Experience shipping bulky items (??) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Couldn't think of a better place to ask than the FS section. How do you guys ship really big, awkward, bulky, clumsy, etc..items? Stuff like hoods, complete seats (F & R), driveshafts...you get the idea.

I have a few inquiries out about some front & rear (bench) seats and the big question seems to be how to ship something that big and awkward cross country...and/or how to package it.

What's a good shipping solution?

depends what it is. If its beyond the size limits of fedex or ups - use greyhound. If its within the size limits, but over wieght for fedex or ups - use DHL their weight limit is 150lbs

It is a pain in the ass. Packaging is the biggest issue.

Try to find a box big enough to put a regular bucket seat in that does not get nailed with Oversize charges.

I have two fenders a guy in PA wants. I have driven about 200 miles in the last month and a half looking for a pair of boxes big enough to put them in. Bike boxes don't work.

I finally had to go to a Ford dealership and "buy" a fender box from the body shop.

I have rust free 60 series doors, tailgate, upper latch, etc that I woudl love to sell. Finding boxes for them is too much of a pain in ass. I will probably haul them to the scrap yard or give them to SOR.

shipping

when I got my HFS lift kit CCOT sent it UPS and just stuck a label on each spring

boxes n springs

yeah. springs can just be labelled and shipped without boxing. other stuff you can make your own boxes out of appliance shipping boxes. try your local big box store and ask for boxes they'd otherwise recycle. then go home and cut them up and reconfigure to fit whatever you are shipping.

Alot of bigger parts should just be strapped to a pallet and truck shipped.
Doors in pairs, front bench type seats, complete winshield frames, diffs, tranys/ transfer cases. Even sets of wheels. Have them sent to a local dock or terminal then pick them up yourself to save a delivery fee. On some items the local bus system works, but they also tend to evade hauling cargo if they see too much luggage space being used up.
Its a good idea to always have some pictures taken of the items being sent before shipping. If any damage is occurred in shipping you will have proof for fileing any claims. And you also might need proof of any misleading or dishonest selling tactics. It happends more than one would think!

I like the idea of cutting a few different boxes to fit then using a roll of shrink/cling wrap stuff to mummify the whole thing. I see a lot of bulky stuff done that way at the bus terminal.
Seems FEdEx ground is a little more forgiving than UPS. Just curious what others do. Thanks for the responses.

greyhound

shipping

I recently shipped a complete front seat , 2 pieces , from Oxnard , CA to Maryland and the best deal I found was Fed-ex. The boxes I had got from a packing warehouse put me in the oversize category but the guy at Fed - ex helped in that he said cut the boxes down , like skniper indicated above . and He even helped . I think the price was around $90 and was there in about 3-4 days.

I just shipped a milling machine to AZ via UPS. OK it was a small mill.

For doors, the best boxes I've found so far are mattress boxes. You have to cut them down a little bit because they're real close on the FEDEX size limit. Shipping runs like 130-160 depending how far it goes. I agree with D'Animal, doors, fenders etc... are more of a PITA than it's worth. You end up spending a couple of hours and a roll of tape boxing up one item.

x2 on mattress boxes, bike boxes, and dumpster diving at various body shops. It also helps to show up at a body shop and ask them if they have any tailgate repairs, or minivan body repairs coming up. Those boxes are big and have loads of special padding, and cardboard bracing. It is not hard for them to set them aside....if they are amenable.

HOWEVER....sheet metal does not ship well, no matter how you do it. I have talked with body shop guys that say upwards of 30% of all sheet metal is damaged upon arrival. So, buy insurance....if you are shipping metal.

the last of my 60 series parts were all sheet metal. I wouldn't bother doing that again. It was the only time I wished I had charged the buyer for handling fees. It was like 2-3 hrs of box hunting and packaging to do it well....for one quarter panel.

I just got a hatch it was put on a pallet and offset with some scrap 2x4's and a flat piece of cardboard to protect the finish. simple but effective. A private hauler that runs the east coast FL to NY

It was $130

bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom