Expedition BJ74 Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Watch and learn, Grasshopper:grinpimp:

Well, best post up pics as you go, Turdburglar.:grinpimp:

I should charge you money for that pic. I had to push Stedman's HZJ-79 down a rest area parking lot in the rain to get there. Alt took a s***.

Randy

To answer your questions Greg:

I'm using 60 axles because they are what I've got. I like the idea of matching R+Ps and the aftermarket support is pretty good for them.

I'm used to the feeling for the front lifting and occasionally the back too. Some amount of armor will be prudent but I don't know how much. I need to hold the tent on the FRP and had though about just caging the interior and bolting a roof rack through it. I have a spare top at the moment so I might just do that.

Linking the rear is primarily to solve three problems. 1) Wrecked leafs, 2) Broken pinions and 3) variable load. I could solve 3 by just adding bags to the top of stock leafs but the links are not going to add much $ to the equation will solve 1 and 2 in the process. The front is much more difficult if you don't want King Coils sticking up above your hood and there are fewer benefits.

Thanks for the fridge comments, I think the spare does more of the same. It’s a reality. The trick is going to be packing with as much weight low as possible. The advantage to the bags here is they can be slammed for stability and COG concerns on the road.

Totally agree on the cabin storage. I'm willing to sacrifice drawer length to make sure this happens.

Seats will likely be more Supra ones and will be positioned back, as you say.

Cheers,
Bruce

Ya, that is why I am really undecided about the RHD locked 81 axles...but 60 series locked are getting harder and harder and harder...and

I've felt the front lift a few times and had to turn downhill, and they were not extreme sidehills. I did have a fair bit of weight up top, but was also running 1.5" spacers on each side, so in effect had the width of 60 series axles.

If your going to the trouble of linking the rear, why not link the front too?

I've got my fridge mounted on the drawer system. Puts more weight up higher, but to place at floor level take up a lot of potential storage space. If you're trying to minimize weight up high consider somewhere else.

I am very glad I built an easily accessed storage area behind the seats as part of the rear bin. It comes in very handy when treking and packed up.

As you know from your 70, the dash is nice and flat and becomes a collection spot. I found when you need defrost you have to move everything...to...well that's the issue. While it looks dorky, a shelf built from side to side across the top of the windshield would be a boon. Just make sure it has padding and does not come out too far.

Consider moving the seat mounting system back 3".

There's more, but have to run.

hth's

gb

Fawk the sushi, I have a hankerin' for that Curry joint again.

Does it make me a bad person if I break a promise to myself by a couple of inches?

Well, you KNOW I'm excited to watch this truck come together!
I don't have anything to add that you didn't already know 10 years ago. Sounds like your plans have gone a little further (and gotten a little bigger) than when we talked before christmas (hey, you never came back for sushi!), and certainly a lot further than "I promised myself no bigger than 35s!" :D

On the contary, Alan, Peter's rig works really well and is inspiration for this project. It just gets to the trail on a trailer and I'm hoping mine won't have to.

Hi All:

Wow Bruce! Big project!

I'd have to agree with Randy's comments, but that is not much of a surprise considering my lack of awe for fancy suspensions.

I take it that Peter's SOA BJ74 does not impress you with its performance?

Regards,

Alan

Watch and learn, Grasshopper:grinpimp:

Bruce,

Grasshopper want to know something. (I'm talking grasshopper style now)

How is "expedition" cruiser towed around on a trailer?

Does not sound very "expeditionary" to grasshopper!

Grasshopper leave now. Grass is greener somewhere else.

:grinpimp: :grinpimp: :grinpimp:

We can cuddle on your plans after you post pics.:D

Randy

Bruce,

Grasshopper want to know something. (I'm talking grasshopper style now)

How is "expedition" cruiser towed around on a trailer?

Does not sound very "expeditionary" to grasshopper!

Grasshopper leave now. Grass is greener somewhere else.

:grinpimp: :grinpimp: :grinpimp:

We can cuddle on your plans after you post pics.:D

Randy

Ah Randy-san you must have misunderstood my desire to tow a trailer with my rig to mean I wanted to tow my rig on a trailer.

Wax on Wax off Wax on Wax off

Lowenbrau, I recall that a while ago you were looking around for an LJ78 body...were you originally considering using the LWB 78 for this project?

Just curious.

I've had so many versions of this thing go through my head, I might have been looking for a four door. I probably was thinging about putting it on a HZJ79 mine truck chassis I had my eyes on. I also (briefly) considered grafting a Vanagon body onto the back of the same mine truck.

Ever since I bought my LJ73 in 1999 I have thought this would be a slick, on demand, long range vehicle mod.
LC73bigwhitecamper.jpg

Main leafs, pretty crappy.

but the hole pack . .. ?

I recently broke my master leaf .. after 8 years of hard wheeling ( 3 years SO ) but the hole pack .. wou !

Starting with the hight tech stuff. ;p

Actually one of my pet peeves is new RHD owners who don't swap out their left facing headlights for DOT approved ones so I decided I'd fix this rig up before I head out for a 2000km round trip this weekend.

H4 housings by Trucklight, available nearly round the clock at your friendly neighborhood Freightliner dealer for less than $30 each cdn.

The original ones look to be factory, made by Koito. They were fused pretty good to the ss rings from all the headlight washer juice.
random headlights0s.jpg
random headlights1s.jpg
random headlights2s.jpg

It is tech, and people were concerned about pictures so I even took one of where the screwdriver goes when swapping the housings.

I also, fixed up the guage lights, cig lighter, and some stereo wiring. Should be a good road trip.
random headlights3s.jpg
random headlights4s.jpg
Random headlights5s.jpg

You mean something like this?

Rock Crawl event in Kyoto, Japan.
PZJ-7?

A Rock Crawler not an expedition rig, sorry.

Hijack .. did you have more pics of this event . ?

It is tech, and people were concerned about pictures so I even took one of where the screwdriver goes when swapping the housings.

could you please post which direction the screwdriver turns, and torque settings ?

:D:D:D

could you please post which direction the screwdriver turns, and torque settings ?

:D:D:D

<grin> I can tell you which way one didn't turn at about as many inch/pounds as you can get out of a screw driver.

Fawk the sushi, I have a hankerin' for that Curry joint again.

Palki waits for you...

Curious though - as Shaker and Peter's 74 are both trailer-only rigs, and you're planning on a similar build and 38s for the street, what's going to be different enough that yours should be nice for a 3000 mile road trip and theirs are not? Obviously moreso the 74 - is Peter's truck just a street tread away from being a comfy long haul highway machine? Or is it simply the convenience factor of trailering that works for them?

Palki waits for you...

Curious though - as Shaker and Peter's 74 are both trailer-only rigs, and you're planning on a similar build and 38s for the street, what's going to be different enough that yours should be nice for a 3000 mile road trip and theirs are not? Obviously moreso the 74 - is Peter's truck just a street tread away from being a comfy long haul highway machine? Or is it simply the convenience factor of trailering that works for them?

Really, its tires and roofs that limit those two. Shaker drove to Rubithon in 05 on rev1 of the suspension and did fine. Tires really are the difficult part. Those XMLs are freaking heavy and there are better on and off road tires. The Iroks are quite simply off road only due to the soft compound.

The only reason I'm going as large as 38s is because Toyo MTs come in that size and I think they will be a good tradeoff tire. If they made a 36-16 I'd be all over that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom