False Alarm, Move Along: Anybody hear of an LX450 with K294 door code but no rotary switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think this may be the origin of the "just buy the switch and install it" myth that people always warn about. I'm looking to buy a '97 LX450 and the seller sent me a picture of the driver door sticker and (assuming the pic is authentic) it has "A/TM K294/A343F". The seller said "the guy at mudracks said there are lockers and all he needs to do is install the switch". Mudracks is reputable but the statement could be a lie. I've learned to be very suspicious when the topic of lockers comes up because of all of the shady stuff going on about them.

Let's start with the first question: has anybody ever seen a K294 truck without a rotary switch installed?

At this point, I'm assuming that this truck *HAD* lockers coming from the factory but somebody swapped them out and took the switch, harness, and axles. That would leave this truck with a K294 sticker but no rotary switch. I'm going to ask for pictures of the diffs but without the switch, there's no way for me to absolutely confirm they are on the truck when I get there in person. The seller said, "my buddy told me to just buy the switch and plug it in." My reaction was 1) why haven't you yet, that's an awesome upgrade and 2) something doesn't add up.

Cheers gents and thanks for any help you give me in solving this mystery. I'll post diff pics when I get 'em.

When asking the seller about the missing switch, I suggested that his truck may have had the axles swapped out at some point and I asked for pictures. His response was: "The truck does have lockers. What I'm telling you is that with the optional switch it can be triple locked."

That doesn't add up to me. The e-lockers were a $4k upgrade. I don't think Toyota would sell all LX450's with e-lockers and then charge $4k for the "optional switch" to enable triple locking.

I'm ready to be proven wrong on my assumptions. Can anybody confirm?

You need pics of both diffs with locking actuators.

Something isn't quite right.

NVRMD. I'm dumb. We crossed wires. I thought he was saying the rotary switch was missing. But he was saying that the center diff lock switch is missing. So that makes sense. I'll still confirm on inspection but call off the cavalry.

I think he might be talking about the CDL. When you mention “triple locked” that makes more sense since the plug to control the CD is in the wiring harness for the LX450 but the switch is not there.

If that is the case, then you should be good to go. A simple mod and the harness is there ready to be plugged into.

May want to get a picture of the vin on the dash and then just check that. The door could be swapped and since for some strange reason toyota puts the sticker on the door and not the body, you could have a door from a locked truck on a unlocked..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom