Factory Rear Locker First (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMT

Threads
Are there any side effects if one were to install the factory locker switch, ECM and the rear locker without doing the front? I would like to ease the pain of factory locker-itis over several months or so. Besides, the rear doesn't require housing modification.

That is exactly how I did it.

The rear does require some modification. You also need a new RH axle shaft and you need to build or buy some wiring.

That's my plan too for doing mine (once the box o' goodies gets here from Slee).

Email me if you want - we might be able to answer each others' questions since we're doing the same thing into the same model 80 (mine's a '97)

Linus,

The subject of swapping non-locking and installing factory e-lockers comes up here frequently. C-Dan did it front and rear several years ago and has all the information and part numbers. Unfortunately he only has a few non-digital pics and no write up. He has slept since so we cannot trust his memory for a step-by-step write up. :G

We will nominate you for 5 Cruiser good karma points if you would do a complete write-up of the transformation w/pics and post the project here. Many of our group are new at the more complex projects so the more detail the better.

Whadda ya say?
-B-

B-

Hey, I'm all for it - I can use all the "good karma points" I can get.

I haven't seen C-Dan's writeup, but I do have a digital camera and I'll post whatever in text anybody wants, and if somebody with a place to host pics wants to do so (or knows of a website with free hosting) I'd help out in whatever way I can.

It seems like the most involved part will be the front axle since I plant to use my existing one and stuff the locker 3rd member in it. IIRC, C-Dan used a complete FT axle.

Aside from a little work with a grinder, and building up the gasket area with the wire feed it should be a plug and play job the rest of the way. Oh, and swapping the non-locker axleshaft for the locker axleshaft in each axel (longer splines I think was the reason - I'll let you know when I have both side by side)

There is a good pic on Slee's site under the FAQ's on the subject.

I've got to give credit where credit is due though - Ben @ Slee put together my whole conversion package and aside from my FSM and wiring book he's the guy I plan to call if something gives me more of a problem than I can figure out on my own.

Tell me what you want and I'll do what I can to help.

I never did an offical write-up. I did it quite a while ago before people were interested in it. I have mentioned bits and pieces here and there. The RH rear shaft has longer splines. I did use a new front housing. Be sure that you get the long stud holes tapped perpendicular to the mounting surface or you will have a hard time inserting the front diff. Do you plan to build the harness running from the LH kickpanel to the LH quarter? I used factory repair splices on the end of mine to fit it to the proper factory connector in the kickpanel.

&nbsp:Dan :beer:

Even though I have the F&R lockers from the factory I hardly ever engage the front other than to give it the monthly workout. I find that for the most part the rear locker wil get me out of most of the binds I get into.

Occasionally I will need to be locked F&R, but I release the front as soon as I can to relieve unecessary stress on my birfies.

>> Tell me what you want and I'll do what I can to help. <<

A step-by-step with pics including wiring mods, fabrication, rationale for doing front mod vs new front, etc.

ParadiseCruiser (Ron) posted some preliminary information about the aux tank. His formatting, level of detail, and pics were very good. You can model your write up after his if you want.

Several on this list are very interested in this project and I'm sure Woody will give it space and a link on the home page if the article is complete. Ya never know... it might get picked as a feature in TT. :G
-B-

Linus...If you do it in the next weekend or two you will definitely need to let us (me :D) know how it goes. As soon as I try and receive spousal financal release a.k.a. get up off my money, I will be on my way.

Hey guys- I posted this in another section before I saw this topic here, but I'm curious why you guys chose to go with retrofitting the factory lockers instead of getting an ARB Air-Locker.

Also, what kind of price did slee give you on the retrofit kit he put together, and what is included in this kit?

Alaska...for me it is personal preference. I like the idea of having factory parts. It would be cheaper to do the ARB but that wouldn't be any fun.

Me too,

Mainly I did it to see if it was possible. Which, of course, it is :G

Afer all, I'm a factory kinda guy ::)

Dan :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom