Fergytoy"s 1978 FJ40 frame off resto. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a 1971 40 that I found in Penna. over the summer when I was visiting family there. Sitting on a trailer and the owner had languished on ever restoring it. Wanted $600 and I had him agreeing to let it go for $300. I was tempted but with it being a 1971 with a drum brake front end, 3 speed and extensive rust damage on everything, I decided to pass. Was entertaining towing it back to Colorado and restoring it. If it was 76 or newer, it would be in my garage right now!!

Johns phone pics 2014 149.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 150.jpg

Just received new "meats" for the 40. Staying with the BFG Mudders in a 35" size. Pic of the rack I fabbed up for the Tepui RTT. Awaiting to be painted in the pic.
Johns phone pics 2014 279.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 278.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 179.jpg

The wife and I took the 40 for a ride over a few mountain passes today and ended up in Salida, CO. Decided to stop by Classic Cruisers and pay a visit. Had not been there for about 10 years and their bone yard has grown considerably. Happended to spot this "rough" Jan 78 FJ40 with a VIN about 75 frame numbers away from mine. Merle has a lot of Cruisers in his yard and has a busy shop.
Johns phone pics 2014 304.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 305.jpg

Cold and blustery at this altitude. Drove thru a hard rain in Leadville and enjoyed the beautiful color change from the Aspen trees. My 40 ran great and never missed a beat. Received several complimentary comments on my truck from others we met on our trip.
Johns phone pics 2014 303.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 306.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 309.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 310.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 311.jpg

Well, the time has arrived to restore the hardtop and doors on my rig. I had finished the truck itself back in May and got busy on other things instead of the top and doors. As the weather began to turn cold this fall, I decided it was time to get the top and doors done. I put the top and back doors on temporarily just to make sure everything aligned well prior to disassembly.

Johns phone pics 2014 318.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 322.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 324.jpg

Disassembled the top and doors down to just their steel parts in preparation for the sandblaster. I was also gonna have the steel hardtop flange sandblasted clean as well to clear out all the old caulking and any rust.

Johns phone pics 2014 327.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 334.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 342.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 361.jpg Johns phone pics 2014 374.jpg

image.jpg
I just did a test to see if I could post a photo.

Apologies for no progress on this thread. Been care-giving for my wife Michele for the past 1 1/2 years due to her lung cancer. It has progressed to stage 4 and I have spending nearly all my time taking care of her as the disease progresses.

I'm very sorry to hear that, John...

But, be sure you make time to decompress. Get someone to stand-in while you join a support group and/or do the things that you find most relaxing.

It's a very difficult situation, for everyone involved... Sometimes you just have to pause and catch your breath..

All the best to both of you.

Hey John. Amazing work. If its not too much trouble I was wondering if you remembered what your measurements were for the piece of diamond plate you used for the bed and the angle of the bend in the front?

John

Thanks for the compliment. I don't remember the measurements but I will try to measure it tomorrow and post it back here for ya.

Took some measurements today of the diamond plate bed. From side to side (wheelwell to wheelwell) it is 41 inches and then a 1 inch downward lip at each wheelwell to allow for spot welds to the wheelwell itself like the factory did. I also laid the diamond plate over at least half the top of the rear sill and stopped it just before it would interfere with the curved downward turn where the rear ambulance doors meet the sill. The measurement from there to the front of the bed where it angles down to the lower front bed is 32 3/4 inches. The small portion that angles down is 2 inches long and if I remember correctly it is a 41 degree bend. I think I had measured that as well as read that angle measure in another Post somewhere. I actually over-layed the diamond plate on top of the front factory sheet metal floor that angles up to meet the rear bed portion. I clamped both metal layers tightly together and welded them together. I later caulked them completely closed so no water could get in between them.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom