Cruise Moab 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slickrock Campground Web Site

For several days now, the Slickrock Campground website has a redirect to dualsportutah.com. No one has reported on the Rising Sun board or backchannel within the Cruise Moab committee on being about to contact Slickrock directly (not sure anyone's tried, just reporting what I know).

But our Esteemed Secretary, Sascha Steinway (AKA Nattybumpo) has reported that if you go to http://www.webreserv.com/slickrockcampgroundoh you can make reservations at Slickrock Campground, and that appears to be the regular redirect when you go to reserve anyway.

I and most of our Committee and Trail Sponsors had already reserved before this dualsportutah business, so I don't have any first-hand experience to report about this alternative way to reserve at Slickrock Campground. But we think it's legit and if anyone has anything to report, please let us know.

Safari LTD is going to attend Marv Specter's memorial on May 4th, and have decided that the logistics of Cruise Moab and going to California were just too much, so they have pulled out of Cruise Moab 2014.

While we are disappointed and will miss them very much, we certainly understand. Cruise Moab is every year. Marv's memorial is only once.

TLCA membership status

I just sent off our registrant's info to Jennifer at TLCA so she can verify current membership status for our Cruise Moab registrants. As soon as I hear back from her, I will commence making trail assignments and sending out confirmation emails to current TLCA members. Those that aren't current will get a friendly reminder from me. ;)

If you guys don't mind, i have a couple of questions as i'm registering....

I plan on running some trails before and after cruise Moab... so my question is regarding camping and the BLM fees. Will the fees i pay for the cruise moab registration be sufficient for my additional time spent out in the areas? Or, do i need to pay the BLM fees first since i will be there and off road before cruise moab begins?

Secondly regarding camping. Since i've only been to Moab once, and that was last year, i ran fins and things and noticed camp spots scattered out on the trail. So i'm thinking about camping out on the trails and not in the slick rock camp ground. So, i'm ASSuming that my BLM fees will cover the camping also?

Thanks!

If you guys don't mind, i have a couple of questions as i'm registering....

I plan on running some trails before and after cruise Moab... so my question is regarding camping and the BLM fees. Will the fees i pay for the cruise moab registration be sufficient for my additional time spent out in the areas? Or, do i need to pay the BLM fees first since i will be there and off road before cruise moab begins?

Secondly regarding camping. Since i've only been to Moab once, and that was last year, i ran fins and things and noticed camp spots scattered out on the trail. So i'm thinking about camping out on the trails and not in the slick rock camp ground. So, i'm ASSuming that my BLM fees will cover the camping also?

Thanks!

BLM fees for trail usage are applicable to large, organized groups like ours, not individuals. Cruise Moab BLM fees are only applicable to Cruise Moab trail runs. Camping in the Sand Flats Recreation area is separate and is a Utah State deal. You have to pay that at the Kiosk at the entrance to the Sand Flats recreation area. We pay for your trail runs in that area, but camping is a separate fee. We pull a lot more permits than just BLM, we pull Utah State, National Parks, and many others. Cruise Moab is a huge event, but the permits we pull are only for the parts of the event that we organize. Camping in Utah State recreation areas like Sand Flats, BLM land, National Park or Monument areas are the responsibility of the individual.

Thanks for the response!

Just registered!

Just registered!

Just saw that come through earlier this afternoon. Good timing, I'm doing trail assignments today/this evening. I'll start getting emails out later tonight. It will take a couple days to get them all sent out. While I have a copy-and-paste body, I still individualize all of them. Not just the trails themselves, but often personal messages to registrants, or questions and so forth.

Good to see the migration here seems to have resulted in a well-functioning site!

I am posting as an information update. I spent all day and all evening until around midnight last Sunday 3/16 doing trail assignments and got started on sending out emails. I sent out a bunch more confirmation emails Monday 3/17. I am currently about 1/3 of the way sending out confirmation emails with your trail assignments. I am sending them out in order they came in, and I am working through those that registered on the second day we were open to the public, 1/28.

Somehow the week flew by and all I had time for was answering emails and doing some trail changes but I haven't sent out any more confirmations since Monday. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE! I hope to get the rest of them sent out this weekend. As Woody wrote me when I asked him how the software migration went, he replied and I quote "sleep is overrated" :D

Last year, were participants able to ship parts to Moab (to Cruise Moab?) to pick up when they arrive??

Thought I'd post the outline for the Vehicle Recovery Class that will be presented at CM2014. Hope to see you there....

Location: 1221 HWY 191. Just south of Buck’s Grill House @ 1393 HWY 191
When: April 30, 2014
Time: 2-5pm.... Yes, you can still make the Fin's Night Run (I'm gunning for Daniel)

Preparedness: (30 minutes)

• Equipment (Food, water, gloves, eye protection, hiking boots,
clothing, matches, vigil candles, water purifier, etc)
• Recovery & ratchet straps
• Signal mirrors (How to use them)
• Buddy system

First Aid: (30 minutes)

• Basic bandaging & splinting
• Over-the-counter meds that can save a life (Aspirin, Benadryl, etc)
• Display a basic first-aid kit

Personal Safety: (30 minutes)

• Pre-trip preparation of a vehicle (securing loose gear/projectile
objects)
• Techniques to stabilize a vehicle (Tire change, Hi-lift placement,
vehicle on it’s side or on roof)
• Use/review of hi-lifts, come-a-longs, and electric winches
• Dangers of cables, chain, straps, and anchor points

Anchors: (30 minutes)

• Vehicles
• Trees, rocks, natural features
• Building anchors
• Techniques to re-set a tire bead

Vehicle Recovery: (1 hour)

*Two groups with two props: Winching off of built anchor & Rolled vehicle*
• Approach (360 walk around, disabling electrical system, establishing
priorities)
• Victim removal
• Establishing an accomplishable goal with a time limit
• Winching off of a built anchor; Hi-lift
• Righting a rolled vehicle; electric winch; Hydro lock mitigation (Pull
plugs, e-brake)
• Question & Answers

References:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.html

Speaking of First Aid..... Rising Sun will be offering an actual worthwhile First Aid Trauma Kit specifically designed for offroading. This kit was assembled by an avid Outdoorsman & Firefighter/Paramedic that's been in the field for 20 years.

Here's the details of what's included:

•SAFE-T-KIT Bag, Dimensions: 12"L x 5"W x 5"H (SF-1 - SAFE-T-KIT)
  • Emergency Blanket
  • Trauma Shear
  • Splinter Forceps
  • Disposable Scalpel
  • SAM Splint
  • Velcro Tourniquet
  • (10) 3/4" Bandage
  • (10) 1" Bandage
  • (10) Knuckle Bandage
  • (10) Extra Large Bandage
  • (3) 3" x 3" Gauze
  • (6) 4" x 4" Gauze
  • 1" Tape Roll
  • 3" Roll Gauze
  • Triangular Bandage
  • 3" Elastic Bandage
  • Penlight
  • Non-Aspirin Tablets (2 pkg)
  • Aspirin Tablets (2 pkg)
  • Tongue depressors (aka: finger splints)
  • CPR Pocket mask
  • Cold Pack
  • Hot Pack
  • Eye wash w/ oval & Gauze eye pad
  • Burn Free Gel
  • Antiseptic Wash
  • (4) 3-in-1 Antibiotic Cream
  • Glucose 15 Oral Gel Tube
  • Latex Free Gloves
  • (1) Koban (self adhering wrap)
  • Large Abdominal trauma dressing

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

The text in the above pictures will be very similar but will say "Cruise Moab 2014" instead of "Rising Sun 4x4 Club". Kits will be available for purchase at the event for $80 each but if you pre-order now we're offering a $5 discount. That $75.00 before the event but orders need to be placed before 4/14.

Here's the link to PayPal (Please include the service fee): www.risingsun4x4club.org/paypal.shtml

Please enter "Cruise Moab First Aid Kit" in the description box & then send me a PM to let me know you want one.

Travis

Last edited:
Thought I'd post the outline for the Vehicle Recovery Class that will be presented at CM2014. Hope to see you there....

Location: 1221 HWY 191. Just south of Buck’s Grill House @ 1393 HWY 191
When: April 30, 2014
Time: 2-5pm.... Yes, you can still make the Fin's Night Run (I'm gunning for Daniel)

Preparedness: (30 minutes)

• Equipment (Food, water, gloves, eye protection, hiking boots,
clothing, matches, vigil candles, water purifier, etc)
• Recovery & ratchet straps
• Signal mirrors (How to use them)
• Buddy system

First Aid: (30 minutes)

• Basic bandaging & splinting
• Over-the-counter meds that can save a life (Aspirin, Benadryl, etc)
• Display a basic first-aid kit

Personal Safety: (30 minutes)

• Pre-trip preparation of a vehicle (securing loose gear/projectile
objects)
• Techniques to stabilize a vehicle (Tire change, Hi-lift placement,
vehicle on it’s side or on roof)
• Use/review of hi-lifts, come-a-longs, and electric winches
• Dangers of cables, chain, straps, and anchor points

Anchors: (30 minutes)

• Vehicles
• Trees, rocks, natural features
• Building anchors
• Techniques to re-set a tire bead

Vehicle Recovery: (1 hour)

*Two groups with two props: Winching off of built anchor & Rolled vehicle*
• Approach (360 walk around, disabling electrical system, establishing
priorities)
• Victim removal
• Establishing an accomplishable goal with a time limit
• Winching off of a built anchor; Hi-lift
• Righting a rolled vehicle; electric winch; Hydro lock mitigation (Pull
plugs, e-brake)
• Question & Answers

References:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.html
What time will the fins night run start? I signed up for it but I have to pick up a buddy late morning in Albuquerque on that Wednesday. Thanks

Just a reminder..... One day left to get your "Pre-ordered" Cruise Moab First Aid Kit. See post #32 for kit details and pictures.

Here's the payment details:

1. PayPal: www.risingsun4x4club.org/paypal.shtml. (Please include the $2.18 service fee; total with fee is $77.18)
  2. Please enter "Cruise Moab First Aid Kit" in the description box
  3. Then send me a PM & let me know that you want one.

Just a reminder..... One day left to get your "Pre-ordered" Cruise Moab First Aid Kit. See post #32 for kit details and pictures.

Here's the payment details:

1. PayPal: www.risingsun4x4club.org/paypal.shtml. (Please include the $2.18 service fee; total with fee is $77.18)
  2. Please enter "Cruise Moab First Aid Kit" in the description box
  3. Then send me a PM & let me know that you want one.

I just sent the Paypal for mine!

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom