Fishing rods on rear or front bumper 2017 GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I am doing some research for my father. He has a 2017 GX that he will be taking to The Outer Banks for a fishing trip this summer. In the past we have always had front bumper mounted rod holders but this does not seem possible with the lines of the 2017 stock bumper. I was looking at some of the baskets that mount to the rear hitch but with the swing door and trying to use the rear storage area these seem like a no-go.

My dads going on 80 years old, so roof mount rod holder is not really a great access option for him, even with a rear Gobi ladder, I do not think its a safe option for days when he will be fishing solo on the beach.

I recall seeing some rear swing away basket/cooler storage photos/adverts on instagram but having no luck finding it now.

So, as usual, I hope some of the wonderful minds here on MUD can pitch in some thoughts and ideas to assist with my dads trip in his beloved Lexus.

Last edited:
how about a magnetic rod holder on the front of the hood (with rod tip over sunroof), I did a google search and found several options. Wishing your Dad tight lines...

how about a magnetic rod holder on the front of the hood (with rod tip over sunroof), I did a google search and found several options. Wishing your Dad tight lines...
very interesting, I will look into it, thanks !

I've used these
if you're looking for a DIY solution, some PVC pipe mounted via the front plate holder, heated and bent for the robocup to clamp to, and pool noodle sections/ velcro straps to the roof rack for the tips are a cheap solution. Robocup holders are invaluable for me in fishing and drinking applications anymore. Seasucker makes suction mounts that might fit the bill, as well.

Last edited:
Sorry, here's the Amazon link for the Robocup , would easily clamp to your ladder or on to a receiver rack that has some vertical bars. Mine is just wide enough for rods to clear the hatch on both sides. Great for short (non highway speed) hops. each robocup will hold 2 rods and includes 2 velcro straps to secure rods or to backup the spring clamp. Robocup video

Last edited:
late to the party, but i bought one of those amazon "attic" fishing pole holders. they connect to the grab handle above each door. since the GX has such a high roof on it the poles stay out of your way. i had 3 poles in it and it worked really well, plus space to toss some light items like a sweatshirt or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom