on this to..
12 - Accessories. I need a snorkel,Jack Lift and Jerry can for reserve fuel.. Anyone know where to get them? How much?

Lastly a very naive question .
What are differentials and differentials locks?
How do they help and how much important are they ?

Will be Posting Photos of the rig on Sunday ..

Regards Jalal

Hope this comes positively to you. Please use google search to query Mud. Your questions have answers. The Mud search tool is not as good as Google. People have addressed your issues.

40 and more luxurious may not be a reality. They were never meant to be race cars with cup holders and iPod stations. Soaking in the scenery as you go and stopping often to stretch your legs/grab a tea break, and getting on is where it’s at. They never disappoint when you use them as they were designed. They never overpromise. If you are one with this realization you will enjoy it more and your wallet will be happier as well.

I grew up in Africa with these rigs and have visited all the national parks. Know what you mean. I miss that time. I miss seeing all the wild animals in their element. They were kept simple for a reason. They could be fixed in the wild. They always got us home.

As far as registration, I just sent my paperwork in for the Vermont registration. I bought mine with a bill of sale from the deceased owner’s daughter and my state requires either a title or valid registration document to then register. I didn’t have either so sent away for the Vermont registration. It is significantly more expensive given they go off of the kbb value (12,800) rather than the purchase price, so all in cost $791 plus the cost of postage. Haven’t gotten the registration or plates back yet, but they are operating slower than usual due to covid.

I think OP wants to register in Pakistan

est decision/worst decision? After years and years of dreams of visiting Deosai National Park and seeing my country's natural beauty, I got married and used the money my boys gave as a gift to buy my first 4x4 FJ40 Soft-Top! But, there are some issues. 1. My FJ40 was last purchased at an Army Auction in 2010 and was never registered. 2. Restoration. I plan to restore it nearest to stock, with very little modification on the interior. 3. Denting and painting is process. The plan is to use this vehicle 60% on-road and 40% off-road, as I am passionate about wildlife photography. as i have as a big passion for wild life photography.

So I have some questions and mysteries to deal with.
1 - Where and how to register it cheaply? I am willing to travel to register it anywhere, it whatever province is willing to make it legal. Do I have a choice?
2 - So after going through most of the information provided on this platform by the 4x4 gurus I have decided to retain the original 2F engine, overhaul, and upgrade it. What are the possible upgrades needed to increase this engines power and efficiency, while keeping it relatively cheap?
3 - What should I do about the transmission? Does the 2F support an auto-transmission or is the 5 Speed Manual Transmission H55f the best option? Do I need to teach my wife to drive a Manual? I'm not sure I have the patience. Gurus help me, should I buy the original 4-speed Manual Transmission?
4 -Rims & Tires! I am planning of buying 16-inch rims, as that easily provides me with multiple options? Should I stick with the same rim size, or go bigger?What do you think? Why? I was thinking 32-inchs Tires would be best for my requirements, so any suggestions on tires would be massively appreciated!
5 - Leaf Springs & Shocks. These will be replaced, brand-spanking new. My Mechanic Recommended of lifting the FJ40 2-inch by replacing with bigger shackles (recommended by my mechanic). Do you have any idea whether or not it would be beneficial for the F4JO? How should I lift the body, with minimum modification and alteration and what would be the best shocks to buy which can fit with alteration?
6 - Power Steering. The car needs power steering. Which one will work best with the FJ40?
7 - Comfy Seating. Does anyone have recommendations about seating in this tank? I would like to make this car a bit more luxurious. How on earth to make the 30+ hour long road trips required up the Himalaya/Hindu Kush/Karakoram mountains semi-bearable? She is a beast.
:wink:
But I need her to document Pakistan's quickly vanishing biodiversity. Where can I buy said seats?
8 - 4*4 is missing so i have to buy a new one and i dont have any clue abut it.
9 - Converting Front brakes to disc brakes and keeping back as drums.
10 - Need Front Axle and Differential as well or shall i just get them repaired. Don't have a clue on this as well.
11 - Need New Radiator and Complete Air Conditioning kit . Need advice and suggestions on this to..
12 - Accessories. I need a snorkel,Jack Lift and Jerry can for reserve fuel.. Anyone know where to get them? How much?

Lastly a very naive question .
What are differentials and differentials locks?
How do they help and how much important are they ?

Will be Posting Photos of the rig on Sunday ..

Regards Jalal
Assalamoalaikum. Welcome to Madness 😀 If you have the original auction voucher, it could be registered. Not sure if delay would be an issue but can get it checked through friends. I’ll PM you my whatsapp number to get in touch.

So the story continues...

Achieved So Far
Denter as usual is checking and testing my patience level but i m happy with the job and hard work he is putting in it.
Using 16 gauge sheet for restoring whole body.
Whole floor was replaced + New Fenders
Honda Civic 2005 Front Seats
15" Alloy Rims
Back Light & RKR Style Front Indicators
Snorkel
Gabriel Shocks
Original Generator + Original 4 Fwd Speed Gear with 4*4 Gear + Aisin Carburettor
Decided to get it registered from Islamabad Pakistan which is cheaper ...
Still To Buy
Power Steering & Steering Wheel -
Front Disc Brakes
Electronic CDI
Tires - still confuse about the tire size.
Complete A/C

Waiting for Denter to finish his job so we can remove the body from Frame and start working on the frame and engine. Engine is looking good but still changing its rings and restoring the pistons.
Hoping to get these jobs done before Eid holidays which is by the end of this month .

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-01 at 11.29.55 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-01 at 11.30.01 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-01 at 11.30.18 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-01 at 11.32.14 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-01 at 11.32.18 PM.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom