Exped Megamat storage method (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Do you store your Exped Megamat rolled up (which clearly saves storage space) or do you leave it inflated at home and only roll it up while traveling to a campsite?

Does Exped recommend it to be stored inflated?

Hi,

Do you store your Exped Megamat rolled up (which clearly saves storage space) or do you leave it inflated at home and only roll it up while traveling to a campsite?

Does Exped recommend it to be stored inflated?
I think I read somewhere that they recommended storing unrolled, but don’t quote me on that. I don’t have space to store ours that way, so I leave them rolled up. A few days before a trip I’ll get them out, let them self inflate and lean them up against a wall in the house until it’s time to pack up and go. We’ve had ours for a couple of years now and this seems to work pretty well.

Like Ironguy said - unrolled and open if you can. I'm fortunate I've got rafter space in the garage. My experience has been that storing this way also decreases the time it takes to inflate when I get to camp if it's only been rolled up a day or two before setting up on the trail.

Subscribed.

Unrolled, valves open as well.

^this^

Storage room in basement allows for such.

I store mine unrolled with both valves open under a bed in our spare bedroom. I also leave it inflated on my platform when I travel between campsites. I've found that I can (carefully) place some items on top of it with no problem. I even set my solar panels on it. They are heavy, but since they are large, the load is distributed. I keep the mat covered with blankets and an open sleeping bag for protection.

Rolled. Inflating it before a trip helps it partially self inflate faster but I usually skip that as well. It might cost you a few extra minutes the first night but it’s only the first night.

unrolled with valves open is what Exped recommends. I store ours under beds. I have 3 and need to cull or buy a house with more spare beds.

However, every one of these sold, was sold rolled up. Who knows how long they've been rolled up. I agree, if you don't have space, storing them rolled up, and letting them inflate a day or so before your trip should be fine. I would recommend using the provided pump or the Schnozzel bag to inflate or top up pressure. I don't think blowing moisture into them with your mouth is a good idea.

Storing it rolled up does no hurt it, it just takes a long time to self inflate and you will need to top it off with your breath

^^^
@Kofoed , this is my thinking too. Not sure we are correct tho...I wonder why the mfg says to store it unrolled?

^^^
@Kofoed , this is my thinking too. Not sure we are correct tho...I wonder why the mfg says to store it unrolled?
The resilient cushioning components inside expand to force the bladder open and draw in air. If they’re compressed for long periods then they take additional time to expand to their original shape which lessens the self inflation effect.

I store my MegaMats one rolled and the other stored in my RTT with valves open. The one I use with a ground tent is rolled and I have a ton of nights on it and no problems thus far. I have had it since they came out with them. Exped for the win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom