Finally got one! Ready to mod, suspension and bumper suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! 16 months ago I decided I needed to get out from under my 03 disco 2 project after finally getting it running (head gasket,arp studs,thread inserts on block), driving (transfer case replacement) and was able to break even minus my labor. I wanted very badly to get into a Toyota platform but just didn't have the available cash so settled on a 1st Gen Xterra that was lifted w steering kit but had been rode hard w only 127k miles. I planned in hanging onto it for a few more years to get my $ worth out if the repairs, upgrades and time invested getting it right. That didn't work out as a friend had purchased a 2017 GX last week to replace his 05 and passed the 05 on to me for roughly half of market value. I'm loving it and am ready to start setting it up similar to the Xterra but need advice on which way to proceed with suspension for starters. He was using it as a daily kid hauler so upgraded some things but left it pretty mild, I'd like to utilize the parts he already spent $ on but take it a little further and end up with about 3" suspension lift and then get a little more with a bigger set of tires when it needs them.

It's currently sitting on 255/75/17s mounted on aftermarket MB wheels
All Shocks have been swapped to Bilstein 5100 silver adjustable and aren't set on highest setting
Front: stock springs-only lift was from shock adjustment

Rear: airbags have been removed and replaced with metaltech stage1 coil conversion
Stock height FJ springs with 2" spring spacers
Rears have some kind of pneumatic red airbag inside them that can be pressurized and is spring assist for towing, system has pinched line, needs Schrader valve installed to work/hold air.

So... That's what it has, I'd like it about 1-1.5" higher than it is now. Couple things I need clarification on though. With these parts im not sure exactly how much higher than stock it currently is.

At what amount of lift do I need aftermarket upper control arms?

How much higher than stock of lift will CV axle wear significantly shorten their lifespan?

Is 1" BL worth the time to get a little extra tire clearance? Gotta know now as I'll be ordering a winch bumper and needs to match any body lift.

Rear= OEM fj+2" puck so I should be able to order +3" (hopefully 3.5" height) fj springs and if so what's the most budget friendly way to achieve goal in the front. Attached a couple pics of the gx and 1st Gen I sold to get it. At the end if the day I only had to come out if pocket $500 to get the GX but had to include the warn 8000lb winch and pretty rare alpine 12" type x sub in the deal.

Thanks in advance for any tips, I've been doing as much research as I can but will take a bit to get accustomed to a new platform and 1st hand advice goes way further than education guesses

IMG_20200530_124056134.jpg

IMG_20200530_124112113.jpg

FB_IMG_1591502012644.jpg

IMG_20200531_121619504.jpg

IMG_20200531_121413636.jpg

I know it was a long post but I did still forget a couple things. I have a close friend that's a great welder and said he would help me weld together a front winch bumper. Coastal off-road seems to offer the best budget friendly option with full tubing in a weld together kit, anyone have experience with them? Also, I unfortunately had to let my warn m8000 go with the Xterra. While I'd love to pick up another Warn I am looking at some of the more economical options. For infrequent weekend use are the smittybilt winches pretty good? Next winch will have synthetic line for sure.
Any pointers from someone w similar set up on a GX that I had on my Xterra is greatly appreciated. The Xterra rock sliderswe're custom-built and welded to the frame by the same friend that will be putting the bumper together. Max bumper budget is around $750

I knew the xterra was a step down from any Toyota platform but didn't realize it was that much of a step down. 03 Xterra/05 Toyota, you would think similar tech was available. The Nissan ride so rough, poor fit and finish, the week I got it I gutted the floor boards and installed power leather seats from an 08 Volvo S60 R so it was much more comfortable than a stock 1st Gen but the GX is light years ahead of the same era edit- nissans. You don't know how impressed I am w myself that I turned the situation into almost an even trade. This things a beast, just need a little more clearance and the capability to pull myself or someone out if needed

Last edited:
I have the CO bumpers with smittybuilt winch and I am happy with it. The new HF winch is getting good reviews but I have no experience with them. Ditch the spacers and get proper springs after you figure out what you are going to do with the bumpers and winch so you can match the spring to the added weight.

You have a mishmash of suspension parts, so it will be interesting to see how they can handle the added weight of the bumpers, winch, and other extras that you will add.

Added weight is one of those items that causes people to experiment with various coil spring rates and shock diameter sizes to dial the suspension to their liking.

What’s your current hub to fender measurements? Many on this board have posted their hub to fender measurements with the suspension components they run.

Factory hub to fender guesstimates:
FD - 20.25"
FP - 20.25"
RD - 21"
RP - 21”

I should have said new from factory oem suspension from center of hub up to bottom lip of fender guesstimates.

The guesstimates were for factory oem suspension which sag over time. You are not factory suspension anymore, but you are at factory heights it seems.

I’m at 22.5” in front and 23.625” rear with my current setup. So, im lifted about 2.25” in front and 2.5” in rear with zero extra weight including no 3rd row seats. With cargo in the rear, I could be level which is my preference to be level at 2.25” all around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I've been trying to absorb as much info over the last 2 days and my brains melting just a little. So, as a baseline I'm at stock height but the 5100s can be adjusted higher. One of the ome lifts uses the 5100s in it's kit and includes the spring conversion I already have in the rear. I think I'm going to contact them and see about ordering just the parts of that kit I need. Seems like ome makes the most sense to reduce risk of compatibility issues.

I'm looking at ome 886 front springs 2.5" lift-keep 5100s set at 0 ( not ideal but works til shocks need replacing) there will be steel bumper and winch as soon as I can get it delivered and welded together.
And ome 895 rear springs , don't need the added weight 896, not towing very frequently or have Enough added rear weight.

With 2-2.5 lift do I need to get aftermarket uca? Ucas will pretty much double the cost vs just swapping out springs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom