european-cars / Dave Gitman / Cars of North East (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
jameshome.com
If you've ever looked at Land Cruisers on eBay, you've almost certainly come across Dave Gitman and european-cars, which often has a dozen or so 80s, 100s, or LXs up for sale. This Feasterville-Trevose seller is also known as Car Cheer, but your check is made payable to Cars of North East. They buy dozens of Land Cruisers and LXs a year at dealer auctions, "clean them up" and sell them for top dollar. Unfortunately, clean up is typically whatever is the minimum necessary to make them look good in low resolution photographs.

Here are two threads full of stories of other MUD member experiences with Dave:

My own experience was quite similar to the ones described there, a relatively low mileage LX470 (135K), that looked gorgeous in photos. Dave was a pleasure to interact with via the eBay make offer interface, although my first warning sign came when he accepted my final offer via text instead of on the platform. The BADVIN report wasn't too surprising, although it revealed that the car had spent a lot more time in New York and New Jersey than the apparently edited Carfax on the eBay listing suggested. Still, it looked great, so I made a deposit and ordered a PPI. As soon as I ordered a PPI, Dave reported that he had decided to replace the timing belt and water pump. That seemed odd and early, but also seemed like good news. Dave never includes photos of undercarriages in his eBay listings, so the PPI photos were the first to reveal the extremely heavy recent undercoating. They also showed much more interior and exterior wear. Not great, but I still wanted to go see the truck. Just before I got on the plane to Philly, I learned that you can look up dealer service records by VIN. It was there that I learned why the previous dealer had held on to it for over a year — it had been taken to a Lexus dealer for a presale inspection because the steering was rough, and the dealer found "underside of vehicle and most engine compartment components severely rusted (some flaking off to the touch)...visually see the steering column shaft is warped". Not what you want to read sitting at the airport. I texted Dave a screen shot and gave him a call and he tried everything to get me to follow through on the deal. He made it a struggle to get even part of my deposit back.

Given the volume he is moving, there are bound to be a few good ones in there, but I wouldn't trust any work done by his team, or any of the stories being told about the vehicles.

Good call! Did you recover your deposit? Always do your homework before buying anything ,good that you caught it in time.

He wanted to keep half of it; I settled for $300 of the $500. Relatively cheap lesson.

Thing is, I thought I had done my homework, with the BADVIN and the PPI, both of which came back relatively positive. So grateful that Toyota/Lexus makes it so easy to look up service histories. It's so easy to keep your rose colored glasses on when you find a good looking truck and so important to take them off.

Instead I wound up with a meticulously maintained rust free 2006 being sold by a knowledgable and trustworthy MUD member. My biggest takeaway is that it's worth passing on even a good looking truck being sold by a high volume dealer to work with an individual person who loves the rig you are buying as much you do. It just makes a huge difference.

Glad to hear that you ended up getting something better and you are happy with, you are right $200 is a cheap lesson and not worth losing your cool. Post up what you bought when you're ready. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom