Fish & Chips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Battered and fried wild salmon is tops in my book! Normally I make a basic batter using white or brown rice flour...keeps it crisp and crunchy on the outside. But last week when I went to the pantry for rice flour...well it wasn't ;). Although I typically have rice flour on hand fried fish is the only purpose I have for it.

But I make my own pasta on a regular basis and always have semolina on hand and that's what I used. Oh boy!!! Just crossed rice flour off my grocery list :D

Basic beer batter using a lager cut 50/50 with sparkling mineral water...and then fried in safflower oil. Sorry no pics...looked just like all the other beer battered fish I've eaten ;).

If you get to Oregon J and assuming you haven't tried Newman's seafood/fish house in Eugene...then just know, for me at least, its the best darn fried fish (halibut and salmon being my faves) I've ever eaten bar none...including my own :)

Awesome Dan, thanks for chiming in.

I am using a summer brew (citrus based) for the first round of frying and then a dark for the next. When I get to OR I plan on eating my weight in fresh seafood as usual.... :clap::clap::clap: Lend a helping hand to their economy...

Thanks,

J

Yes...I used Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager...they did another top shelf job with this brew this season.

If you make it to Monterey...we'll do up some fried Monterey Bay King! Among other food and libation stuff :)

We use = parts Guinness stout & flour with a bit of pepper sauce in the batter. Great on onion rings as well.

...via IH8MUD app

Sean and Dan,

Sean, I used a bit of OBs on one batter, great minds think alike..

Dan, I had one small fillet of yours and some sockeye.. By far the Norcal King was superior my friend. I need to get with you on shipping me some more, if you are willing.

The :princess: loved this, she is usually more veggie driven.. We had salmon, zucchini and onion rings.

Cheers

J

P1040138.JPG
P1040139.JPG
P1040140.JPG

Oh boy...wish I had some to go with the beer I'm sipping right now!

I hear near winter temps will be at your doorstep over the next few days?

Wow that looks good.

My favorite 'lite' batter is just a 50/50 mix of seasoned flour and liquid; Usually 1 beaten egg, fresh squeezed lime juice, and enough Tecate to equal. Norm is Red Snapper for tacos.

Hmmm, wonder how a double IPA might work with salmon.:hmm:

Wow that looks good.

My favorite 'lite' batter is just a 50/50 mix of seasoned flour and liquid; Usually 1 beaten egg, fresh squeezed lime juice, and enough Tecate to equal. Norm is Red Snapper for tacos.

Hmmm, wonder how a double IPA might work with salmon.:hmm:

We had Shiner Bock on the second batch and I liked the flavor better than the summer brew. I will have to try some Orange Roughy and your recipe. I usually have Modelo or Corona around in one of the fridges.. I'm limited on my fish selection here in WY, never seen Snapper in the markets here.

J

We had Shiner Bock on the second batch and I liked the flavor better than the summer brew. I will have to try some Orange Roughy and your recipe. I usually have Modelo or Corona around in one of the fridges.. I'm limited on my fish selection here in WY, never seen Snapper in the markets here.

J

J, you need a boss who leaves you alone for extended trips to the gulf on Mexico, or the sea of cortez, and brings home more than he can deal with.

I get paid in peanuts and fish.:lol::beer:

Coming up, calamari, scallops and veggies.. stay tuned.. (yes, I'M CRAVING GREASE APPARENTLY)

J
When aren't we?;) If I had it my way, I would be suffering from a severe case of gout and heart disease.:lol:

Kid just introduced me to the local asian market http://www.leeleesupermarket.com/ Danger, Danger..

Toming...fried ckicken at our house last night. And KFC it wasn't :)

And KFC it wasn't :)

Sold!

For the fast bird, Church's is way better imo, Like the fried okra with hot sauce, and those pickled Jalapenos, mmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom