field woodstove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just bought a Biolite! It supposed to ship next month. I bought it not only as a camping stove, but I think the tech is really cool. I wanted to support the company to continue to create innovating products.

that biolite is kinda cool. the big one they made for families is a real great idea, and the little one would be great for backpackers and river runners so they dont have to carry so many batteries

I just bought a Biolite! It supposed to ship next month. I bought it not only as a camping stove, but I think the tech is really cool. I wanted to support the company to continue to create innovating products.

Cool beans! Keep us posted and all that stuff after you use it some. :popcorn:

check out wintertrekking.com for tons of info on small stoves.

I've made one out of 8" stovepipe and endcaps, with threaded rod for legs. very easy to do.

how's the biolite going?

i just read the wintertrekking article on the hot tent stoves, there's some pretty good info in there.

Since I originally started this thread, I've been doing tons of research, built a few of the samples I've found from the ammo cans and one out of a large stock pot like the gents over at hill people gear show.

All have their pluses and minuses, since this is a TLC forum, I figured alot of you use your rigs for getting to where you want to go in the outdoors. I started designing a stove that has what I think are a pretty good balance of features.

cook surface needed to be big enough for two frying pans and a coffee pot.

Strong enough to support cast iron, but not too heavy as to be cumbersome

variable cook top height, 36" for normal use and 24" for seated use

adjustable air flow from bottom

elevated fuel source - keeping the wood off the bottom of the stove

good heat radiation to warm an enclosed area or those around the stove if outside

water heater for cooking and cleaning

dryer rack for wet items

stove pipe dampner to fine tune burning

large door with a good seal for loading of fuel

everything should fit inside the stove body for transport

while that's a pretty long list of requirements I think it's a darn good start on what an ideal expedition wood stove would need. After coming up with the list, I started making concept drawings, after talking with one of my friends who happens to be a top notch car fabricator, we decided that a full size model needed to be made, now I've never worked with foam board but i figured ah, it should be easy. :doh: yeah, not really, so after buying a bunch of random tools that yes I can justify and say I did need them, well at least to myself, as well as the board material and the suggested glues I got to work.

tick tock

40 hours of work later, after finding that foam board doesn't cut easily, wipes out razor blades in less that 24 inches, beveling edges to ensure fit creates MASSIVE amounts of foam dust, and the suggested glue is worthless, after making jigs and allowing it to set for 36 hours, then just saying whatever i'll go with blue painters tape I find that I'm only halfway through the construction.

At this point, I may just finish it so I can have a full size model for other mods, but if i had to do it again, I would have made the model out of thin gauge aluminum, i'd have had it done in about 8 hours.

The next step for this stove is to finish up some details for the fabrication blueprints, then have a few pieces cut and bent at the fab shop, I don't have a brake big enough to do the main body pieces then we'll get it all put together.

As I don't have a deadline on this, well at least not until the SHOT show and Outdoor Retailer show in January, I have a bit of time. I have a few optional accessories for it, that I'm going to wait on mentioning until the stove prototype is built.

Besides the list of requirements I have above, any suggestions from you guys?

oh and yes, I will post some pics as soon as the first pieces come back from the fab shop.

I've looked at those, pretty nice idea. I'd like to get one to try out but i don't see any US dealers.

Enigma said:
Cool beans! Keep us posted and all that stuff after you use it some. :popcorn:

I ordered and paid for my biolite, should be to me by July. Will post up once I get it and test it out.

I've looked at those, pretty nice idea. I'd like to get one to try out but i don't see any US dealers.

thats pretty much exactly the same as the one i built out of a 20# propane tank i mentioned earlier in the thread. i dont have a diffuser for mine just a 1/4" plate to cover the top hole.

If you're looking for something simple and cheap for a "field woodstove", what we do here in Central Oregon for a campfire on club outings is use the tub out of an old top loading washing machine. It's mainly for the campfire, but you can throw a grill on it for cooking. Course we have colder weather and have more wood available than most folks that live in the sunbelt. Take the agitator out of it, throw it and the right sized grill in a leaf and lawn bag. When headed home, let it cool off, dump all the ash out and transport it in the bag. When it "wears out" it's pretty cheap to replace.:hillbilly:

I agree, the washing machine tub works pretty good, my buddies and I use one when we go to the speed trials at Muroc, I wouldn't consider it a field stove though, more of an enclosed fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom