FJ 25... never say die (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I just had to see what the compression was on this old piece and I was astounded. The thing is rusted beyond repair, four or five different colors of paint, a Carter carb but still has the original F motor, with generator, glass fuel filter and some makeshift air cleaner. It had a lot of blue smoke and coughed and sputters. Compression was as follows, 1 to 6: 158, 165, 152.5, 158, 162, 165. Coming from a motor that looks like it just came off the bottom of the ocean I was really surprised. Anybody got an old Single barrel carb they don't want? I will get pics in a while.

The motor in my 25 looked ugly, but ran great, with 145 psi across them all..............until it died a horrible death at 1,000 rpm winching in a log.

Post up those pics!

[quote author=Cruiser_Nerd link=board=1;threadid=6480;start=msg52691#msg52691 date=1066619021]
The motor in my 25 looked ugly, but ran great, with 145 psi across them all..............until it died a horrible death at 1,000 rpm winching in a log.
[/quote]
So how'd it die? 25's are too cool.

Something totally preventable. There was always a slight knock and I assumed :doh: that it was a rod, since it had been sitting at least 15 years before I ran it and oil pressure was not great. Turns out it was the cam gear coming off, which it did, wrecking valves, rods and the cam. Probably rebuildable, but it has other problems too. Putting another F135 in now!

[quote author=Cruiser_Nerd link=board=1;threadid=6480;start=msg53087#msg53087 date=1066698900]
Putting another F135 in now!
[/quote]
another f135? haha ...and 25s are awesome.

[quote author=Kief link=board=1;threadid=6480;start=msg53071#msg53071 date=1066696455]
I've got to burn some more film, yours is almost as crusty as mine.
[/quote]

Your's has got to be pretty crusty then. I had to prop the radiator up on the bib of this one to test run it. The radiator supports and front crossmember had rotted away. :cheers:

yeah if it's rare jim likes ie :cheers: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: what are you up to like 3? FJ25s plus what else? had like 3 FJ40s at once too didn't you?

yes FJ25s came with PTO's...the difference was that they didn't have 4 rollers...they only had 1...right jim? anyway jim had a PTO winch setup that probably went out the door when he gave away his 40 project...i kick myself for not buying it! Oh well I also kick myself for buying that 4runner...Dam thing didn't even put 500 miles on it and the F-ing head gasket blew...albiet some other individuals put like 225K on it but still...oh well...live and learn some more...

Stew

Stew...1 dead 4runner, 1 running Fj40, 1 rotted out running mini truck...

[quote author=cruzer link=board=1;threadid=6480;start=msg53139#msg53139 date=1066708076]
yes FJ25s came with PTO's...the difference was that they didn't have 4 rollers...they only had 1...right jim?
[/quote]

Thanks for filling in while I was working on my resume Stew. :D With any luck I should have four before this weekend. ;) No more 40's for me, they're just too.......common, and easy to get parts for. :flipoff2:

Yep, that's the original PTO driven off the transmission, not the transfer. The winch head is identical to the later PTO but it had a single roller fairlead and a slightly different frame to work with the funky FJ25 / early 40 bumper (anybody got one?). Here's a slightly cleaner one at SOR:

Keif,
I got a whole f engine if you are interested. complete frome intake to pan. Listed in the For Sale section under my ID. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom