Extra shift in transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me if this is a really stupid question...

I just installed a Wholesale Automatics Extreme A442F transmission in my HDJ81. It came with the Nomad Valve Body and Billet Torque Converter.

I've noticed that I get some sort of extra shift between 3rd and 4th gears that I just can't seem to figure out. It's not lockup in 3rd as far as I can tell.

Essentially, when in D, there is some sort of small shift between 3rd and 4th. You can see the RPMs drop a little bit, but as I said above, it doesn't feel like lockup in 3rd. What's going on? Trans feels great otherwise, just not sure what to make of it...

Last edited:
I think that setup is supposed to lock-up in 3rd. Looks to me like that is what is happening. I have an A343F that locks up in 3rd and 4th, and that's how it looks too.
That said, it's been a long day and maybe I'm missing something here.

Interesting. The lockup feels different than it does in 4th. For example, if you pump the throttle while locked up in 4th, the RPMs dont move much, but in 3rd during this weird little shift, the RPMs will move quite a bit when you pump the throttle.

Last edited:
Interesting. The lockup feels different than it does in 4th. For example, if you pump the throttle while locked up in 4th, the RPMs dont move much, but in 3rd during this weird little shift, the RPMs will move quite a bit when you pump the throttle.

OK, maybe it's not lock-up then; that is strange.

@astr found an extra shift in the Aisin transmission he was using in his Isuzu swap. It appears to be disabled by default but maybe they've allowed it.

@astr found an extra shift in the Aisin transmission he was using in his Isuzu swap. It appears to be disabled by default but maybe they've allowed it.
How did they manage to achieve that? I am keen to make my 4 speed a five speed without changing the whole box to do it. am intrigued by some of the minor tweakings that are available on some of our transmissions.
  • shift cable tightening Trying to determine if it applies to my set up)
  • internal switch inside the pan (not sure if it applies to both A442f and the A3xx )
Fitting a suitable 6 speed to fit up behind my 1HDFTE is something I haven't seen as yet. The 1HDFTE is good for another 500km but the 4 speed although tough is rather clunky

How did they manage to achieve that? I am keen to make my 4 speed a five speed without changing the whole box to do it. am intrigued by some of the minor tweakings that are available on some of our transmissions.
  • shift cable tightening Trying to determine if it applies to my set up)
  • internal switch inside the pan (not sure if it applies to both A442f and the A3xx )
Fitting a suitable 6 speed to fit up behind my 1HDFTE is something I haven't seen as yet. The 1HDFTE is good for another 500km but the 4 speed although tough is rather clunky

His one is electronic. If you've got a shift cable then yours isn't.

His one is electronic. If you've got a shift cable then yours isn't.
No shift cable so electronic with solenoids and no adjustments to shift pressure available from that modification. I am due for a a transmission service so may check for the manual shift modification inside the auto box I saw on a post earlier today. I am also contemplating replacing the solenoids as a preventative upgrade. I watched one guy working through a clean and demagnetise protocol of his solenoids and then doing electrical tests. It might be easier for a novice like me to just replace the solenoids. Can you recommend a supplier here in NZ Dougal. With new solenoids, filter change and new fluid it may take some of the chunkiness out of the shifts.

No shift cable so electronic with solenoids and no adjustments to shift pressure available from that modification. I am due for a a transmission service so may check for the manual shift modification inside the auto box I saw on a post earlier today. I am also contemplating replacing the solenoids as a preventative upgrade. I watched one guy working through a clean and demagnetise protocol of his solenoids and then doing electrical tests. It might be easier for a novice like me to just replace the solenoids. Can you recommend a supplier here in NZ Dougal. With new solenoids, filter change and new fluid it may take some of the chunkiness out of the shifts.

Honestly automatic gearbox mods are something I've never hunted out. A mate had an auto 80 series. But he upgraded to a manual so he won't have any leads either. I know a few 100 series owners and they don't even change their auto fluid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom