Extended stabilizer bar links needed?

How much lift on a KZJ78 before extended stabilizer bar links are needed? Or helpful?

My KZJ78 has about a 2-3" lift (unsure of exact height) and while I was attempting to drop the front stabilizer bar, a bolt was frozen and I snapped it off. There's a bit of play in the fitting anyway, so rather than try to extract the bolt, I was going to just buy new stabilizer bar links. That got me thinking... if I'm going to the effort, should I look for extended links and drop the bar? I'm nearly positive the old stabilizer bar links on mine were OE.

The OEM part numbers are 48820-60010 (RH) and 48810-60010 (LH) for abut $35 each, though Partsouq is showing a couple aftermarket versions for about 1/3 the cost. I've cross referenced the OEM part and it does not appear to have been used on any US spec cars, just 70 series.

I had mine initially not extended on my BJ73 3" OME lift. It worked, but the bushes wore extensively. Get them extended.. (likewise the LSPV lever mounting point).
Cheers Ralf

This is a somewhat subjective question... one that may be difficult to answer. Does it drive fine now? Does it wear out the bushings quickly?

I am all for keeping things as close to factory as possible, reducing any stress points. I think for my 4" lift, I added a 2.5" droplink connection (terrain tamer if memory serves) for the stabilizer bar.

This is a somewhat subjective question... one that may be difficult to answer. Does it drive fine now? Does it wear out the bushings quickly?

I am all for keeping things as close to factory as possible, reducing any stress points. I think for my 4" lift, I added a 2.5" droplink connection (terrain tamer if memory serves) for the stabilizer bar.
Tough question... The shocks on mine currently are so bad it would mask over any problems with the sway bar being too "tight" and limiting movement too much, and I have only owned the car for a few months and can't say whether it has been chewing through bushings too quickly or not. It came with a lift done in Japan - used new springs but OE shocks and original sway bar links. The bushings in place now look ok, which given the vehicle is 26 yrs old tells me they've been replaced at least once. The condition of the bolts attaching the bushings suggest they have not been replaced particularly recently. When jack the car by the frame, there is considerably less droop in the tires than I would have expected, so I suspect sway bar extensions would not be a bad thing.

I think I'll re-evaluate after I've replaced the OE shocks and the aged sway bar links without extensions. It would be a pretty simple change to come back after the fact and insert a set of extensions below the links.

I extended mine after seeing wear and how the bushings got destroyed. Don’t notice a difference while driving, but they’re much happier. And if you want to keep things stock, then why lift it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom