First aid kit (EMT kit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I chose the 1550 based on what my eventual drawers were going to be. I wanted the best fit for the drawers while having the utilization of all the space available. Thus the 1550.

Of course your own kit will decide your case. In my situation I've already ran out of space so it means I have a second small case for the overflow.

BTW, we has a soccer tournament this weekend and I went through a pack Steri-stripes, gauze pads and gloves for a pretty deep gash. Then a cling-wrap and bandage for a bruised in step. And finally a Sam Splint and another bandage roll for a broken wrist (he was pushed from behind and landed on his wrist wrong).

The standard issue AYSO kit couldn't help with any of those.

BTW x2, one of the other kids' father is a "surgeon". He looked over my shoulder and agreed the wrist was broken and then walked away to watch the rest of the game. I went to talk to him afterwards and asked why he just walked away. His response was very matter of fact, "I'm an eye surgeon and you are protected by the Good Sam Law, I'm not."

He is very cognitive to the fact that once someone else jumps in to help, he doesn't have to thereby releasing him from any possible law suits.

Aeromedix

Is this the site? Where did you get the pelican orange unit and materials?

Thats where I got my oxygen bottle and regulator.

The Pelican case you can get online all day long. Mine I got from a local shop to me called George B. Woodcock in Chatsworth, CA.

All the materials I sourced from Amazon and CVS pharmacy.

as far as first aid kits go, ive found that the best approach is building your own. i had a friend of mine whos a doctor pick one tgat had most of the stuff id beed, then he added extra guaze and band aids, good medical scissors, tweezers, and a multitool; later i added sam splints, quick clot guaze (great for bad cuts in isolated situations where you're not getting any medical help anytime soon), superglue for cuts that should require stitches (use derma-bond if you're worried about the traces of cyanide in superglue)- you can also buy soutre kits if you're confident in youre ability to give stitches, a can of dip (sounds disgusting but wet dip/ dip spit works wonders on bee stings), both duct tape and moleskin for blisters- if you plan on having to hike a long way at a fast pace on blisters (drain them properly first) duct tape is better but at the same time must not be left on for long as the blister cannot air out, along with extra painkillers and pepto-bismol. obviously i wouldnt recommend using most of this stuff on someone elses kid at a place where immediate help is readily available like a soccer game, but out in the woods or mountains or at the beach, if you injure yourself, the quality and variety of your first aid kit will often 1) determine whether a small injury is gonna start the healing process or get worse while ur in the field, 2) determine whether or not you get to stay in the field and continue to enjoy your trip or have to call it, & 3) on the extreme end of things, whether you live or die

I am now keeping a log of all of the injuries/illnesses that the medical kit takes of. Plus marking what gets used. Some things I've run out of without realizing I'm even out of it. The EPI Pen was used for a kid that was stung by a bee. I had no idea, my wife used it when they were at a soccer meeting.

Just found this thread and wanted to contribute what I can. Been in EMS for 32 years this fall, as an ambulance attendant, EMTB, EMTI, and the last 15 as an NREMTP. Been both volunteer and full time union firefighter, grunt and officer, worked in the city and in the sticks. That being said, I have never traveled expedition style or had any experience with high altitudes. I did take a week long wilderness advanced life support class once, that was a real eye opener for a guy that's usually within an hour of a hospital!:hmm: Makes you appreciate the resources you normally have, that's for sure...

I think you can never have too much stuff. Unless the stuff you don't need keeps you from finding and using the stuff you do need, it's not a problem. And that mostly depends on how it is organized. Keeping up with the expirations is a separate issue, but if it's important to you you will do it. Weight and space are further considerations, but it sounds like you are comfortable with what you have. I might add in some stuff for childbirth, kids have the damnedest habit of wanting to be born in the most inconvenient places and situations...and don't worry, in these cases they are coming out with or without your help, so anything you can do to help is a good thing- just try not to drop them! :eek:

You also can never have too much training. I have one whole wall of my office at the station literally papered with certificates and diplomas, and it feels like I know less now than when I started out. And I still get those "what the :censor:!!" calls too, even with all that experience and training. And there is always new information and new procedures coming out all the time, as well as some old ones coming back around in different guises, so staying current is always a challenge too. Emergency medicine is so vast a subject that I don't think anyone could ever learn it all! But we do whatever we can, wherever we are, with whatever we have. So, equipment and training are both equally important. Don't skimp in either category!

You might want to read about the Tactical Combat Casualty Care program the military has been doing, they are finding out some pretty interesting things about extended care situations. Bear in mind that these numbers are coming from traumatic injuries in an 18-28 year old physically fit male population however, and that it may not apply to a fifty year old female diabetic patient with asthma.

Aside from that, it sounds like you are mostly geared toward wilderness situations which makes sense, otherwise the ambulance would be there in a few minutes anyway. Wilderness Medical Associates is a great place for taking those kinds of classes, I've been impressed with their instructors and curriculum and they do classes all over the world. SOLO in New Hampshire also does survival/wilderness medicine type training and I have heard they are quite good as well.

And as a Medic I can tell you that I do care very much what first responders found for blood pressures along the way, because I'm looking for trends over time which helps me triage and treat appropriately. Especially if the patient has been with you for several hours and I'm just now getting to you, that is critical information to pass along. (If it's only been 20 minutes, then no, not so much.) So, something to record times and vitals on and with, either a printed notebook of which there are some good ones, or plain paper, or a crayon on a bandage wrapper, I don't care as long as it's legible. (Times also please!)

It sounds to me like you have a well thought out kit and plan, and are getting more training- all good things!:cheers: If I was out wheeling and came across an incident I'd be pretty pleased to find someone had a kit like yours, 'cause I don't lug much with me in mine. Again, I'm usually closer to a hospital and I have a department-issue high powered VHF radio in my truck, so I can always yell for help. That sounds like it probably isn't an option where you go, and I'd certainly haul more if I was going out further.

Stay safe!

Last edited:
Nice thread.

Wilderness Medical Associates is a top notch organization. The USFS is offering a Emergency Medical Technician - Basic course that is open to the public as well as employees November 26 to December 21, 2013. The course is 120 hours of classroom and 30 hours of field training. Cost for employees is $500.00 and civilians pay something else. This was on my calendar but my workload just won't allow it this time around.

For more info : emtfiretraining@aol.com

A comment about the the use of the Epi Pen NXTLACY's wife used on some kid at a soccer game. I do believe she committed a felony unless she is a practitioner nurse or MD. Komifornia is the only state that won't allow it without a prescription but, I carry Primatene tablets in every first aid kit I own. The active ingredient is epinephrine so, when you buy it you will be carded. Instruct the patient to chew, not swallow, three or four tablets. If Anaphylaxis shock, breathing difficulties, persists administer more. Then go to a hospital.

Eh stuff happens ya know. That was almost 8 years ago now I think so I dont even think about it anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll never see that kind of money in my lifetime again but I'm pretty happy where I'm at. My wife is the bread winner in our household BY FAR.

I don't drink, smoke or do any type of recreational drugs so the Vicodin more than likely will be used by someone that legitimately needs it.

I volunteered as a Conway county arkansas firefighter the summer I turned 17. My dad owned a 1974 dodge powerwagon fire truck, and I learned wilderness first aid along with the other guys that joined up with me. I still carry my bag around, but I don't dare try to help anyone that isn't on the verge of death

image.jpg

Going thru the kit today. It still amazes me how much gets used but also how much I need to throw away/replace.

Going thru the kit today. It still amazes me how much gets used but also how much I need to throw away/replace.
What you use and discard would be an interesting and informative list.
For me the most used items in order are;
Pepto tablets (the squirts are hell, worse on the trail)
Allergy meds
Medium band aids/antibiotic salve
Advil/Tylenol/aspirin

Well, according to my list, I used:
• Small bottle of alcohol (rubbing not drinking)
• Small roll of duct tape
• Super glue
• (5) ACE Bandages
• (4) Povidone Iodine swab sticks
• Eye wash
• (12) Ice packs
• Epi-pen
• SAM splint
• (2) triangular bandages
• (11) bandaids of various sizes
• Neosporin
• Cortisone

Well, another $100 at CVS to replace all the stuff I used or passed its expiration date. Plus I have a new injury to add to my list of injuries that I was happy I had stuff already for it.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397097826.308774.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397097844.724161.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397097860.007466.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom