First aid kit (EMT kit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread, thanks OP! I found a few things to add to our kits.

...don't forget to list expiration dates..

When replacing expired items, also replace the gloves. Anything that stretches will degrade over time. (Ask me about an old Trojan and a 'surprise' 9 months later. :eek: )

interesting thread. a lot of ego going back and forth from what i can see, some good advice, but tough to filter out from the god complexes.

first off to defend the god complex, it is kind of necessary in our (medic) line of work. i personally would want the guy/girl who thinks they are the baddest ass in the business working on me or my family. why? because it usually (not always) means they are putting their absolute best into it. seems counter intuitive but the more aggressive the medic, the more likely they are going to risk their necks to treat you to the utmost of their training and ability.

that said, i have been a medic for 10 years so there isn't a whole lot i haven't seen. but i can tell you for certain that i read this thread precisely to gain good info on what to take into the bush. why? because i haven't the foggiest idea what to do out in the wilds where i am going to have to treat myself or somebody else for a day or more. i only deal with a patient for at most 30 minutes.

urban vs wilderness medical care are two completely different animals. so if you are just a regular joe who has virtually no ems training, but you have been expedition camping for 15 years, i am going to defer to your expertise as to what you have found comes in handy and what is a waste of space. i may be able to identify complex heart disrhythmias, but i haven't a clue how to build an effective litter to carry out a broken fellow camper.

any medics here who think they would be a badass without all the s*** on their rigs are usually not being totally honest with themselves.

that said, i think one way to work this out is to change how we look at a first aid kit, instead of for "life saving" it is making comfortable and fixing stuff that can be fixed. like betadine for cuts and immodium for the runs. does that make sense?

Well got back a week ago from having my elbow literally destroyed in Rio. I was stuck in a Brazilian hospital for two weeks. Its really put things into perspective.

First off I just added this to my arsenal. Its the Pelican EMT 1550. Its much larger than the bag I had before but this is just much better all the way around. My drawer is now going to be built around the 1550. I much prefer Storm over Pelican because the latches are much easier to open for younger kids in an emergency. I have a lot of room but not quite as much as I was hoping. No worries.

For SAM split I am thinking of getting the larger one because the one I have is fine for a shin or a wrist or forearm but not for a joint. I also need wider wraps. This 6" wrap is wonderful.

I also just ordered this:
2D_001.jpg

From: Aerox Aviation Oxygen Systems - Originators of High Duration Oxygen Systems for Aircraft and for First Aid

Cept just a smaller cylinder single outlet.
peli-1550-ems-first-aid-case.jpg

Just went thru my kit today to replenish what has been used and to replace what has expired. Just spent $160 at Amazon and $90 at Target. Ugh. Its amazing how much of the kit was used and how much has expired.

Ok so pictures I will be uploading next but I figured I would upload the list I currently have. I still to update a few things especially exp. dates and the updated Rx list plus I need to better categorize things but I pretty much have everything there. As I get more suggestions I will add accordingly.

There is a surgeon whose son is on my son's soccer team. We talked a little bit about First Aid kits. He echoed a lot of the holier-than-thou answers already given. But when I discussed the fact that myself, and many others on this board, intentionally go places far away from human civilization, he understood what I was trying to accomplish with my kit. He agreed that although what I had was way overkill, he said that if he was somewhere camping with his family and my family, and there was a serious injury where cell service doesn't exist, he would definitely feel a lot better knowing that I had the kit. He also mentioned that I need to take more first aid courses, which I agreed. He also mentioned that at the end of the day its better to have more available for that one person that DOES know what to do.

Its like having a pair of jumper cables. You may not know how to use them but if you stand by the side of the road long enough holding a pair of cables people will know what you are trying to do and someone will know how to give you a jump start.

Attachments

• NLXTACY-First Aid Kit.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 198
Pictures as of today...

I added some reflective tape to the outside of the case. Yeah yeah as if the orange case wasn't enough notice. Belts and suspenders I guess :flipoff2:
image-1205897021.jpg
image-2816500769.jpg

Ace collar ($9 from Amazon) and electric blood pressure/pulse monitor. Is this overkill? Sure is but we just learned that my wife has a heart condition so go suck it if you think it's not necessary. These and the oxygen tank are the only items that aren't in the case. Just won't fit. The oxygen tank is waiting to have its regulator repaired.
image-4020864690.jpg

Here is a shot of the inside of the kit itself. I have a ton of extra stuff that I have leftover because I had to purchase minimums. I will probably just put the excess in the mud classifieds and get it to someone else who needs it.
image-585969483.jpg

So I have been trying to get everything kitted up; tools, blood, truma, etc.

With the addition of the blood pressure/pulse monitor I can get rid of the old school kit it replaces.

Everything in the PDF is inside this Pelican case. Also not shown in the listing of the kit contents/inventory with all the updates especially exp dates. The book that is in there has been great. Its called "Wilderness and Travel Medicine". Its where I picked up a bunch of the info for the kit.
image-1548926477.jpg
image-2388450713.jpg
image-1284845597.jpg
image-2369944501.jpg

Just wondering, why do you need to know the BP and would it change your treatment.

From a pack light kind of guy, in the back country, if someone's BP is off there are lots of other signs and symtoms that will alert you to the fact.

I also challenge the practice of starting O2 and then stopping it after 15 or 20 minutes.

45Kevin said:
I also challenge the practice of starting O2 and then stopping it after 15 or 20 minutes.

You ever had altitude sickness? 15-20 mins is all you need. I'm not trying to make an oxygen life support bubble.

I have a 100 series... there is no such thing as packing light!

I'm not a medic in any way. I know enough to be dangerous. In my case I happen to have sphygmomanometer that I monitor my BP with and I happen to keep it in the kit. I think the value is being able to relay information to professionals while standing by for help. I was in a situation many years ago where the CG was called and they rescue team appreciated the fact we had vitals to relay to understand what they were getting into.

As far as your O2 comment I couldn't say. I know I dont mind taking a hit after a long hike at altitude :) But then again I dont carry O2. I think you have to look at everyone's situation - if you have a specific condition or need.

You ever had altitude sickness? 15-20 mins is all you need. I'm not trying to make an oxygen life support bubble.

Good example, although you will not get your truck up to a high enough alt that the air will be that thin. I guess there are many other situations where one tank of O2 will make a difference.

I'm not knocking your kit, the more stuff the merrier, but as an advanced 1st aider I just want to learn more. I have never taken a BP as part of my vitals and I think most EMT / ALS practitioners don't trust 1st aiders to take accurate BP anyway.

Any word on your elbow?

Good example, although you will not get your truck up to a high enough alt that the air will be that thin.

Except thats where I was. I've experienced it twice. Both times at Mammoth. Once I was on the lift from Main Lodge. The second was driving to Devil's Postpile. From the lift I went to the medic and after 15mins of O2 I was fine...after I threw up :whoops:

The other time was while I was driving and all I did was drive down towards Convict Lake to get lower.

Any word on your elbow?

I need to still visit with the bone guru. I haven't had the time. Thanks for asking :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom