Finally replaced my steering rack LX470 100 series LC (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys this is my first post. So I have been sourcing OEM parts to replace the rack and pinion as well as the power steering pump and reservoir. New OEM tie rod ends and the hoses from the reservoir as well.
99EBDE2D-DB9D-4396-96BC-75D45ED6EEDF.jpeg

The job went fairly well for my first time doing it. I am fortunate to work in a CNC machine shop where we have 2 post lifts. I read on here that the best way to do the job was to raise the engine a tad bit. Loosened up the engine mount bolts and the transmission mount. Was skeptical about using the oil pan as a jack point, but used the flat surface and was good.

F915E09B-2C46-4153-BB5A-67D66C104BCA.jpeg

B5F7DDA1-2764-434E-A31A-B1128A2DCE7F.jpeg

6EC3B737-3426-4FB1-B45A-581373C60B8F.jpeg

I knew the engine was raised enough when the AC line was hissing a good amount. The rack removal went pretty fast and install was fairly easy as well.

Once I got under the hood, I ran into a few small issues when removing the air box (was careful but broke a vacuum nipple) Nothing a little 5 minute epoxy couldn’t fit. The dealer apparently gave me the pump from a 2003 + (mine is 2002). It works fine, but uses a bolt instead of a nut to attach the pulley. The slight difference of the casting prevented the high pressure fitting from mating properly. Alls I had to do was bend the tab that is hanging off the banjo fitting. Of course gotta use new crush washers everywhere.

F482BFF7-760F-4DE3-A4E2-B77E99EA13BC.jpeg

D0AE4CF4-9296-467A-9895-D6FC6169AD2F.jpeg

Everything bled properly using Toyota TYPE 4 ATF. I do want to point out that the high pressure line on the rack needs a new o ring. Be sure to have an oring kit on hand. Also even though I purchased the rack and outer tie rods from the dealer, I was not supplied with any jam nuts for the inner tie rod. Had to source new ones (old ones were rounded off) from McFadden-Dales. They are M20x1.5

Ended the job with a tape measure alignment until my buddy at Bell Lexus can get it on the rack. Got it within 1/32” toe in.

F6031EA1-B03F-4EF8-9478-9DE55543D742.jpeg

7332466B-4C94-42B2-9C9E-90EF75599BC8.jpeg

Stabbed the steering shaft dead on!!! Drives straight as an arrow. Might not need to have it aligned at Bell Lexus but still may have it done.

F5027F6C-F8B6-4BB2-A3A7-03975DA17384.png

Nice work !! Great post !!

Your "rough" alignment might surprise you. You will likely be amazed at how close your toe settings are.

I think I saw your post on FB.

Thanks for the note and ....Keep the Cruiser Faith !

Very nice work!

Thanks!! I did post this on FB.

I have always gotten lucky when changing steering rod ends on my other vehicles. This method could save some money if done correctly.
Nice work. How many miles?
The speedometer stopped working at 317,469. I haven’t put much on since then, so I would guess 325k

Reactions: tip
Looks like brake master pump is also in the list. I recently did this without any electronic readers etc., and it worked 100% perfect. To get the front brakes to bleed, you have to do few hard stops on a gravel/ice roads to activate the ABS. After few short trips I noticed the brakes are back to normal 100%.

Looks like brake master pump is also in the list. I recently did this without any electronic readers etc., and it worked 100% perfect. To get the front brakes to bleed, you have to do few hard stops on a gravel/ice roads to activate the ABS. After few short trips I noticed the brakes are back to normal 100%.
Thanks!!! I did think you needed tech stream but I’ll do the gravel method for sure!

Isn't the ATF spec for our 100 series Dexron?
OEM fluid is $4.96 a quart, you can’t go wrong. You will spend $8/qt for the Dex stuff, which I don’t run in my Toyota’s. It’s probably more important to use an ATF rather than power steering fluid

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom