External GPS antenna location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So I purchased a new touchscreen stereo for my FJ60 that has the ability to do CarPlay. This unit is an android head unit that gives the ability to run online/offline maps and GPS with the included external GPS antenna.

However, my question is what is an optimal location for the GPS puck? I plan to remove the dash on my 60 so that I can securely attach the head unit to the stereo brackets and do some other wire cleanup while I am in there (possibly removing the heater core too at that time if it is truly dead).
Anyways, I have seen posts where people say that you can just attach it to the underside of the dash near the windshield but would it be more optimal to run it outside the dash and on top of the dash pad/dash valence?

I run the one for my Alpine headunit in the right hand corner of my dash (on top). Works fine and is pretty much out of my line of sight.

I run the one for my Alpine headunit in the right hand corner of my dash (on top). Works fine and is pretty much out of my line of sight.
Mind throwing up a pic @davegonz

I ran an external GPS puck for a few years, right in the center of the dash, tucked up close to the windshield. Worked fine. My Delorme Inreach is mounted on the dash, right next to/above the radio, the GPS works fine on this as well.

Mine sits inside the cabin, on top pf the dashboard in a corner by the windshield. Not going to change that location ever.

So got the head unit this week and installed last night. Super simple plug n play for this portion. Actually entire install was easy just took a while as I did some wire management/cleanup while I had the head unit out.

Thanks to a nasty cracked dash I was able to semi easily slide the cable, which is like 10’ long by the way, through a crack and then mount the puck, which apparently has a magnetic base, to the small metal defroster location towards the passenger side right up against the windshield.

Get great signal across all bands according to the systems GPS diagnostics portion, will need to get away from things a bit to try it out.

Just downloaded Gaia GPS and will have to play with it some with the unit to see how it works. It does not show that it is CarPlay compatible but I think I can run it outside the app via the headunit itself. If nothing else, I can probably download to the head unit itself as it is Android and possibly run natively. Quick run around the city using its native Google maps app and then using Apple Maps via the CarPlay feature both worked flawlessly.

Couple pics... Gaia GPS will not work through the CarPlay however I downloaded it on the unit itself. Have not setup yet though, just haven't had time to sit and tinker. Truck will be going through paint this weekend so got other priorities at the moment.
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

And GPS diagnostics screen...
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

So finally got around to downloading Gaia GPS to the unit and uploading some maps and tracks. Thing works a treat so far just roaming around town. Going to try and get out soon here to see how she does with tracking a route and following a pre-defined route!

So finally got around to downloading Gaia GPS to the unit and uploading some maps and tracks. Thing works a treat so far just roaming around town. Going to try and get out soon here to see how she does with tracking a route and following a pre-defined route!
GaiaGPS is still in its infancy. There are several features lacking. It does not display an active "bread crumb" trail when you are recording. You have to force a screen refresh to see the trail you were on. You also can't enter GPS coordinates to create a waypoint, nor can you alter a waypoint by GPS coordinates.

GaiaGPS is still in its infancy. There are several features lacking. It does not display an active "bread crumb" trail when you are recording. You have to force a screen refresh to see the trail you were on. You also can't enter GPS coordinates to create a waypoint, nor can you alter a waypoint by GPS coordinates.

Is there one you would recommend over Gaia that would work with an android unit such as the Joying headunit?

Is there one you would recommend over Gaia that would work with an android unit such as the Joying headunit?
Honestly, I've been looking for one that doesn't suck. Gaia has potential, but they need to address some real basic issues.
It seems that all of them have issues in one way or another. There's a thread on this topic in this forum.
options , built in offline GPS tablet

Honestly, I've been looking for one that doesn't suck. Gaia has potential, but they need to address some real basic issues.
It seems that all of them have issues in one way or another. There's a thread on this topic in this forum.
options , built in offline GPS tablet

You say it has issues but it seems like that really is the major player out there for "offline" gps navigation. I guess the question more is what are your requirements for utilizing the gps navigation?? Have you submitted a request to Gaia to add the breadcrumbing?

You say it has issues but it seems like that really is the major player out there for "offline" gps navigation. I guess the question more is what are your requirements for utilizing the gps navigation?? Have you submitted a request to Gaia to add the breadcrumbing?
I've been back and forth with Gaia about several topics.
The breadcrumb trails are supposed to work, but they don't across all devices. It has been reported many times.
The ability to modify or create waypoints based on GPS coordinates has also been brought up by others. This is basic functionality that all mapping software should have. I've been using it on Garmin Mapsource for the last 10 years.

I guess I was hoping for something that works well for the woods. I use Google Maps on my tablet for on road navigation, and that works fine 90% of the time. I like Gaia for the ability to preplan off road routes on my laptop, but they limited the functionality of the desktop web version so it makes it more difficult to plan routes.

For areas that have trail maps, Maprica works OK. It will show you where you are on a GPS referenced trail map overlay, but you don't get a breadcrumb option.

I've been playing with some hiking apps, hoping they will be better.

So question then @jonheld..... are you using the app on your phone, laptop or tablet? Just curious as to how this may affect how the app works. I have been playing with it and planning routes and marking areas for offline download tracking on the computer then I download on my headunit while I am attached to wifi at the house.

There are some things that I see do not work in the android version vs. what works on my iphone. Really wish they would move the app over to be CarPlay/AndroidAuto compatible. I am sure they are working on lots of stuff but the few people I have talked with that map while off the grid, this is all they use.

Guess it is half dozen of one, six of another.

The breadcrumb trails are supposed to work, but they don't across all devices. ...

Aha, that explains your earlier comment - I didn't have issues with Gaia on my iPad2.

Back in the days when I used a laptop in the truck, I would map a route in GoogleEarth ahead of time, export the .kml file, load that in MacGPS Pro (where I had my offline maps fo AZ & UT), and that was that - GPS puck mag-mounted to the inside rearview mirror, good to go, only had the signal drop out in really narrow canyons.

So question then @jonheld..... are you using the app on your phone, laptop or tablet? Just curious as to how this may affect how the app works. I have been playing with it and planning routes and marking areas for offline download tracking on the computer then I download on my headunit while I am attached to wifi at the house.

There are some things that I see do not work in the android version vs. what works on my iphone. Really wish they would move the app over to be CarPlay/AndroidAuto compatible. I am sure they are working on lots of stuff but the few people I have talked with that map while off the grid, this is all they use.

Guess it is half dozen of one, six of another.
I'm using it on my laptop to plan and on my Samsung S2 tablet in the truck.

Aha, that explains your earlier comment - I didn't have issues with Gaia on my iPad2.
The breadcrumb issue has been reported across all devices. Gaia broke it on one of the updates and are still trying to fix it AFAIK.

The breadcrumb issue has been reported across all devices. Gaia broke it on one of the updates and are still trying to fix it AFAIK.
Good thing I haven't updated the version on the iPad2 for years...

Good thing I haven't updated the version on the iPad2 for years...
And just to fess up: shouldn't have posted this, Gaia/iPad utterly uncooperative on the trail today. Need to go back to iTunes to get the thing started again, and I hate that...
Good thing today was a trail where I didn't really need a map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom