Explore the Manzano Mtns - Nov 8th. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*** Update: Let's meet at 10 at the Sedillo Hill Travel Center, right off the Sedillo exit from I-40. Stephen got information that the store opens at 10 so people can get some coffee or use the toilet if they need to before we head south.

I'm thinking about leading a run to explore the various forest roads that are in the Manzano mountains. I have a little familiarity with some of them from gathering firewood and going to the 4th of July Campground recently. But I'd like to spend a day just driving around, checking things out for the whole area between Mountainair and Chilili. From what I've seen, it should be stock vehicle friendly as long as you've got decent tires and a low range but honestly anybody with a Subaru and some skills could do most of it. Anybody interested in joining us?

The date I'm targeting is Sunday, Nov. 8th. I'm thinking that we would meet somewhere in Tijeras or the Sedillo Hill area near I-40 in the morning and then head south. We'll probably end the day around Mountainair somewhere so folks in Belen/Los Lunas/southern ABQ could head back home via Belen/I-25 if that's easier.

Last edited:
Hmmmm..... Ditto on curiosity for that area. I am in tentatively, barring unforeseen people having unforeseen designs on my time. I would want to bring my shotgun to chase after any Grouse as long as there are no objections.

I may try to make this ride. Will let you know soon. Thanks for setting this up.

Hmmmm..... Ditto on curiosity for that area. I am in tentatively, barring unforeseen people having unforeseen designs on my time. I would want to bring my shotgun to chase after any Grouse as long as there are no objections.
Regarding grouse chasing, that makes me a little nervous depending on who shows up and what their preferences are with guns and hunting. I suppose if you spotted one and hung back from the group, maybe. But I can assure you that my wife is not going to be happy if there are shotgun blasts going off in close proximity to the off-roading party.

Last edited:
I’m in for this ride! Putting it in my calendar now.

Regarding grouse chasing, that makes me a little nervous depending on who shows up and what their preferences are with guns and hunting. I suppose if you spotted one and hung back from the group, maybe. But I can assure you that my wife is not going to be happy if there are shotgun blasts going off in close proximity to the off-roading party.
Understood, this is your trip. It would absolutely depend on group, size, opportunity and comfort levels. Close proximity would be a 100% negative for politeness and legality. (you cannot fire from, across or on an improved road, not sure that a FR qualifies but I treat it as such) I would envision taking up the rear and bouncing out with a radio or breaking off from the group. It would mostly be a good scouting opportunity.

Understood, this is your trip. It would absolutely depend on group, size, opportunity and comfort levels. Close proximity would be a 100% negative for politeness and legality. (you cannot fire from, across or on an improved road, not sure that a FR qualifies but I treat it as such) I would envision taking up the rear and bouncing out with a radio or breaking off from the group. It would mostly be a good scouting opportunity.
That seems reasonable. Just be prepared for opinions to change.

I may go. Its been a long long time since I have bounced along those roads. If I go I will probably just fall in the line where 217 and South 14 meet.

I am new here (to the forum), but am interested in going on this drive.
Welcome. This ride is a good way to meet some folks.

I wanted to note that it seems that all the FS roads I want to explore make lots of loops back to pavement so if you're not in for the whole day, you could work your way back to Hwy 55 and head home early.

Also, plan to bring lunch/food and show up with a full tank of gas. There really aren't any places to get any food where we will be except for maybe a mom and pop community store.

Where is the nearest fueling spot?
If people are willing to backtrack a little bit, there is a gas station at the Sedillo exit with lots of room and a good place to gather. They're not open late but I'm pretty sure they're open on Sundays. But if you're coming east on I40, just fill up at Costco on Eubank or Maverick on Juan Tabo north of the freeway or Smith's at Central and Tramway.

Was it decided on exactly where and when we are meeting?
I was thinking of meeting at 9 am at the Park n' Ride parking lot at the Sedillo exit just south of I-40. There is the previously mentioned gas station across the street for folks that need it. Then we can either backtrack to Tijeras and head south on 337 or go east about a mile and head south on 217. There are some fine meeting places around Tijeras too (Bank, Post Office, Library, The Roots Farm Cafe Ali mentioned) but no gas stations unless you head north on 14 a few miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom