First Old Man Emu Lift - GX470 - too stiff?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently installed a full OME 2" medium duty lift on my 2003 GX470. The truck looks excellent of course, but it seems to be entirely too stiff for on-road use. I feel like a bobble head driving around town honestly. This is my first experience with OME. The rear is likely the culprit, the front seems to be okay. Is this normal for an OME kit? Does it just need some break-in time? I've only got about 300-350 miles on it since I installed the lift. I recently ordered a Coastal Offroad rear bumper and a Boss Strongbox to use as a drawer system hoping that these two would calm down the ride a little bit. Total weight between these two is 230LB.. is this going to be enough weight to make a difference?

You can load up some weight now to test it out. Weight will smooth out the ride on the rear.

The weight will make a difference. How much difference is subjective. Go to your local hardware store and buy 2 or 3 bags of play sand (50lbs each) which is roughly half of your expected weight. Put them at the back of the trunk and drive around. If it is close to what you are hoping for, then you will likely be fine once you install your bumper and drawers.

Are you running E rated tires? They could make harsh impact noise that makes the suspension feels harder than it is.

Are you running E rated tires? They could make harsh impact noise that makes the suspension feels harder than it is.

Running C rated BFG's, it's not a tire issue. It's not a "harsh" ride, its a STIFF ride. I spoke to Cruiser Outfitters and several other guys with similar setups and I'm hoping that the weight and some break in time will help. If not, I suppose I'll be ordering some Dobinsons rear springs with a lower spring rate.

yah, i have a "medium" dobinsons 2" lift, with no extra weight... as soon as i got it installed, i felt like it was just right.

i think you're only hope is that the extra weight will soften up the ride... because i doubt there is really any break-in.

The OME springs for the GX have more options than just “med” or other descriptions unlike the 80 series for example. Possible you got too much spring but you may get lucky and it will work for you once you get the bumper and drawers in. Those will also drop your ride height some.

Ride comfort is subjective. When I put my OME springs in the street ride was noticeably stiffer than stock but not too harsh at all. I have since added the Coastal bumber and I don’t even think about it. I did order the springs based on what the final build was going to encompass and also the main use of the truck.

The OME springs for the GX have more options than just “med” or other descriptions unlike the 80 series for example. Possible you got too much spring but you may get lucky and it will work for you once you get the bumper and drawers in. Those will also drop your ride height some.

Ride comfort is subjective. When I put my OME springs in the street ride was noticeably stiffer than stock but not too harsh at all. I have since added the Coastal bumber and I don’t even think about it. I did order the springs based on what the final build was going to encompass and also the main use of the truck.

Do you know what springs you ended up using? My tears are 2895, as specified in the ‘medium’ lift kit sold by MetalTech.

My invoice part numbers for springs are 2896 for rear and 2887 for front. I have the 90000 shock up front and 60004 rear, I don't really know if there were options on those. It would be interesting to know what the spring differences are. The rears seemed too tall for me at first but the bumper brought it down a bit. Again, that is what I expected. Pics in my build thread.

I am fortunate I was able to sit down with Ben at Slee and he talked me through different options.

I do have the Slee rear spring retainers for sale since I did the axle swap. Just in case anyone is interested.

Yeah, you definitely didn't go with the cushiest OME option. I just put on 884/895 coils with 90021/60004 shocks, and while it is noticeably stiffer than stock, it's very driveable on the road.

I have a 2.5 OME Heavy kit installed with E rated Coopers and it is a decent ride. Albeit the air suspension was failing and driving was like a nauseating roller coaster before.

895/2895 rear coils have a 260lb spring rate.

OME springs a lot heavier than other options. Dobinsons 2" med coil has a 220lb rate for example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom