Expedition One Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve seen a few mention other products by expedition one, but does anyone have experience with their roof rack? I can’t find exactly what I’m looking for, but the exp1 mule is the closest.

Specifically looking for aluminum and high sides? looks interesting
M146489178

Specifically looking for aluminum and high sides? looks interesting
M146489178
I prefer the basket style with the crossbars set beneath the top of the rails. I’ve asked several shops if they’d have any interest replicating the Westcott designs LC200 basket that bolts onto the factory rails after Westcott rejected the idea. I really don’t want to ditch the BlackLine roof rails, but I can’t find what’s in my mind.

I have the mule rack on my FJ. It’s nice. But just know that you have to be careful with it. Unlike a Baja rack, you will NOT be able to stand on it. The cross bars will flex, so depending on how your load is distributed, it can become an issue. I really like the look and it’s light and quiet. But I sometimes miss the strength of the Baja rack. ( Just not the noise. )

I have the mule rack on my FJ. It’s nice. But just know that you have to be careful with it. Unlike a Baja rack, you will NOT be able to stand on it. The cross bars will flex, so depending on how your load is distributed, it can become an issue. I really like the look and it’s light and quiet. But I sometimes miss the strength of the Baja rack. ( Just not the noise. )
I had a TRD Pro 4R before my GX and I had the Baja rack drop-in basket for the Pro roof rack. It worked well for my needs - no awning or RTT, just a few Plano totes and recovery boards. I pulled the trigger on the mule rack. I would like to have it by my July trip, so figured I better make moves now.

I had a TRD Pro 4R before my GX and I had the Baja rack drop-in basket for the Pro roof rack. It worked well for my needs - no awning or RTT, just a few Plano totes and recovery boards. I pulled the trigger on the mule rack. I would like to have it by my July trip, so figured I better make moves now.
Where you going in July?

I’m registered for the Rocky Mountain Toyota Roundup in Ouray Colorado in July and so looking forward to it.

I imagine you have to load hevier gear towards the right or left side of the rack so it doesn't bounce and bend the spars?

Well, ain't that looking sexy! Matte wrap and rack!
Looks awesome!

If it's not too intrusive, what did the wrap cost? And the approximate live expectancy?
I've been told that a "matte" finish will not last as long as a shiny finish.
From what I understand, the matte finish doesn't have a protective coating, while with the shiny wraps, what makes them shiny IS that protective coating.
What's the story with yours? Are there new and better vinyls available now?

If it's not too intrusive, what did the wrap cost? And the approximate live expectancy?
I've been told that a "matte" finish will not last as long as a shiny finish.
From what I understand, the matte finish doesn't have a protective coating, while with the shiny wraps, what makes them shiny IS that protective coating.
What's the story with yours? Are there new and better vinyls available now?
I don’t mind. PPF was $7k. It has a 10 year warranty against discoloration, cracking, peeling and bubbling. I’m not sure about others like Xpel, but the Suntek ultra satin has a hydrophobic top layer. It’s also self-healing, which I believe most (all?) PPF are at this point. The prep required on a matte PPF is ridiculous. Any contaminate jumps out because the high contrast of the PPF when it doesn’t lay perfect.

Reactions: r2m
My only problem with that style roof rack is that I would need it at least 48x96 to carry sheet goods on top of it. That's how I basically get away with not having a pickup truck...the roof rack!

Reactions: r2m
My only problem with that style roof rack is that I would need it at least 48x96 to carry sheet goods on top of it. That's how I basically get away with not having a pickup truck...the roof rack!
Gamiviti...
There's enough options to build it almost any way you'd want.
I have the full rack and if it wasn't for my RTT, yeah, I could haul full 4' x 8' plywood/drywall, etc. sheets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom