"FIXED" my unexplained vibrations at speed finally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone!

For a little back ground, I've had my neglected LX450 since 2014 as a daily driver and fixing it along the way til present. Ever since I've had her there were vibrations at speed even after rebuilding the front and rear axles along the way but the vibes were still manageable until recently I installed 1" spacers on my old tires and these insinuated the problem even more. Tried to fix it by rebalancing the tires at the shop a couple of times - didn't work, alignment shops - no difference, added balancing beads - Snake Oil, played with tow in and out - weirdness, changed tires from 33's to 35's - made it worse..... Until last weekend!

After deciding to remove the spacers once again to reduce the vibes I noticed how loose the wheel actually was when turning it forward and backwards with the lug nuts just snugged up and realized that the wheel could be drooping and I've been tightening them up like that the whole time. THAT was the root problem of the vibes, not balancing or any mechanical problems with bearings or anything like that but it was caused by the old worn out wheels!

I figured after decades of wear and enlargement on the lug holes and the center bore (the aluminum wheels would wear a lot after decades I assume), the wheels never actually centered properly so i made a little illustration of what i did.

WHEEL CENTERING.PNG

This drawing is exaggerated in order to see the problem better.

Fig 1 shows how the wheel could be tightened with the worn out holes and pretty easy to see the problem.

Fig 2 shows what how simply lifting up one side would center the wheel.

That's it, years of annoying vibrations GONE by simply lifting up one side of the wheel while tightening the lug nuts. Didn't even lift that much, just enough to visibly see and feel that the slack from the looseness go away.

I don't know if this is common knowledge already since it's so simple but have never heard of anything like this being done or recommended before anywhere but if you also have unexplained vibrations give this a try and I really hope this will help and save you the head ache like I did.

-AL

Edit: here's a pic of the oem LX450 rims.

20230210_131857.jpg

20230210_131847.jpg

I looked around the hub and I do see a gap between the hub and the center bore of the wheel. The space seems pretty even all around.

Last edited:
Way to pay attention. What year? I assume this is a later model hub centric vs. early model lug centric wheel design because the lug centric design has tapered lugs that should do this automatically.

Way to pay attention. What year? I assume this is a later model hub centric vs. early model lug centric wheel design because the lug centric design has tapered lugs that should do this automatically.
It's a 96 and my lugs nuts are not tapered just flat. Lug holes on the wheels were definitely enlarged. Now that you mention it. Is there a way to convert the wheels into tapered lug nuts?

I think you'd need to get entirely new rims that were designed lug centric due to how I imagine the MFGs setup their tolerances/inspections around which (different) features on each style. But then you are getting new rims so just get new rims! If you search for these terms on here (lug/hub centric) you'll find tons of info.

I think you'd need to get entirely new rims that were designed lug centric due to how I imagine the MFGs setup their tolerances/inspections around which (different) features on each style. But then you are getting new rims so just get new rims! If you search for these terms on here (lug/hub centric) you'll find tons of info.
If I would have known of my problem earlier I would have gotten some 17's with the 35's but oh well I kinda like the LX black and silver wheels. So next time I neet tires will definitely grab some lug centric wheels.

can you update your first post with a pic of the wheels? I'm curious if they're OEM or aftermarket. As stated previously, hub centric rims shouldn't need this adjustment, and neither do lug centric rims. Good on you for finding the solution.

can you update your first post with a pic of the wheels? I'm curious if they're OEM or aftermarket. As stated previously, hub centric rims shouldn't need this adjustment, and neither do lug centric rims. Good on you for finding the solution.
I added some pics to the first post and I did believe that too that the hub would center the wheel but when I was messing with it there was a lot of play around the hub and center bore of the rim. Not exactly sure how the center bore got so big in the first place. Also want to mention that all 4 wheels had a lot of play.

It's a 96 and my lugs nuts are not tapered just flat. Lug holes on the wheels were definitely enlarged. Now that you mention it. Is there a way to convert the wheels into tapered lug nuts?

Yes, knock out the inserts on the 95-97 wheels and you have 93-94 wheels. You can also put the later inserts in the earlier wheels.

On my 95 I knocked out the inserts and am running the earlier lug nuts.

Cheers

I discovered similar a long time ago.

Hub centric or lug centric, the same applies. If you really on the tapered lug nuts to set the initial position of the wheel, you may not get what you expect.

I will run a two opposing lug nuts almost all the way down, but not tight. Wriggle the wheel while you snug the first two nuts into position. Then follow with anything down the remaining nuts before you tighten them all down.

A pry bar under the tire makes it easy to take the weight of the wheel of the lug nuts.

Yes, knock out the inserts on the 95-97 wheels and you have 93-94 wheels. You can also put the later inserts in the earlier wheels.

On my 95 I knocked out the inserts and am running the earlier lug nuts.

Cheers
There are inserts on the lug nut holes? I've never noticed this always looked like just bare aluminum. I looked up some pics of the LX rims and not see any sign of inserts.
Screenshot_20230210_155921_Chrome.png

Screenshot_20230210_155906_Chrome.png

Saw these on a different post here For Sale - (4) LX450 rims with centercaps + (1) LC rim (80 series) (Houston) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/4-lx450-rims-with-centercaps-1-lc-rim-80-series-houston.879287/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom