exhaust routing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruiser has the exhaust coming out of the back and i am wondering if this is the stock location. I have seen a lot of cruisers with a tailpipe poking out of the side in front of the drivers rear tire. Last summer i got terrible exhaust fumes from the air swirling back up in with the top off and i am thinking that re-routing it out the side would help correct this. If it does go out the side, where does it cross the frame?

In my '71, the stock exhaust follows the inside of the frame to the muffler, which is along the inside of the frame parallel to the driver"s side rear wheel. The tailpipe makes an "L" and comes out just behind the driver's side rear wheel. This was the case for '58 through '74. From '75 on, the stock exhaust pipe goes back to just behind the driver's wheel, then makes an "L" to the right. The muffler attaches perpendicular to the rear wheels in the center, and the tailpipe exits just behind the passenger side rear wheel. Here's a page of diagrams from the SOR catalog, which takes its figures from the various Toyota body and chassis manuals: http://www.sor.com/sor/cat046.tam?xax=76&page.ctx=cat046.tam

.i have a 74 w/ 2f enigine and my exhust goes out the back on the drivers side. there are no "L" pipes in it anywhere, its just straightfrom the engine to the muffler to the tail pipe

I am looking to run the exhaust pipe uot the side to help get it out of the way and hopefully to help the fumes. Any suggestions on how to get it out in front of the tire?

I would go out behind the driver side rear tire, if you go out in front of the rear tire wouldn't it force you to run the pipe below the frame? Not near my cruiser now, but I will go check it out this afternoon.

I agree with Cruisin' Bailey. You want it just behind the driver's rear wheel. I would just get the angled tailpipe and run it in the stock position. You want the tip of the pipe to stick out about 2 inches beyond the rear panel so the hot exhaust won't blister your paint. SOR and MAF I am sure would be happy to sell you one of theirs. (I have a used one myself that is a little bent, but if you want it for really cheap let me know.) You would have to cut off the old tailpipe and get some sort of sleeve to put it on the back of your muffler. Then, there is a little ubolt hanger thing that clamps it to the frame.

one thing to consider, if you're getting a lot of exhaust up front it *could* be a leak at your exhaust manifold gasket. Mine is leaking and i can definately tell.

I am pretty sure the manifod gasket is good and it only does it with the top off. never once with the windows down and the kick vents open.

you get exhaust sucked back into your cruiser, because of the vacuum created as the cruiser is moving. Same principal nascar uses in drafting. Running exhaust pipes out the back or side doesn't really matter in solving the exhaust being drawn back into the tub. If you are really serious about not getting the fumes, you need to install an airfoil on the back. Remember seeing station wagons with the airfoil over the back window? It breaks up the air flow at the rear of the vehicle to cut down on the vacuum effect, that way the rear window stayed clean. An air dam under the cruiser does the same thing, until you go over the first rock. :p

Mine goes out the side behind drivers side tire, stops even with the body, never had any fume vacuum problem at all, I have my top off 8 months a year.

It is possible to route the exhaust above the frame rail with an exit in front of rear tire. My 40 has been this way for several years. The muffler is between the frame rail and the transmission. The tail pipe runs above the center crossmember out over the frame rail and down. It is a little bit loud however.

Remember seeing station wagons with the airfoil over the back window? It breaks up the air flow at the rear of the vehicle to cut down on the vacuum effect, that way the rear window stayed clean. An air dam under the cruiser does the same thing, until you go over the first rock.  :p[/quote]

80 series have the airfoil on the back and it works great for keeping the rear window clean. It would look incredibly stupid on a topless 40 series though. :D My truck is pouting over the comparison to a station wagon.

I have had great success with rerouting the exhaust to the side with just an angled tip. A buddy had a CJ-5 and a CJ-7. The 5 was so bad you couldn't ride in it. He couldn't figure out the difference until I pointed out the exit point in the exhaust. A couple of bucks later he was stylin'. A least as stylin as you can be in a Heep.

80 series have the airfoil on the back
My farthers FZJ80R does not have a thingy on the rear window, And I have never seen one on any 80 Series. ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom